Ran Fast Over Speed Breaker

Thread Starter #1
In my office parking zone they have installed a new speed breaker. I was not aware of that. It was just after a turn. I ran over it at around 30 kmph. I heard a bang sound and felt like the car was in air for a second. :(

I am afraid that I could have damaged the under chassis or the steering column or suspension.

It was a sharp speed bump. I am sure the speed would havent been more than 30kmph. It is Ford FIGO.
Is there anything I can check by myself to ensure there is no damage?

Please advice.

Thanks!!

Re: Ran over speed breaker fast

Vehicles are usually made to withstand such trauma (it only happened once after all ). Does it ride well as before - any untoward sound ?
Check the coil springs and if you landed in an awkward way may be even the tyre alignment. In all probability I dont expect any damage!

Thread Starter #3

Thanks Iron Rock.

It just happened before I park today in office parking lot (have driven less than 100m after this incident). Will check the ride quality once going home.

It was a steep and new speed bump. I heard a loud bump sound twice (for front and rear wheels). Looks like suspension went full and bounced back :( The only good thing was I was driving alone so there was not much load on the car.

Chill dude cars are built to take such pain. Although this does not mean that every sppedbraker is meant for this but just going once and that too woth not much laden weight or speed everything should be fine. As said above just check if the car is running the same way as it was running in morning. However if you feel any abnormal sound then get it checked ASAP from ASS.

In my office parking zone they have installed a new speed breaker. I was not aware of that. It was just after a turn. I ran over it at around 30 kmph. I heard a bang sound and felt like the car was in air for a second. :(

I am afraid that I could have damaged the under chassis or the steering column or suspension.

It was a sharp speed bump. I am sure the speed would havent been more than 30kmph. It is Ford FIGO.
Is there anything I can check by myself to ensure there is no damage?

Please advice.

Thanks!!
Hi Kirubasuthan - I guess, you will be interested in this thread now... [:D] http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...car-breakers-do-they-make-any-real-sense.html

Thanks Iron Rock.

It just happened before I park today in office parking lot (have driven less than 100m after this incident). Will check the ride quality once going home.

It was a steep and new speed bump. I heard a loud bump sound twice (for front and rear wheels). Looks like suspension went full and bounced back :( The only good thing was I was driving alone so there was not much load on the car.
At first, don't worry, she will be just fine. The loud "Thud" sound is quite normal with Figo, nothing to worry. However, we just can't ignore the point that the Under Body or any other part would have taken a hit, be it major or minor. While you go back today, just move the car out of the parking lot and check for any leakages below. If negative, nothing major to worry I guess. Then, take it to FASS or any friendly neighborhood alignment center where you can put it in the lift and check the under body. If you happen to notice anything suspicious, discuss it with FASS.

My gut feeling is, it won't be a matter of concern [thumbsup]

As Figoian has suggested, just for your peace of mind take the car and get it on a lift and then inspect the underbody.For suspension, if anything was hurt it will start making noises and you will get a wobble feeling in the steering.When this happens get the car to a garage and let them take over the inspection to make sure everything is ok.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you all for your reply.

I didnt notice any abnormalities in the car [:)] Anyways will get it jacked up at ASS and check for any damages soon.

If a Figo has scraped its underbody then I shiver while thinking of what Honda cars will sound like while negotiating a newly installed mountain in Bangalore.
As already suggested by other members please get your car jacked up and do a visual inspection, cars are designed to withstand such impacts occasionally. All the best [thumbsup]

After Effects of a Manhole Bump!

Hi,

Recently bumped over an open manhole in Bangalore (not really open but lid was damaged, and was declared open by me). I'm still glad it was done by my SX4 rather than some 2-wheeler which could have caused him/her serious injuries.

Now, the after effects. Nothing seems much of a concern, but the following-

1. I hear rattling noise inside cabin (very slight).
2. This one's a concern, the front portion vibrates really high speeds over 130 kph. A slight beating noise is also heard. More felt near the pedals. I'm suspecting something with the engine.
3. Front suspension makes a screeching sound when going over normal humps at decent speed. This happens only 2-3 times in morning (or after a good night's sleep) and then would be back to normal.

I'm really not sure if all/few or none of these are impacts of that bump. I say this because I realized these randomly and not exactly after the impact. Awaiting suggestions before I head to Maruti. I don't trust them much.

TIA.

Enjoy~!

Re: After Effects of a Manhole Bump!

Hi,

Recently bumped over an open manhole in Bangalore (not really open but lid was damaged, and was declared open by me). I'm still glad it was done by my SX4 rather than some 2-wheeler which could have caused him/her serious injuries.

Now, the after effects. Nothing seems much of a concern, but the following-

1. I hear rattling noise inside cabin (very slight).
2. This one's a concern, the front portion vibrates really high speeds over 130 kph. A slight beating noise is also heard. More felt near the pedals. I'm suspecting something with the engine.
3. Front suspension makes a screeching sound when going over normal humps at decent speed. This happens only 2-3 times in morning (or after a good night's sleep) and then would be back to normal.

I'm really not sure if all/few or none of these are impacts of that bump. I say this because I realized these randomly and not exactly after the impact. Awaiting suggestions before I head to Maruti. I don't trust them much.

TIA.

Enjoy~!
In such cases there is chance that the wheel can get a bent especially if it is a steel rim. So check the particular wheel that got the impact. Secondly, any suspension part has got any damage. I think once you rectify these things you may get rid of this issue.

Get the car checked at a MASS or any reputed garage for the following

1. Bent in rim or disturbed balancing/alignment
2. Worn tie rod end, lower ball joints
3. Disturbed steering linkage
4. Any loose nut or wear in the steering column
5. Work rack bush

My Suspects are:
1: Rim might have gone bent.
2:Wheel alignment might have gone for toss leading to vibration.
3: Rattling noise could be due to Dash board or door might have misaligned.

Suspension could not be damaged as they are designed and there sole job is to take such kind of beating more or less. You can check with some bush damage for that.

Sometime if car is hit badly human see more damage than the actual due to physiological reason. If something is not happening or which were their from the past, our mind detect those more prominently after the hit.

Sorry to know that you too are a victim of BBMP's careless manhole works. Happy to see your concern for fellow road users (2wheelers) despite such a thing happening to you.

My suggestion;

Give the car a water wash (especially the underbody area) and drive the car for about 5kms on clean (dry) roads and then stop to see if any oil leaks occur from left or right struts (front suspension). Get the wheel alignment done and then check again for the sound issues.
Since you have the ZXi which has OEM alloys, I doubt if RIM would be bent, still have a visual check on the inner wall of the front rims.

Thanks a ton guys. I shall head to a Wheel alignment inspection (exclusive) in HSR Layout. Also, any idea on the suspension noise heard in the morning (as mentioned). I'm pretty sure this is a recurring problem that I noticed now. Has nothing to do with that impact.

Thanks.

Enjoy~!

Update: My front tyres deflate more rapidly than rear ones. Like, 32 to 28 in 7-8 days. No punctures found. Could it be the extra pressure exerted due to unbalanced wheel. Heading to Bimal Maruti tomorrow. I will ask them to perform wheel balancing.

Enjoy~!

Top Bottom