Verna: Car Jerks When Accelerator / Throttle is Released

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends , i have a Fluidic Verna Crdi purchased in february 2012 . Few days back i completed my 20k kms and had my third free servicing done . I am facing a strange issue now . When i let go the throttle/accelerator my car jerks a bit to a level where its uncomfortable . Can feel the jerks in all shifts but are more evident in the first and second gear . I dont feel the jerks if the accelerator is released when clutch is applied . Did anyone of you have faced a similar issue .
Also my car comes with extended warranty , is it provided by hyundai or the showroom where i purchased it ? Can anyone clarify .

Re: Verna : Car jerks when accelerator/throttle is released

Have you taken the car to the Hyundai Service Station and pointed out the issue to them?

What was done at the 3rd free service?

It could be a fuel pump issue.You should take the car to the service station and get the problem diagnosed.A common problem with a lot of Verna's is the clutch slave cylinder.Get the clutch cover,clutch plate, bearing, master cylinder, slave cylinder checked if the issue is not related to the fuel pump.

If your car is equipped with a tachometer, you can check if its a clutch issue.A worn out clutch will slip and to reach a certain speed,the engine will have to revved higher than usual.

Most service stations will hook up an ECU reader and check for faults.Ask them to check all electrical connections.Sometimes faulty electrical connections can cause issues with the fuel pump.Like the coupler that connects the ignition to the fuel pump.One of our members here faced a similar issue.

Last edited:
Re: Verna : Car jerks when accelerator/throttle is released

Hi friends , i have a Fluidic Verna Crdi purchased in february 2012 . Few days back i completed my 20k kms and had my third free servicing done . I am facing a strange issue now . When i let go the throttle/accelerator my car jerks a bit to a level where its uncomfortable . Can feel the jerks in all shifts but are more evident in the first and second gear . I dont feel the jerks if the accelerator is released when clutch is applied . Did anyone of you have faced a similar issue .
Also my car comes with extended warranty , is it provided by hyundai or the showroom where i purchased it ? Can anyone clarify .
Hi Rohan - I have this issue in my car (Figo D) from day one. Every time I approached the service center for this issue, they would adjust the clutch beading or something and do a mass lubrication which will work for few KMs and it will reappear. No permanent solution done yet and I am not sure whether they can find one. Even now, I have raised it with Ford again as I was suspecting it for the Low FE concern.

Have you taken the car to the Hyundai Service Station and pointed out the issue to them?

What was done at the 3rd free service?

It could be a fuel pump issue.You should take the car to the service station and get the problem diagnosed.A common problem with a lot of Verna's is the clutch slave cylinder.Get the clutch cover,clutch plate, bearing, master cylinder, slave cylinder checked if the issue is not related to the fuel pump.

If your car is equipped with a tachometer, you can check if its a clutch issue.A worn out clutch will slip and to reach a certain speed,the engine will have to revved higher than usual.

Most service stations will hook up an ECU reader and check for faults.Ask them to check all electrical connections.Sometimes faulty electrical connections can cause issues with the fuel pump.Like the coupler that connects the ignition to the fuel pump.One of our members here faced a similar issue.
Hi Jarpickle - Seriously man, you have a lot of points for every issue. Appreciate it.

Here is my understanding in this issue. This could be basically due to the mismatch or desynchronization with the Engine RPM & Speed. Say if the RPM in tacho is 2000 in 2nd gear and when the clutch is engaged, it would go down to the idle range say 850 and once the gear is shifted and clutch disengaged, it will go to 1500 or so. I believe, this is normal as the RPM for 2nd & 3rd gears would vary. However, the speed of the vehicle (Wheels) would remain the same or may not drop as much as the engine speed did. So the Engine RPM after the shift isn't matching or lesser than the Speed or Wheel RPM which is causing this Jerk. Similarly, a forward jerk can be felt if the Engine RPM is more than of the wheels.

I tried to match it with little extra throttle, which may burn more fuel and at times gives a forward jerk, but isn't smooth or better matched. I suspected my driving style and tried in other cars, they were perfect!

Anything related to accelrator points at fuel .
Jarpickle is correct . Could be faulty fuel pump or cheap fuel filter .

What is happening is when you feed accelerator fuel is flowing in a stream but that too at bit slower pace which is quite manageable by engine but when you take the foot off it becomes really less.

Did they cleaned the throttle body when serviced . Did they stuffed up maf.
Mass air flow sensor ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is happening is when you feed accelerator fuel is flowing in a stream but that too at bit slower pace which is quite manageable by engine but when you take the foot off it becomes really less.
Understood. But what if it would jerk even if the throttle wasn't given? Means, just by disengaging clutch and not giving throttle. It happens in my case.

You mean the car jerks when the car is in neutral?That could be due to not pressing the clutch pedal fully while disengaging.

If you are at a higher speed and then want to go to a lower gear, you can use the brakes to lower the speed then down shift.If you do not brake and then lower the gear, you would use your clutch to reduce the speed and that will wear down the clutch.Most cars will pull in high gears and when the speed reduces to match a lower gear that is when you can downshift without braking.

