The whole purpose of this DIY is to understand how a car engine works, although you tube is a easier way (easy, less risky, no money, no grease) to understand, still I prefer getting my hands dirty
I know a person close to my home, who's car met with accident & the shell (Chassy) got damaged beyond repair. He has advertised on Olx etc long back when I had my car, I met him at that time but did not buy anything from him as I was already busy with my car. Now its been a few months since I did anything that is related to cars, I felt I have started to rust! a very uncomfortable feeling.
So I set out to make a Action Plan sheet (attached below) where in I put down all my desires & goals (some very huge though). I called up this friend of mine & asked him if he still has the engine & GB? He said yes, I told him what I am planning for & that I will give it in writing that "I will not install/ use/resell his engine on anyother car"
he was absolutely fine & we agreed upon a amount.
In fifteen mins, borrowed money from a friend & landed at his house with an luggage auto. Paid 5000 & picked it up from there. Initial Plan:
1. Strip the engine to the core & clean it as much as possible
2. Identify parts & tools to use
3. Replace existing pistons, using Oversize pistons
4. Expand the bore by a small margin (as required) to accomodate the larger pistons
5. Chrome finish for the Pulleys, timing beltcover, head cover, radiator hose pipe, all mounts
6. Grooves for the engine head & new valves
7. buy a new/used wiring kit & start the engine without fixing it on any car Missing parts:
1. Starter motor
3. Distributor & its cap (planning to go for MPI kit if budget permits)
4. All belts need replacement
5. Carb gasket & jet kit - already bought
6. Oil sump needs to be replaced
7. Also thinking of reducing the weight of Flywheel to get better performance at top end. Future plan:
1. If things go well & I manage to earn more Vitamin "M" then I would any day prefer to build a replica of "Ariel Atom" with a unique twist. For this I need lot of cash, Catia & Pro-E usage, plenty of hours on computer to develop a good exoskeleton type chassy with below features
All wheel independant suspension
Rear wheel drive
mid/rear mounted M800 engine with omni gearbox
Auto (bajaj auto rickshaw) parts too required (for rear) - the crown part with two drive shafts
with good top speed & roll cage.
If possible I might skip M800 engine & instead use 1300cc Esteem engine too. In such a case this rebuild DIY will be helpful to me. If all the above things dont materialise
I will simply sell the gearbox & retain the Overhauled engine as an Asset & move on. Here are the pictures of progress on Day 2
Carb mounting spot
Radiator hose fitting removed
All mounts to be removed
Finally gearbox removed - once we unbolt the 14size boots holding engine, Gearbox & mount. We need to pull/push that Clutch cable lever, only then the gearbox comes apart.
Interior of Gearbox
The engine seperated
Pressure plate bolts to be removed (12size)
The trio - Pressure plate, Clutch Plate & Flywheel
Pressure plate closeup
Pressure plate closeup
Clutch condition - not sure if it is reusable
The heavy flywheel
Managed to remove 2 bolts before realising that some special tool is required to do that.
Even the pulley is a bit tricky to remove as it keeps spinning when I try to do so. May be the flywheel tool should help here too.
Dark side of the engine
Exhaust manifold is stuck & is quite a task to remove it.
Each & every bolt stored carefully
The dented oil sump too needs repplacement
Engine packed for Sunday.