Brake Automatically Holds Up After Heating Up

Thread Starter #1
After driving for about 15 kms in traffic, the right front wheel brake starts to hold on without applying brakes, to the point that I cannot move the vehicle. When I pour water on the right wheel, it vapourizes instantly suggesting overheating of the brake. This doesnot happen in the left wheel. What could be the reason?

Get your brakes checked at a garage.It is either the caliper that needs to be refurbished or if you have ABS that would need to be checked too.Change the brake oil completely and see if that helps.

In the future please mention the type of car you are using (the model and year)and in case of brakes please mention if your car is equipped with ABS or not.

It is due to the caliper,it fails to go the former position after applying the brake, the brake will get struck and due to this the wheel disk will get heated up and the tyre may blow on a long drive and so lubricate or replace the caliper as advised by the mechanic.

Thread Starter #4
Get your brakes checked at a garage.It is either the caliper that needs to be refurbished or if you have ABS that would need to be checked too.Change the brake oil completely and see if that helps.

In the future please mention the type of car you are using (the model and year)and in case of brakes please mention if your car is equipped with ABS or not.
There's no ABS, its an old 1997 Maruti 800. But surely I'll have the calipers checked.

There's no ABS, its an old 1997 Maruti 800. But surely I'll have the calipers checked.
Old braking system are prone to overheating,and might cause an issue.Check the calipers and cylinders,need overhaul every 1 year is advisable.Also check the drum it expands due to overheating,usage and ball bearing,might cause problem.i had faced the same issue,and was solved by replacing drum.

Thread Starter #6
Old braking system are prone to overheating,and might cause an issue.Check the calipers and cylinders,need overhaul every 1 year is advisable.Also check the drum it expands due to overheating,usage and ball bearing,might cause problem.i had faced the same issue,and was solved by replacing drum.
That's great insight, thanks, now I would know what to expect when I have the problem checked by the mechanic.

Top Bottom