Maruti 800 Starting Issues After a Long Time of Lying Idle

Thread Starter #1
Hello
I have a '95 Maruti 800 (carb). It had been lying idle for 8-10 months. Hadn't been started even once. The battery was dead so I fixed a new one today. Tried starting it but it just won't start. Battery's brand new so no problem there. Starter's working like a charm. I don't think the engine is turning over (cranking). The starter just keeps making that starting sound. I tried it 6 times for about 8 seconds each, 1 minute apart. Tried the choke too. Are the pistons jammed? Should I pull the spark plugs out and spray some engine oil into the cylinders? (If I can find the damn spark plugs, that is) How do you manually crank the engine? Where can I find the harmonic balancer? Or should I simply call a mechanic?
Thanks in advance.

Hello czarsid, If the stater is making the starting sound, i think the pistons are not jammed because the starter motor is rotating the flywheel and inturn the crankshaft is being rotated, and if the crank is rotating, the pistons are also moving. If the pistons were not moving, then the starter would not have made starting noise.
I will suggest you to clean the sparkplugs (if required replace), airfilter(if required replace), clean or rebuild the carburettor and change the petrol filter and then try starting the car.
Also check the distributor and the ignition coil.
Since the car is lying idle for 8-10 months it would be better to replace the engine oil and oil filter also.

800 Carb is a fantastic car & very few things can actually go wrong if you park it for a long time.

1. Battery - good that you replaced it
2. Cranking but not starting - fuel supply could be a issue. So just pour about a few ml of petrol into the carb opening & try cranking the car
3. Leave the key in on position & press the throttle pedal a few times & then try to crank (with pedal half pressed)
4. Check the fuel line (highlighted in pink colour in this pic below), when key is in on position it should pump petrol.

5. When you crank does the belt work? (dynamo belt & pulleys) If yes its only fuel supply & battery that you need to worry about.

Check the last page in my thread - may be useful to you. Do remove the airfilter box completely before doing so.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...0-1991-tonnes-pics-uploaded-3.html#post308250

Hi Team,

I Am new to TAI as following the threads frequently. iam having question with the same problem with my maruti 800 97 model Carb starting problem. replaced the carb jets with mech and check with ignition coil and dynamo and pulley is checked and working fine. recently serviceing is also done 2 days back. this starting problem irritates and more over vehicle stopps in running. please post with any more ideas and help me out.

With Reagrds,
Hari

Top Bottom