Strange Sound On Taking U-Turn / Right Turn in Maruti Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys, Whenever i take a right turn or a u-turn in my maruti alto ('07 model) it makes the 'kat-kat-kat-kat' kind of sound. This sound does not come or has never occured when taking a left turn. What does this mean ? Should i get it checked ?[confused]

Re: Strange sound when taking a u-turn or right turn in maruti alto

It is probably the left side drive shaft related issue.

Left turn + kat-kat noise = right side drive shaft problem
right turn + kat-kat noise = left side drive shaft problem

Usually replacing the drive shaft is the right solution, but again depends on how long you have used the car. What is the odometer reading of your car?

Here is a pic of Palio drive shaft - (in somewhat good condition)
1-28-Palio in detail! 028.jpg
Here is a pic of the MGP packing for M800 drive shaft & the next pic is of the contents in it.
drive shaft boot (1).jpg

drive shaft boot (2).jpg

There is no point in replacing the drive shaft boots (costing about 500/-) if your car has already covered more than 50K kms. Although it very much depends on how & where you drive the car, still I would anyday suggest replacing the complete shaft instead of just the boots. Labour cost remains almost same for both the works. Skip VR brand use MGP, even Delphi is not that good.

Also almost all local garages will suggest you to try "Reekan" drive shafts (local slang for re-con/ re-conditioned), these are basically old drive whafts whose CV joints are replaced by cutting & welding. Not worth a penny though.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

It is Right side + kat-kat noise. My car is 2007 model. I bought it in september 2012 as second hand. At that time, The odo read 18121 kms. Now i've clocked around 26000 kms. So you suggest replacing the complete shaft ? How much will it cost ?

Thread Starter #5

Another thing is the sound does not come everytime i take a right turn or u-turn. Sometimes it comes, sometimes it does not.

Re: Strange Soun On Taking U-Turn / Right Turn in Maruti Alto

Your drive shaft seems to be alright (as per that picture). Most of the time drive shaft sounds cant be heard inside the car if there is a passenger sitting next to driver seat (weight on floor, doesnt allow noise to completely enter cabin). Did you check the right side drive shaft too (just asking).

Try taking right/u turns with & without passengers (at dead low speeds) pref with steering about 70% locked in right side direction.

Approx. Cost of drive shaft will be around - 3500/- (MGP) call up any MGP spares shop they will tell you the price for sure. But I am also confused now after aseeing no grease! no tear on boot!

Thread Starter #7

Your drive shaft seems to be alright (as per that picture). Most of the time drive shaft sounds cant be heard inside the car if there is a passenger sitting next to driver seat (weight on floor, doesnt allow noise to completely enter cabin). Did you check the right side drive shaft too (just asking).

Try taking right/u turns with & without passengers (at dead low speeds) pref with steering about 70% locked in right side direction.

Approx. Cost of drive shaft will be around - 3500/- (MGP) call up any MGP spares shop they will tell you the price for sure. But I am also confused now after aseeing no grease! no tear on boot!
I THINK i heard that 'kat-kat' sound when there was a passenger sitting next to me but it definitely came when i was driving alone. Right drive shaft seems to be fine (Anyway will post a pic) Yes i did take a right turn/u turn a dead low speed but the steering locked at 100% in right side direction (Never heard the sound at 70% locked in right side direction). Whenever i turn the steering in 100% right side direction only i hear this sound. Otherwise no. And like i said before, Only sometimes the sound comes when i turn 100% locked in right side direction. Sometimes it doesn't come. I think while taking turns at 70% locked in right side direction and all the sound doesn't come.

