Chevrolet Sail Fuel Tank in Front + Other Safety Concerns

Thread Starter #1
Sail car comes with fuel tank in the front under driver or codriver seat unlike in other cars.Does this have any safety concerns in a front head on collission I mean fuel tank more chance of catching fire

Re: Chevrolet Sail Fuel Tank in Front - A Concern?

Actually for any car, driver's seat is roughly at the middle of the length. Hence it is more safer to have the tank at that place.

In a Sedan/hatch I believe the floor is one of the toughest areas to bend/flex, in case of afrontal collision, most impact is taken out by the engine bay, pillars, firewall etc & the tank is below the cabin (which is tougher than other areas) so hence I doubt if it will have any chances of catching fire. I heard that even the Old honda city had the fuel tank below driver seat, not sure though.

OT:
If you are right then new Swift Owners will be more worried (than Sail guys) as their tanks are plastic! & they have the exhaust pipe going close enough (with a skinny heat shield saving the tank). No offense to any swift owner though. Companies do enough research before launching a product, I dont think it will be a major issue/concern.

:eek: A PLASTIC FUEL TANK ?? WHAT THE .. !! I NEVER KNEW THAT !! DOES OTHER CARS HAVE THEM OR ITS ONLY THE SWIFT ?? Hey Maruti,How about taking out the heat shield and mounting the exhaust to go over the fuel tank so it will help you to save more money and we all can see swifts blowing up in the sky?? Stupid Maruti Guys !! Always trying to reduce costs and not even caring for the customer's Safety !! Anyway Kenlitting,The Floor is the strongest part of a car.Chevy guys (Actually Daewoo) positioned it into the centere so it is more safer in a collision or an impact (Anywhere-Frontal,Side,Rear).Thank you

Stupid Maruti Guys !!
Really?
Then it's not only Maruti engineers are stupid, the one who approved it (Homologation) and the one who buys it (we, customers) were also stupids [frustration]

You may express your individual thoughts, but better to mind your words. I repeat my statement again, OEMs don't make vehicles, they DESIGN IT.

Thank you Mr.Patil,But THEY CAN MELT !! It is very Dangerous !!
Metal tanks are prone to corrode. Corroded tanks are equally dangerous. What is your take on that???

Non-metal fuel tanks are considered more safe than metal ones. Not only Maruti but others (eg Honda) have them.

Also in Jazz, the tank is under the driver's seat and I dont hear of any Honda's catching fire. Hence the Swift should be good too.

Sail car comes with fuel tank in the front under driver or codriver seat unlike in other cars.Does this have any safety concerns in a front head on collission I mean fuel tank more chance of catching fire
Fuel tank under front seat is more safer than at the rear.

Especially in case of hatches, during rear collision the possibility of rear beam deformation / spring breakage and damaging the fuel tank is more (there is a special check-point / testing on this subject, and OEMs do take atmost care on the same)

Another worrying feature in Sail-UVa (sister of Sail). Rear hatchback door when left open is not detected by Door Ajar warning sound/light in the odometer console, it is the case with both base and LS models but not LT. is it true? guys who owns the UVa please share. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Folks
Experienced, Professional (Mr. Boss) car owners..please help me out..
In regard to my previous post about Chevrolet Sail-UVa safety features..since there is no reply from anybody, I hope I am the only person who owns the Sail-UVa hatchback (for various reasons).Hence decide to write more about the issue in detail and see if Chevrolet makes a favorable decision to include these safety features (comparatively less expensive than the ABS+Airbag, certainly) available to all the variants in Sail-Uva
I would very much appreciate if anyone could help/support me in these issues

Here is what I have arrived at since the last post from my recent experience with the Chevrolet service center (Nagari, Madurai-ARAS dealers).
In Sail UVa these basic safety features are not included in the Base and LS model (Abs+air bag-but no central lock remote):
1. Rear Door Ajar security warning alarm/light doesnt sense the boot door when it is open (rear hatchback door)
2. Reading light (above drivers head) doesnt detect the boot door when it is open.
3. Remote lock security alarm (AutoCop) doesnt sense when the rear hatch back door is open (required a new wire to be installed for that purpose) even when closed using the keyless entry remote[cry] (had to pay Rs. 600 for installation!! from the dealer)

Please help!![cry] please help[cry]
please Direct me if I have not posted in the right title/topic/forum ..else I will keep reposting the same issue until i receive a reply from any Professional member..(Mr. Boss for instance)

^^ It is very common IIRC. Every manufacturer misses out one while providing other.

In your case, If you have ABS+Air Bags, you don't even whine about these small things. They aren't deal breaker IMO. Think about other people, who buy car for 8+ L and still no ABS/Air Bags. It is the compromise you are willing to take and you know this while buying.

Better will be, be happy that you have safety feature @ low cost and try to live with it. If not, visit Coimbatore VOC Park to get some quality fitted security system which can do what you need.

3. Remote lock security alarm (AutoCop) doesnt sense when the rear hatch back door is open (required a new wire to be installed for that purpose) even when closed using the keyless entry remote[cry] (had to pay Rs. 600 for installation!! from the dealer)
I hope the 600INR isn't only for the wire, it should include a switch as well. I would suggest you to get it installed.

Top Bottom