Restoring My 1998 Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends,this is my second thread on TAI, here i am glad to introduce my 15 year old beauty maruthi 800 purchased as pre owned car in 2000. as it started to decay due to ravages of time we decided to give her a fresh paint instead of disposing the car,because it holds some unforgotable memories with itself.I am planing to keep it with me as long i survive,surely after 25 to 30 years it will become an antique model.

The car is powered by 796 cc 8FB series non turbo gasoline engine with fully mechanical carburetion fuel injection syestem mated with 4 speed slide mesh gear box.The engine is returning the fuel efficiency of about 16 kmpl, the cars peppy and responsive motor gives the car very fun driving character.the engine is smooth but emits lots of vibrations at idling obviously it is a 3 cylinder pot.my 800 had been clocked 272000 kms and recieved engine re boring at 127000 kms while another next overhauling period i am planing to install half engine available at maruthi dealers .

+ves and -ves of 800;

+ves
-easy to drive in urban areas
-resonsive fun to drive
-proportionated and cute design (but now out dated)
-highly reliable due to fully mechanical operation(no electronic mess except distributer breaker piont)
-obviously low maintenance cost

-ves
-poor built quality
-poor brakes
-some issues (cross member frequently corrodes)
-cramped rear seat
-out dated (BUT ONCE IT WAS A SIZZLING STAR)

Restoration process;
-full body tinkering and repainting,replacement of lower arm tie rod ends and ball joints.
-new bumpers and head light assembly
and other miscellaneous works resulted the total cost of 35000 at apoorwa authorised maruthi service station at Tumkur.

few pictures are here

Photo0113.jpg

Photo0117.jpg

Photo0121.jpg

Photo0124.jpg

Photo0127.jpg

Photo0128.jpg

Photo0129.jpg

Photo0132.jpg

Dear Prakash Car looks beautiful and New Age.neat and clean. few suggestion from my side

-Bumper painted,door handle painted white
- Try new Leather Seat colors with Black color and White Stitching
- Alloys Try it
-replace the Tail Light and heal light Type 3 (latest)
under dash lights and that stuff..

btw car is aws. looking nothing to do that.but if you need. then do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
Dear Prakash Car looks beautiful and New Age.neat and clean. few suggestion from my side

-Bumper painted,door handle painted white
- Try new Leather Seat colors with Black color and White Stitching
- Alloys Try it
-replace the Tail Light and heal light Type 3 (latest)
under dash lights and that stuff..

btw car is aws. looking nothing to do that.but if you need. then do it
Dear friend,
Thanks for your suggestion,but my plan was to restore it as the way it came out from the assembly line in those days,but unfortunately i cant get the type 2 radiator grill so the car got fitted with T-3 grill.

Hi Vijayprakash,

I must say the car is absolutely looking gorgeous. 2,72,000 kms?????????? When I get to hear such high number of kms on the odo my love increases and increases towards the cute 800. Me too own a M800 - 1993 model.

These pics are after restoration. Where are the old pics and WIP pics. ?? IMHO the type 3 grill looks much better than the OE grill(also known as smiley grill).
For the corrosion of cross member, you could have done proper anti-rust treatment.
And for poor brakes, get the brake booster installed. Take a look at this thread for more info. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/6996-brakes-booster-brand-new-clutch-maruti-800-a.html
For the cramped rear seats, get some foam insertion work done. After this the seat will be sofa like [;)]

So now as the car is restored, what are your future plans about accessories and modifications

The car is looking very nice.

These pics are after restoration. Where are the old pics and WIP pics. ?? IMHO the type 3 grill looks much better than the OE grill(also known as smiley grill).
For the corrosion of cross member, you could have done proper anti-rust treatment.
And for poor brakes, get the brake booster installed. Take a look at this thread for more info. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/6996-brakes-booster-brand-new-clutch-maruti-800-a.html
For the cramped rear seats, get some foam insertion work done. After this the seat will be sofa like [;)]

So now as the car is restored, what are your future plans about accessories and modifications. BTW, I also own a 93 model Maruti 800.

Thread Starter #10
The car is looking very nice.

So now as the car is restored, what are your future plans about accessories and modifications. BTW, I also own a 93 model Maruti 800.
Dear shantanu,
thanks for your wonderful suggestion i will surely install the brake booster.iam not intrested to modify the car and installing any accessories to it. sorry, because no picture of it was taken before restoring it, obviously it was highly corroded and had major dents and scraches all over the body.and also i cant get the original paint shade(milk white) so it got painted superior white (wagon r's paint)

Last edited:
The brake booster is a very good upgrade for the braking system of the M800.The restoration job looks great.Good quality work done by the mechanics.

Try to get the KBX brake booster kit because it has all the necessary parts needed for the install.From MGP you will only find the booster with master cylinder and you will have to search for the other parts and they are not very easy to come by.There is not difference in the MGP booster and the KBX one.KBX makes the MGP one.

If you want to get rid of the breaker points, you can try the MPI kit that I am using.It has 1 coil per cylinder, comes with 3 platinum spark plugs.Has one year unconditional replacement warranty.I have been using it for over 2 years now.The mileage has increased and the car is super smooth.No more changing distributor points.

PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
You car looks great even after clocking 2.5 + lakhs kms.

Engine bay is neatly maintained, its this car converted from type one ?

First thing, get a brake booster installed..

Top Bottom