Maruti 800 Timing Belt Replacement Schedule

Re: Maruti 800i, Timing belt

How often do you change the timing belt of Maruti 800?

The maintenance schedule says 100,000 km but technicians say 50,000 km? [confused]
Usually timing belt in 800 lasts upto 70-80 k kms.

Mine was cut at 80k mark. Better change it when the car is nearing to 70 k mark.

Not necessarily.Some cars with lesser Kms but higher age require the belt to be changed sooner.

What seems to be the problem.Does the belt make slipping sounds(whining when starting)?If so then change it immediately.

MGp Timing belt will cost approx. 650/- however local ones will cost you only around 200/- max. I have no idea why some car's timing belt lasts for a long time, where as others last shorter.

I read Ilango's sentence sometime back:
M800 : 80K kms
Indica : 40K kms (only)

Here is a snapshot of how the timing belt looks when it is fit in its place with the tensioner.

How often do you change the timing belt of Maruti 800?

The maintenance schedule says 100,000 km but technicians say 50,000 km? [confused]
@mahilaljayanath:What seems to the actual problem?

@ss80:It depends on the functions(what it drives) of the belt as well as the weight on it.

I personally feel, if you can get your hands on a fresh (recently manufactured) MGP timing belt then use only that.Fresh stock, because it is rubber and rubber tends to dry out pretty soon.Although MGP does a very nice job of packing it.I have always found MGP rubber parts to have a slick coating on them, perhaps to prevent them from drying.

On two occasions when mine gave way I couldn't find an MGP.I used a Gates one and it wasn't good, developed cracks although there wasn't any whining.I think 5000kms and a year to a year and a half is not good for a belt.

Now I am using a continental one.So far it is working good, have done 3000kms on it.Hope it lasts longer than the Gates one.

My experience with continental alternator belts was the same as with the Gates timing belt.The same drying and cracking issue.The Gates timing belt and the Continental alternator belt were fitted at the same time and lasted the same amount of time.

Final thoughts and words of wisdom: If you are planning on changing the timing belt any time soon, check the availability of the MGP timing belt.Do not wait till the car goes to find one.I have found this the hard way.

Thread Starter #8
I hear noises when I start the engine in the morning (higher RPM) but disappear after few minutes. No idea where these noises come from?

After some time, when the engine is hot, there is a sound from distributor. I guess it is normal.

I can buy a genuine timing belt from authorized dealer in Sri Lanka. Hope to replace soon.

Any idea what these noises?

Thread Starter #10
All belts other than the timing belt are new.

One sound is like a whistling sound. Others are difficult to identify.

Is the sound " tic, tic, tic" from the distributor is normal?

All belts other than the timing belt are new.

One sound is like a whistling sound. Others are difficult to identify.
The whistling sound may be a vacuum leak or a slight leak in the silencer.

Is the sound " tic, tic, tic" from the distributor is normal?
If the tic-tic sound is not too loud and the speed of tic-tic increases with RPM then it may be the sound from tappets. Get them adjusted.

Simple test, take a bar of soap and rub it on the vbelts.If the sound stops,it was the belts.If not then move to the problem.

Thread Starter #14
Simple test, take a bar of soap and rub it on the vbelts.If the sound stops,it was the belts.If not then move to the problem.
Sounds not from belts. I'm sure.

When I start the engine (COLD engine) it sounds like "ho, ho" (sound like fans ) including a whistling sound.

When the engine is hot, (HOT engine) only a ticky, ticky sound from distributor. if I raise the RPM, a whistling sound.

The distributor has a nut that can be tightened. Apart from that you can check the cap and the rotor also check the points.

Top Bottom