Brake Powder? XUV 500 Brake Issues

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Dear all,
My XUV 500 THUNDERBOLT just returned from a 900KM Trip and I was horrified to find this black soot all over the alloys. Looks like the powder is coming from brake system. Interestingly, it covers only front wheels so the chances of it being dust etc is ruled out. Its definately not just. Smells wierd too.

I am going to take the issue to ASS but on 5000Km Servicing so there's some time. The Driving was comfortable and no issues were reported as such.

Please help me out!

Attachments

Dear all,
My XUV 500 THUNDERBOLT just returned from a 900KM Trip and I was horrified to find this black soot all over the alloys. Looks like the powder is coming from brake system. Interestingly, it covers only front wheels so the chances of it being dust etc is ruled out. Its definately not just. Smells wierd too.

I am going to take the issue to ASS but on 5000Km Servicing so there's some time. The Driving was comfortable and no issues were reported as such.

Please help me out!
Though I am not an expert, I think the formation of brake dust in normal, especially in a new vehicle/brake pads. I do see it very often on the front alloys of my Scorpio too. The dust generation is due to brake wear/brake pad wear AFAIK. The amount of Dust generated depends on the materials used in the specific brake pad used.

Do you have the famous XUV squeaking noise while braking, the problem which seems to have resolved with the most recent Galfer brake pads. The squeaking noise could have been due to a harder brake pad abd in order to negate the noise if the manufacturer makes the pads softer generation of excessive brake dust is possible.

Please visit the A.S.S and get your brake assembly checked for any abnormalities especially any excessive wear of the brake pad or any damage to the rotor.

I still feel there is nothing alarming to worry about, as long as there is no issue with braking or wheel alignments.

IR should be the right person to comment here. Other experts please enlighten as well.

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
thanks Manoj :-)
that was some relief. the powder is sticky somewhat so the breeze and centrifugal force during 900km trip did not wash it off. it's thick, like those old coal chimney soot you remember?

does your Scorpio have that much powder? how can I check what brand of brake pads I have got and are they safe or not?

I don't have grinding noise but my driving is very relaxed like 70-80kmh. maybe I'll try something on open ground and report back.

please keep your replies coming. thanks.

Nothing to worry on the dust it is normal on all cars,it is the dust from the brake pads which sheds while braking.
It is clearly visible to you because the wheels are alloys,the same thing happens in the rear too but it is not visible as the rear brakes are drum brakes and the dust gets collected in the drums and cleaned at the periodic services.

thanks Manoj :-)
that was some relief. the powder is sticky somewhat so the breeze and centrifugal force during 900km trip did not wash it off. it's thick, like those old coal chimney soot you remember?
does your Scorpio have that much powder? how can I check what brand of brake pads I have got and are they safe or not?
I don't have grinding noise but my driving is very relaxed like 70-80kmh. maybe I'll try something on open ground and report back.
please keep your replies coming. thanks.
I do get very dark dust stuck around the central area of my front alloys. It doesn’t get cleared even with some jet of water as I think those components are insoluble in water, though you can clean it off with a piece of cloth at ease[please don't handle it directly as those particles could be toxic]

You don’t have to worry about the safety of the brake pads as they are OEM, just based on the dust. Since you haven’t had any grinding noise so far probably your XUV comes with the newer set of improved brake pads. The grinding noise is usually heard if braked at lower speeds.Please don’t push your vehicle or experiment on it in search of any noise. [:)]

Just enjoy your drive and after every drive just have a blast of water to get rid of those ugly looking dust on your alloys.
Please do drive safe.

Last edited:
Hi, dont worry. Even I had the same problem in my Tata Safari and Pajero. There is nothing to worry about it. Sometime it happens when we go for long drive.

Hey buddy don't worry about that dust stuff. It usually happens after long drives.

It happens in my XUV and also used to happen in my Civic and Sonata.

Just use some soap and wash it and your alloys will be shinning again.

Hi,

As all have clearly mentioned its nothing to feel worried about, Its common when you have a new car or get brake pads replaced. So relax on that part & enjoy your drive !!

Drive Sane !!
Santosh

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member
Nothing to worry on the dust it is normal on all cars,it is the dust from the brake pads which sheds while braking.
It is clearly visible to you because the wheels are alloys,the same thing happens in the rear too but it is not visible as the rear brakes are drum brakes and the dust gets collected in the drums and cleaned at the periodic services.
XUV 500 has Disc Brakes on ALL 4 wheels! That was what had me alarmed. because despite the Disc Brakes, rear wheels did't have that powder. I could be that there is difference in brake systems for Rear and Front

I do get very dark dust stuck around the central area of my front alloys. It doesn’t get cleared even with some jet of water as I think those components are insoluble in water, though you can clean it off with a piece of cloth at ease[please don't handle it directly as those particles could be toxic]

You don’t have to worry about the safety of the brake pads as they are OEM, just based on the dust. Since you haven’t had any grinding noise so far probably your XUV comes with the newer set of improved brake pads. The grinding noise is usually heard if braked at lower speeds.Please don’t push your vehicle or experiment on it in search of any noise. [:)]

Please do drive safe.
"Please don’t push your vehicle or experiment on it in search of any noise. [:)]

Please do drive safe."

That sounded like an elder brother! Brought a smile on my face. Don't worry and Thanks for the concern.

Hi, dont worry. Even I had the same problem in my Tata Safari and Pajero. There is nothing to worry about it. Sometime it happens when we go for long drive.
Never Noticed in My Safari or Fortuner. Fortuner has worst brakes than 5OO anyways.
Hey buddy don't worry about that dust stuff. It usually happens after long drives.

It happens in my XUV and also used to happen in my Civic and Sonata.

Just use some soap and wash it and your alloys will be shinning again.
Thanks
Hi,

As all have clearly mentioned its nothing to feel worried about, Its common when you have a new car or get brake pads replaced. So relax on that part & enjoy your drive !!

Drive Sane !!
Santosh

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will keep you posted after having a word with the Mahindra ASS. Thanks again.

Thread Starter #11

bhvm

Honoured Member
Did you get a chance to go to the dealer for your brake thing?

Also ask them if your XUV has the latest set of pads.
not yet, the dealership is 100km away. maybe I'll get a chance with 5000km servicing only. let's see if I get lucky earlier than that. my dual woofer setup is also waiting for the same.

how could one recognize the latest type brake pads man?

not yet, the dealership is 100km away. maybe I'll get a chance with 5000km servicing only. let's see if I get lucky earlier than that. my dual woofer setup is also waiting for the same.

how could one recognize the latest type brake pads man?
aah that's pretty far buddy. I would say that if you don't have any problems while using the brakes than get it checked on first service otherwise doing 200 km trip just for a checkup is not advisable.

And i think you have to see the pads in person to check which ones are new. I have posted pics of both the old and new one on my thread. so you can have a look at them when going to the ASS next time[:)]. And tell the guy who will check your pads to open and show the pads to you.

Top Bottom