Chevrolet Sail U-VA Mileage Concern

Thread Starter #1
hi guys,
I have got a new Sail Uva Diesel, though was very excited after the purchase but lately its been a concern.
My car has run more than a couple of thousands in 3 months but now I am spending money on fuel like water.
Its delievering somewhere around 12kmpl. First service is done, took twice after that to the service station but no result.
They asked me to get the tank full and switch to 5th gear after 50, tried but no help.
Read online an another owner was getting around 5-6 kmpl.
M pretty worried pals, please guide

Thanks in advance

Re: Sail Uva Mileage Concern

ahh !! that is a average FE for a hatch. My firend has a sail sedan TDCi and he said it gives him 15 to 16km/ltr. Even my 5 year old Optra Magnum TCDi 2.0 gives me around 15km/ltr. How is your driving style? Are you a heavy footer or car lover? In what intervals do you change gears? When do you air check your tyres?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I heard GM stops selling sail sedan and hatch due to engine failures also they are recalling all the sail sedan and hatch. Shocking to hear this. This information was in today's Wheelocity show.

@Rover

If I am not wrong, this UVA is fitted with same Fiat engine which works in Swift, Ritz, Vista.

Please wait till car completes at least 10000km to see the proper FE of the car, till then do not worry buddy[:)]

You missed punto :D but that does not mean same mileage and power on all these models. It is the refinement in the engine that matters sucess :)

my sail sedan is giving me around 16-17 kmpl and my car has 8000 km on the odo.dealer asked me to wait till fist oil change which is at 15000 km.

is that true that GM is recalling sail sedans for engine failures? heart broken!

Yes Siva today morning I watched weelocity show in Zee Business and was shocked to hear that.

Here is a link about it. So sad
http://motoroids.com/news/chevrolet-sail-diesel-variants-go-out-of-production-is-this-the-improved-model/

Last edited:
I face similar problem with our Sail U-va too. Our car has clocked around 14k kms and still returns in the range of 15-16 kpl. Swift used and Fabia still gives 18-19 kpl in the same driving cycle.

I thought that might be because of the poor tuning of the engine, that requires too many gearshifts. Also the engine gets loud even at 2000rpm(like its 3500rpm) and makes us upshift early. Now I'm thinking, maybe this may be a reason Chevrolet has stopped production and working on it.

It is always a good idea to change the oil after the initial 1000kms run in, even if the manual says 15000kms.Change the oil and the filter.

During the initial period the engine undergoes wear so all the components get seated correctly and this affects the mileage that you will get later on with the vehicle.

Change the oil and filter and see if it helps.The change wont be noticeable as soon as you do the change but gradually.Also get all the engine bolts properly torques and spark plugs(for petrol)checked as well.

Check the air filter as well and get it cleaned with compressed air.If its too dirty go for a new one.

Also check your driving habits, riding the clutch will reduce mileage too.

Check your fuel filter and try to get fuel at Company Owned Company Operated(COCO) fuel bunks.This will ensure good quality fuel.If changing the oil did not help with the mileage try to get premium fuel from COCO fuel bunks, try it for 2-3 tankfills and then check the result.

Premium fuels have additives that clear the fuel lines and system and have a slightly higher octane so less fuel is used and more combustion is produced.If you are not getting the benefits from premium fuel or if your car is producing too much smoke(running richer), then first reset the ecu by taking of the battery terminals and leaving it overnight(this may not be an option if you park on the street or if your neighborhood has a lot of thefts).Once the ecu is reset it will balance the air fuel mixture and you should be see just the amount of smoke as you did with normal fuel.Try premium fuel for atleast 2-3 tankfills.

Once you have changed the oil, take you car on to the open roads or any national highway and hit the highest speed you are comfortable with.This will burn off any carbon deposits and the engine will get free.

Last edited:
@Rover

If I am not wrong, this UVA is fitted with same Fiat engine which works in Swift, Ritz, Vista.

Please wait till car completes at least 10000km to see the proper FE of the car, till then do not worry buddy[:)]
Not the same FIAT engine but the same engine manufactured by GM themselves. When multi-jet was being researched, FIAT and GM were partners to it. Hence GM can use the same blueprint without paying any royalty to FIAT. But they manufacture it independently and I guess its here where they are going wrong.

Maruti, TATA source their multijet engines from FIAT (I guess except the plastic cover on top) and hence we have not got any terrible issues so far.

Guess FIAT has not passed on some manufacturing secrets to GM and are now grinning among themselves.

hi guys,
I have got a new Sail Uva Diesel, though was very excited after the purchase but lately its been a concern.
My car has run more than a couple of thousands in 3 months but now I am spending money on fuel like water.
Its delievering somewhere around 12kmpl. First service is done, took twice after that to the service station but no result.
They asked me to get the tank full and switch to 5th gear after 50, tried but no help.
Read online an another owner was getting around 5-6 kmpl.
M pretty worried pals, please guide

Thanks in advance

Hi Rover, thank you for raising this concern. Kindly share your contact details along with dealer name at gmi.cac@gm.com and we shall get in touch with you.

I face similar problem with our Sail U-va too. Our car has clocked around 14k kms and still returns in the range of 15-16 kpl. Swift used and Fabia still gives 18-19 kpl in the same driving cycle.

I thought that might be because of the poor tuning of the engine, that requires too many gearshifts. Also the engine gets loud even at 2000rpm(like its 3500rpm) and makes us upshift early. Now I'm thinking, maybe this may be a reason Chevrolet has stopped production and working on it.

Hi Crazy Cat,

The fuel economy of a car depends on various external factors like traffic and road conditions, idle time, tyre pressure, speed adopted, acceleration pattern and many more. For further understanding, we would recommend you to visit your nearest service center regarding the same. Else you may share your contact details with us at gmi.cac@gm.com & we shall get in touch with you.

Not the same FIAT engine but the same engine manufactured by GM themselves. When multi-jet was being researched, FIAT and GM were partners to it. Hence GM can use the same blueprint without paying any royalty to FIAT. But they manufacture it independently and I guess its here where they are going wrong.

Maruti, TATA source their multijet engines from FIAT (I guess except the plastic cover on top) and hence we have not got any terrible issues so far.

Guess FIAT has not passed on some manufacturing secrets to GM and are now grinning among themselves.
But for Beat, they used the same engine with one cylinder chopped off at 998CC. And that returns good FE of 18-19 in city. So how did they go wrong with the 1248CC version?

Its really sad my neighbour had bought a red sail U-VA a week back its his first car and its really a [shock]and bad news for him, moreover i remember he telling its a whopping 7.8L for the car:frown:

It is realy sad when these companies recall for a engineering failure. They are realy playing with customer faith. [frustration] God only know how the new Enjoy is built

Top Bottom