Maruti 800 Engine Rebuild :-)

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have bought a used m800 carb engine from a friend. I am starting a diy,
Complete engine rebuild :-D

Here are a few pictures. More details soon

Hi anand, all the best on the engine re-build. I hope this is the only thing on a legend maruti 800 untouched wrt DIY by you. Waiting for the updates buddy.

All the best again!!

Girish

Thread Starter #10
Jarpickle:
I have bought only engine and gear box. (including carb, inlet and exhaust manifold).
I could not get the dynamo, ac compressor, wiring harness.

sorry, I could not upload pics as I was trying to that from a mobile. I will post pics by evening for sure.

Yesterday I managed to pull out gearbox, clutch, pressure plate and carb from engine.

The heavy metal wheel (I think its called fly wheel) is the issue as I can't losen the bolts. I need some special tool I guess.

To remove the fly wheel you need a fly wheel holder, so that the fly wheel does not rotate when you try to loosen the bolts . For loosening the bolts normal spanner is used. (forgot the number) [frustration]. Use some oil to loosen the bolts, as it may be the first time the fly wheel is removed. Refer page 368 of the engine manual for the special tool.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Shantanu, I dint know that tools name. Here are the pictures.

The first pic clicked as soon as the baby reached home
1-1st pici.jpg

2-Clear pic 1.jpg

from right side
3-E right pic.jpg

from left side
4-Engine left pic.jpg

Carb closeup
5-Engine Top pick.jpg

More pictures in few more mins.

Dude, do not rest the engine like that on the oil sump.Instead get a worn out tire and put the engine on that.Where is the distributor?

After you open it up let me know where that damn PCV valve is located on this engine.

You will need a radiator to run any extended tests.

Thread Starter #15
The whole purpose of this DIY is to understand how a car engine works, although you tube is a easier way (easy, less risky, no money, no grease) to understand, still I prefer getting my hands dirty [;)]

I know a person close to my home, who's car met with accident & the shell (Chassy) got damaged beyond repair. He has advertised on Olx etc long back when I had my car, I met him at that time but did not buy anything from him as I was already busy with my car. Now its been a few months since I did anything that is related to cars, I felt I have started to rust! a very uncomfortable feeling.

So I set out to make a Action Plan sheet (attached below) where in I put down all my desires & goals (some very huge though). I called up this friend of mine & asked him if he still has the engine & GB? He said yes, I told him what I am planning for & that I will give it in writing that "I will not install/ use/resell his engine on anyother car" he was absolutely fine & we agreed upon a amount.

In fifteen mins, borrowed money from a friend & landed at his house with an luggage auto. Paid 5000 & picked it up from there.

Initial Plan:
1. Strip the engine to the core & clean it as much as possible
2. Identify parts & tools to use
3. Replace existing pistons, using Oversize pistons
4. Expand the bore by a small margin (as required) to accomodate the larger pistons
5. Chrome finish for the Pulleys, timing beltcover, head cover, radiator hose pipe, all mounts [glasses]
6. Grooves for the engine head & new valves
7. buy a new/used wiring kit & start the engine without fixing it on any car

Missing parts:
1. Starter motor
2. Dynamo
3. Distributor & its cap (planning to go for MPI kit if budget permits)
4. All belts need replacement
5. Carb gasket & jet kit - already bought
6. Oil sump needs to be replaced
7. Also thinking of reducing the weight of Flywheel to get better performance at top end.

Future plan:
1. If things go well & I manage to earn more Vitamin "M" then I would any day prefer to build a replica of "Ariel Atom" with a unique twist. For this I need lot of cash, Catia & Pro-E usage, plenty of hours on computer to develop a good exoskeleton type chassy with below features

All wheel independant suspension
Rear wheel drive
mid/rear mounted M800 engine with omni gearbox
Auto (bajaj auto rickshaw) parts too required (for rear) - the crown part with two drive shafts
single/two seater
with good top speed & roll cage.

If possible I might skip M800 engine & instead use 1300cc Esteem engine too. In such a case this rebuild DIY will be helpful to me.

If all the above things dont materialise I will simply sell the gearbox & retain the Overhauled engine as an Asset & move on. Here are the pictures of progress on Day 2

Carb removed
1 Carb removed.jpg

Carb mounting spot
2 Carb mounting spot (1).jpg

3 Carb mounting spot (2).jpg

Radiator hose fitting removed
4 radiator hose fitting.jpg

All mounts to be removed
5 all mounts.jpg

Finally gearbox removed - once we unbolt the 14size boots holding engine, Gearbox & mount. We need to pull/push that Clutch cable lever, only then the gearbox comes apart.
6 gb removed.jpg

Interior of Gearbox
7 gb seperated interior shot.jpg

The engine seperated
8 Engine seperate from gb.jpg

Pressure plate bolts to be removed (12size)
9 pressure plate removal.jpg

The trio - Pressure plate, Clutch Plate & Flywheel
10 pp cp fw.jpg

Pressure plate closeup
11pressure plate (2).jpg

Pressure plate closeup
12 pressure plate (1).jpg

Clutch condition - not sure if it is reusable
13 clutch condition.jpg

The heavy flywheel
14 fly wheel.jpg

Managed to remove 2 bolts before realising that some special tool is required to do that.
15 fly wheel bolt removed.jpg

Even the pulley is a bit tricky to remove as it keeps spinning when I try to do so. May be the flywheel tool should help here too.
16 dynamo belt pulley same issue.jpg

Dark side of the engine
17 engine dark side.jpg

Exhaust manifold is stuck & is quite a task to remove it.
18 exhaust mainfold stuck.jpg

Each & every bolt stored carefully
19 bolts safely stored.jpg

The dented oil sump too needs repplacement
22 sump damaged.jpg

Engine packed for Sunday.
20 Packed for weekend.jpg

Top Bottom