Muffler / Silencer Issue in Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

There is a strange noise coming from the silencer of my 2010 alto upon pressing the accelerator. This noise only appears when I press the accelerator and is there even at standstill. The local garage I usually go to suggests some welding job that will remove the "carbon deposits" from the silencer for about 300 bucks. I am not too keen on this welding job.
What is the likely cause of this noise?
How long will a welded silencer last?

I plan to go to a MASS soon.

Will they suggest replacing the silencer?

what is the approximate cost of a silencer?

Welded silencer will make the sound harsher. you will not get the original sound of the car.
Technical there won't be any issue or car performance will not be effected. Only thing will happen is car sound will be change.

Thread Starter #3
How long will a welded silencer last? Is it likely to breakdown soon. I usually go on long highway trips. The mechanic also suggested a local made silencer for about 1000-1200 bucks. He tells me local made silencers can last for years and are significantly cheaper. Is he right?

If you want a cheap fix, get it welded.If you want a lasting fix, get an mgp replacement.Paint the mgp replacement with red oxide and it will last a lot longer.Don't go for local stuff they will rust out within a year of usage.

Thread Starter #5
Went to MASS, was quoted 3200 for the repairs. I am seriously considering installing an FFE ever since my muffler went kaput. how much would that set me back.

Go to an MGP store and buy the replacement muffler, paint it with red oxide and get it installed at a local garage.

Look for MGP stores in your location on this website: http://mgp.co.in/
Click on the locate MGP exclusive outlets on the right hand side of that page.It will take you to a state and area selection.Brings up three exclusive stores in Shimla alone.

Do you know any tuners located in Shimla that make FFE's?

If you want one I can arrange one here(either in stainless steel/Mild Steel), am not sure of the shipping costs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom