Preventing Water Seeping in Power Window Switches

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Monsoon is the season when our cars take a hit from both the dimensions – exteriors and interiors. It’s next to impossible to come out of the car in heavy rains without letting a few showers go inside. That’s what scares me the most. I’m trying to protect the power window switches from water for a while now. Is there anything you do to protect them?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Prevent Water Seeping in Power Window Switches

I was worried about it since the day we bought FIESTA. I use to fold a towel to and keep it over the switch assembly during rainy season.

You have scared me.
Are the switches so sensitive to water??
2 days back i got them wet to such an extent that water accumulated in the depressions present around the switches
But have been using them and didnt face any prob till now

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Prevent Water Seeping in Power Window Switches

I was worried about it since the day we bought FIESTA. I use to fold a towel to and keep it over the switch assembly during rainy season.
This is also a good solution to prevent water coming inside the switch assembly. I think there is no permanent solution for this. Keeping a piece of towel is nice one. [clap] can anybody else give more options out here???

Build an acrylic cover for it.Would make for a nice DIY.Both my cars have roll up windows so you can count me out.

Apart from that you can try the visors that fit over the door and divert the water flow.

After the deluge and hearing horror stories about people being trapped in their cars, I stay away from power windows.

Attachments

A very cheap solution guys that I've been using since years. You all must have heard of and used cellophane wraps. Yes, the same we use to keep food fresh in plastic containers.

Just put a layer of the same and wrap it around the mold. It's very elastic and stays in place. I usually put 3-4 layers so that pressing the PW buttons doesn't tear the sheets too soon. If all sheets tear off, just add more layers after removing the torn layers. [:)]

A very nice thread Vibhor [clap]

Lamination or using cellophane is a good DIY. Else keeping a towel, synthetic sheet also is good idea.

Cheers,
Anshuman

It’s next to impossible to come out of the car in heavy rains without letting a few showers go inside. That’s what scares me the most. I’m trying to protect the power window switches from water for a while now. Is there anything you do to protect them?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Is this issue particular to Fiesta? Sorry about this question, I haven't heard of this issue before, nor have experienced.

By the way just out of curosity - Why shall these swicthes come in water contact if you close the windows in rains?

By the way just out of curosity - Why shall these swicthes come in water contact if you close the windows in rains?
I think what Vibhor tried to explain is, while getting in/out into/from the car in heavy rain, your doors and power window switches get wet. He wanted to avoid that.

Though its better not to let water seep into, The switches are designed to take a bit of moisture without any issues. There's no electronic circuit out here, just spring loaded contacts. And the water drops from rain (while opening and closing the door) wont be a problem at all.

Though its better not to let water seep into, The switches are designed to take a bit of moisture without any issues. There's no electronic circuit out here, just spring loaded contacts. And the water drops from rain (while opening and closing the door) wont be a problem at all.
Thanks for the clarification bro, now i am tension free.

Exactly the problem I'm facing. Till now I've been using a cloth to wipe it dry. Need to try the plastic wrap. How about using some cling film from the kitchen.

@Peter:Thats is exactly the suggestion that freakdude gave.You can also you silica gel packets to absorb the moisture.The small sachets that come with shoes and other leather goods.

Top Bottom