Thread Starter #8

I THINK i heard that 'kat-kat' sound when there was a passenger sitting next to me but it definitely came when i was driving alone. Right drive shaft seems to be fine (Anyway will post a pic) Yes i did take a right turn/u turn a dead low speed but the steering locked at 100% in right side direction (Never heard the sound at 70% locked in right side direction). Whenever i turn the steering in 100% right side direction only i hear this sound. Otherwise no. And like i said before, Only sometimes the sound comes when i turn 100% locked in right side direction. Sometimes it doesn't come. I think while taking turns at 70% locked in right side direction and all the sound doesn't come.
I too am confused on seeing no grease or tear on the boot. What could be the problem ?! [confused]

In that case it is probably the initial stages of wear & tear. You can drive around for about 5K kms atleast before the sound increases & the think of changing it. At 100% locked position there is a lot of load on the CV joint in the drive shaft, so even a mildly worn out drive shaft will make noise. However as the cv joint is worn more & more, the sound gradually starts to come at even 60 - 70% locked state. Good to hear that the sound comes only at 100% turned condition.

I am sure it is nothing to worry about as of now. Each drive shaft has 2cv joints protected by grease & rubber boots. I have seen cars which have no issues @ even 70000kms still running on stock drive shafts!

Thread Starter #10

In that case it is probably the initial stages of wear & tear. You can drive around for about 5K kms atleast before the sound increases & the think of changing it. At 100% locked position there is a lot of load on the CV joint in the drive shaft, so even a mildly worn out drive shaft will make noise. However as the cv joint is worn more & more, the sound gradually starts to come at even 60 - 70% locked state. Good to hear that the sound comes only at 100% turned condition.

I am sure it is nothing to worry about as of now. Each drive shaft has 2cv joints protected by grease & rubber boots. I have seen cars which have no issues @ even 70000kms still running on stock drive shafts!
Oh okay. Good to know ss80. Thanks a lot for the help [clap]

Thread Starter #11

New update ss80. I am now getting the drive shaft replaced under firstchoice warranty. But he is telling me the right hand side drive shaft is gone. But earlier didn't you tell me that Left turn + kat-kat noise = right side drive shaft problem and right turn + kat-kat noise = left side drive shaft problem???? I am confused. And btw, At dead low speed when turning right at 100 % locked position, the sound does not come. But when turning full right at 100% locked at speeds above 20, the sound comes. The sound is lesser when there is a passenger sitting next to me but still the sound is heard. Please help.

Also get all the bushes in the suspension checked.Strut bushes, lower arms bushes and balance rod bushes

I am now getting the drive shaft replaced under firstchoice warranty. But he is telling me the right hand side drive shaft is gone. But earlier didn't you tell me that Left turn + kat-kat noise = right side drive shaft problem and right turn + kat-kat noise = left side drive shaft problem???? I am confused. And btw, At dead low speed when turning right at 100 % locked position, the sound does not come. But when turning full right at 100% locked at speeds above 20, the sound comes. The sound is lesser when there is a passenger sitting next to me but still the sound is heard. Please help.
Hi, Speed_freak
It is good news that you are getting the drive shaft replaced under firstchoice warranty. Now coming to the low kat kat sound tell the firstchoice people to check the steering ball joint / rack mechanism and lubricate it. This could be the source for the low sound when you have a co-passenger .
Thankyou
satyabobby9.

New update ss80. I am now getting the drive shaft replaced under firstchoice warranty. But he is telling me the right hand side drive shaft is gone. But earlier didn't you tell me that Left turn + kat-kat noise = right side drive shaft problem and right turn + kat-kat noise = left side drive shaft problem???? I am confused. And btw, At dead low speed when turning right at 100 % locked position, the sound does not come. But when turning full right at 100% locked at speeds above 20, the sound comes. The sound is lesser when there is a passenger sitting next to me but still the sound is heard. Please help.
Happy to know that the warranty is covering the drive shaft replacement. Yes left turn + noise = RH drive shaft issue, right side +noise = LH drive shaft issue.
Please ask some aged senior mechanic to check it and then replace the actual damaged one. Waiting for your update[:)]

Thread Starter #15

Guys, now firstchoice has changed it's mind. They said they will re-condition the drive shaft and give it to me. Is it worth it? ss80, You have already told me that re-conditioning is not worth a penny though. Should i go ahead. The car is already in the workshop for the past one week standing still. It even missed it's 6th year birthday with me yesterday. Should i wait for it or take the car and bring it home?

Top Bottom