Beware! Monitor Footwells if They Are Getting Wet

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I am narrating my experience after recent Bangalore - Goa trip (post 1 yr service).

When we reached Goa in the evening, I noticed that the front passenger side foot mat was soaked in water. On further checking, the floor underneath was wet too. There was one water bottle lying there but was closed tight and upright.

Since it was late already, I just removed the mat and decided to fix an appointment with service station the next day. Before going to bed, I did some research and made my mind that the most likely reason could be water getting inside from AC instead of usual going out - most likely due to ill fitted or broken AC duct pipe.

Next day called FIAT CC number and was told that there is only one service station in Goa for FIAT and that too in Margao (53 KM from where I was staying!). The service center name is - Auto Industries, Fatorda, Goa.

Went there and provided the details. They came back in 10 mins confirming that the AC duct pipe was really broken and the same would cost me Rs 299 for replacement. When I asked about warranty, the SA mentioned he already checked with FIAT and there is no warranty on plastic parts.

I insisted on talking to FIAT myself and also mentioned that unless they don't prove this issue was due not to manufacturing defect I am not going to pay. I also mentioned him about our forum (TAI) and that there are already many Punto, Linea owners (particularly 2012) facing this issue.

He said he will get back again and finally, 1hr later came back saying all was fixed, AC pipe was replaced under warranty and they also added a new clip to hold the pipe better, cleaned/washed the car interior as well as exterior.

Total charges Rs 0.

Having taken a look at the pipe and how it was fitted (?), I suggest Punto (and may be Linea) owners should monitor the foot-wells / mats periodically and report to service station if they see wet mats or no water underneath the car after AC usage (the water is supposed to be routed below the car on road when AC running).

Have the AC pipe and fitting inspected during service and if possible, ask them to use a clip or some means to tie the pipe correctly.

One important note - insist FIAT not to charge (for part as well as labor) for this as they should fix this under warranty for faulty assembly. I appreciate that they did that for me without any fuss or wasting time. Thanks to TAI too.

So far no issues in 200 KM run with AC on, will still monitor.

Hemant

Last edited:
AC Problems and Solutions

Hi

My car was fine until i swithc off my AC after 1.5 hours of journy(92Kms). After 5 minutes i noticed that the mat of co-driver was soo wet that i thought i did'nt fix the cap of water bottle properly which result this. Loking beneath the dash board i noticed a box (looks like it is a cooling gas container) which is as cool as refrigerator and water drops are falling from it. The worst part is that it is still cool since i switch off the engine 2 hours before.

1_04062013162.jpg

1_04062013161.jpg

Please Help

Re: Fiat Punto: Beware! Monitor The Footwells if They Are Getting Wet

Hemanth, I hope the wet carpet has been dried properly to prevent rusting issues.

Btw, This is one of the prime reason am little hesitant to go for Vinyl floor carpetting. Its very difficult to identify a wet floor in this case.

^^ in that case i feel vinyl flooring is best, because the vinyl carpet will not allow the water to go under and it keeps the area below carpet dry.If it was vinyl flooring the water will floe to the center area and you will notice it faster.

Thread Starter #5

Hemanth, I hope the wet carpet has been dried properly to prevent rusting issues.
It is almost dried but we still are doing hair dryer treatment as rainy season has started and cannot sun dry further.

Water seeping in Maruti alto in the driver footwell area

Guys, My alto is a 2007 LXi model. Was bought second hand last year september. From that time, whenever i drive in rainy weather especially when i go through these large water puddles water starts to kind of drip from the driver footwell area. It seems to be drip from on top of the clutch area to be precise. What could be the problem ?[confused]

Fluidic Verna Back seat foot rest area water problem.

Hi there,

The title may look weird but this is happening for me. My car is just a year old now. When I got the car, shortly I did a 500km trip and when I’m back I found there was lots of ware at the rear seat left side footrest carpet area, and that was not just damped water, it was at least 500ml water over there. That time I used the vacuumed cleaner in inlet mode and took all the water out as I couldn’t remove the carpet. With this I lost the good vacuumed cleaner, it became so hot, the plastic body melt somewhere, it was my bad anyway.

I thought then maybe a water bottle laid down there with the cap little open and thus this happened.

But this weekend I did the same trip and happened exactly same. As I was aware, I did not keep any water bottle at the back seat and there was nothing throughout the trip. And when I’m back I found same, the rear left foot rest area was so wet that it was making water noise. This time I placed a dry rag and it dumped little water and I smelled, it was looking like plain water like but I felt it has some chemical smell, however I’m not sure. The smell could be due to the carpet material.

So anyone could advice what could cause this? anything related to AC? As it’s the rear side I guess nothing water type pipe should be there. Only the fuel pipe goes rear to front. But as I smelled there was no smell like fuel at all. Also I make sure all the other areas were dry. Rear Right footrest, both front. Also in both trip there was no rain, not a single drop.

Last time I also tried to find drain hole under the car so the water could pass away, but I opened all in that area but nothing helped, even I insert my finger for water trace, but all dry.

What do you guys advice? Even if its water and if its keeps there for long days could it lead to rusting? Any idea how to dry it? last time I keeps all the window open and even after a week no changes, then I tried another ways.

Please advice, thanks in advance.

I think it will be best to visit Service Center with wet floor/carpet and demand full checkup and ask for full repair hence claim warranty. If you already dried the water wait for another trip when the same thing happen, then directly land the car to SVC. It will not going to stop automatically unless professional check up perform in your car.

Your Car facing continues fault one after another.

Last edited:
I think it will be best to visit Service Center with wet floor/carpet and demand full checkup and ask for full repair hence claim warranty. If you already dried the water wait for another trip when the same thing happen, then directly land the car to SVC. It will not going to stop automatically unless professional check up perform in your car.

Your Car facing continues fault one after another.
Yea I'm now frustrated. I think its AC drain leakage after some research as the car never ran in rain neither washed. I will check the car by myself tonight. I afraid to take it to the SC as the guys are dumb. They 1st let immature mechanics to check, if not done or messed up then experts came in. Last time for a simple thing they blown the immobilizer and the whole dash required to open. I do not trust them. Now i'm thinking the inside mold buildup and the radio gone due to this moisture.

Last edited:
Ok myth busted, yesterday google it about the AC system water out and about the drain pipe. Went to the car and within a minute found the drain pipe. Just unfold the front passenger carpet at the front edge. To my surprise it was disassembled from the Dash AC system. What the hell, the pipe edge has a grove or locking mechanism which cannot be open easily like foot press, it will require good force to pull it out. So my guess it was not attached since the car assembled in factory. Go to hell Hyundai. Dont know what more they missed.

When I thought it’s a fault in the car, I was puzzled why at the back? As every liquid is in the front except the fuel tank. But when I fold the carpet, there was a inner carper of rubber like material under the carpet (probably sound dumping) and the slope was low towards the rear, so the water was flowing towards back and all stored there.

There was so much water the best way would be to remove the full carpet and let it dry under the sun also clean and check the car body under it. But it will require a lots of effort to dissemble all, seats, seat belt and many more. So now the purpose is to make it dry.

However I’ve fitted the drain pipe properly, still I will test with the full AC on, if the water dropping under the car. Attached image, the black pipe with white line.

Attachments

Today I left the car outside of the garage but thought it would take long time to dry the water. Then like previously i did, took the vacuum cleaner and start with that. OMG! after 10minutes the Vacuum cleaner was filled like bucket, and i pouring the water from the vacuum cleaner like half filled bucket. This happening since a year, dont know what happened inside.

Top Bottom