My Maruti 800 Clutch and Suspension Overhaul

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys, As you all know we restored our Maruti 800 to its original glory some time back.
LINK- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...1552-maruti-800-1992-model-restoration-1.html
In that restoration work we concentrated only on body work and very less mechanical works.
During my this semester break when I came home and drove my car I heard various noises from the front end of the car. The noises were:-
Kat-kat:- only while turning the car
Dhak dhak- On bad roads
When I inspected the car I found both the axles to be faulty and thus producing that kat kat sound while turning.
The dhak dhak sound was due to faulty strut bush and lower arm bush.
Also the car pulled vigorously to right hand side which was due to faulty lower arm.
The steering also vibrated at speeds above 50 Km and there were noises from the steering unit also on bad roads.
The pickup of the car decreased and I found it difficult even to overtake any other car, this was due to faulty clutch plate.
I took it to our trusted MASS and they opened the whole suspension and steering unit and took out the engine and dismantled the gear box and took out the clutch plate and pressure plate. They were worn out and the clutch plate had clear signs of slipping.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: My Maruti 800 clutch and suspension overhaul.

Later on opening the suspension it was found that both axles were worn out, the strut bushes were worn out, Lower arms were worn out, stabilizer bar bush was worn out, Steering rack was worn out.
All the wheel bearings were greased and the brakes were cleaned and bleeded well.
All the worn out parts were changed, only the steering rack was repaired (the boots were changed and it was greased well).
All the parts changed were MGP make and only the axles were not MGP, they were of Delphi make.

Coming to the engine, the clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and fly wheel was changed. The fly wheel was little bit worn out so we decided to change it completely. Then the engine and gear box were assembled and tuned well.
It took them 2 days to complete all the work and I went there to take a test drive of the car and was satisfied with the pickup of the car.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Re: My Maruti 800 clutch and suspension overhaul.

END RESULT-
There was no abnormal sound from the suspension.
The car was pulling up well.
The brakes were working well.
There was no pulling from any side of the car and it handled straight and well.
Now I am totally satisfied with the performance of my car.

The total cost incurred was Rs 9035.

Last edited:
Great detailed writeup.It will surely help a lot of people.

Just remember to keep any eye on the rubber boots that cover the CV joints.If they tear get them replaced ASAP you can avoid a lot of problems by doing this timely fix.

Get the alignment done on your car because changing the axles is as good as changing the struts and getting the wheel alignment would be good and make the handling and track of the car even better and straighter.

The next time you change the clutch, change the flywheel as well.If you can find one try to get an ASCO or Daikin(not Exedy) clutch and pressure plates that are made in Japan.They are the best clutches you can find for the 800.

Thread Starter #9
@jarpickle- Yes the flywheel too was changed this time. you can see the Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch plateand relese bearing in the last pic.
Thanks for the info about ASCO. will try it next time.

Very nice write-up with all the pictures. Sometimes my car also makes the kat-kat sound while turning. The lower arm and axle needs replacement. Can you please post the break-up(details) of the cost.
Also check that the nut/bolts are tightened properly. Specially the engine mounting bolts. As the engine mounting bolt towards the firewall is a bit tricky to tighten. This happened to my neighbor's M800 when he got clutch plate changed. The mechanic(at the MASS) did not tighten the engine mount bolts properly.

Top Bottom