You mean the car jerks when the car is in neutral?That could be due to not pressing the clutch pedal fully while disengaging.

If you are at a higher speed and then want to go to a lower gear, you can use the brakes to lower the speed then down shift.If you do not brake and then lower the gear, you would use your clutch to reduce the speed and that will wear down the clutch.Most cars will pull in high gears and when the speed reduces to match a lower gear that is when you can downshift without braking.
No Jarpickle. While upshifting. All the points I was referring to were while upshifting only. I do understand the scenario on downshifting.

Start from basics. Check your clutch. I feel the problem is there. As you say the problem disappears when clutch pedal is pushed down.
How do you feel the clutch pedal after servicing?

If the RPM is lower and you engage a higher gear the car will jerk.You upshift at the rev limit or a certain speed suitable for the next higher gear.Sometimes if you rev too high you can upshift two gears instead of one.

All gear boxes are different and the speed for a certain gear and certain speed are different in all cars.Some are geared shorter and some taller, depends on what kind of operating environment and geography the car is designed for.Having more gears is actually good.

If the RPM is lower and you engage a higher gear the car will jerk.You upshift at the rev limit or a certain speed suitable for the next higher gear.Sometimes if you rev too high you can upshift two gears instead of one.

All gear boxes are different and the speed for a certain gear and certain speed are different in all cars.Some are geared shorter and some taller, depends on what kind of operating environment and geography the car is designed for.Having more gears is actually good.
Yes. I understand this point. Hence, I have tried upshifting in different RPM levels, but no luck. Maybe the Jerk is more or less, but present. Very few occasions, I am able to synchronize to near perfect being extremely conscious on clutch disengagement. Whereas, I didn't feel the same in other Figos. Was able to upshift and move normally without any difficulty.

Does the Figo use a hydraulic clutch.If so, has the oil been changed at the specified interval?Are they using DOT4 oil?(clear in color)

In a hydraulic clutch the components that can go bad are the master cylinder and the slave cylinder.

In addition if the hydraulic components fail the clutch will not be too far behind.This may be another thing to check on your trip to the service station.

Btw, Fiogian please ask queries specific to your car on your thread.We have highjacked Rohan's thread here.

Does the Figo use a hydraulic clutch.If so, has the oil been changed at the specified interval?Are they using DOT4 oil?(clear in color)
Yes, it's hydraulic. The Brake/Clutch oil was changed in last 40K service and it's 45K now. However, I have been having this issue from day one.

In a hydraulic clutch the components that can go bad are the master cylinder and the slave cylinder.
I will have them check on it.

In addition if the hydraulic components fail the clutch will not be too far behind.This may be another thing to check on your trip to the service station.
Sorry, couldn't understand this point.

Btw, Fiogian please ask queries specific to your car on your thread.We have highjacked Rohan's thread here.
Yeah... Even I realized it while posting the last comment. I jumped in the thread thinking the issue could be same for both and whatever been discussed could be mutually beneficial. I do have a thread (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...557-jerks-while-shifting-gears-ford-figo.html) that was created long ago. You may check the same and comment there too.

Sorry Rohan, over to you... [;)]

If the hydraulic components, the master and slave cylinder that actuate the clutch fail it will lead to improper actuation of the clutch.This will lead to more wear.

If the hydraulic components have failed, after they are changed the clutch needs to be bled just like the brakes.This is to remove any air trapped in the lines.You can compare the feel of the clutch pedal with the brake pedal since both are hydraulic.

Check if your clutch fluid reservoir is closed properly.

Thread Starter #14
Took the car to the service center and guess what , problem solved !
Who would have thought that the main culprit would have been RATS !
Guys at Sharayu Hyundai checked the fuel pump , throttle cable , mounts , clutch etc but everything was fine , hooked the car to some machine and got the root cause which was faulty electronics . Apparently the rats in our locality have made a liking for the costly wires . Wires in one of the sensor that regulates flow of fuel was chewed up and hence the jerking . I didnt even knew that my reverse parking sensors were also malfunctioning , repaired that too .
Good thing was that they did not charge me for this and even apologized since they didnt notice it during the third servicing !

Last edited:
Took the car to the service center and guess what , problem solved !
Who would have thought that the main culprit would have been RATS !
Guys at Sharayu Hyundai checked the fuel pump , throttle cable , mounts , clutch etc but everything was fine , hooked the car to some machine and got the root cause which was faulty electronics . Apparently the rats in our locality have made a liking for the costly wires . Wires in one of the sensor that regulates flow of fuel was chewed up and hence the jerking . I didnt even knew that my reverse parking sensors were also malfunctioning , repaired that too .
Good thing was that they did not charge me for this and even apologized since they didnt notice it during the third servicing !
Like I said, it was an issue related to the fuel pump.Put some rat poison in your engine back and in the rear, rats do love wiring.

Top Bottom