Tata Manza Quadrajet - Noise from Rear Tyres After 30Kms Service.

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new to Auto-Motive-India, Joined Today from Chennai and this is my first Thread.

My Vehicle Summary:
I have Tata Manza Quadrajet ABS Jet Silver bought on Late 2011. Now I have crossed 30,000 Kms.
Mileage in City with 50% AC 18.5 kmpl and on Highway I usually got an awesome mileage of 28.5 with 50% AC with my trips started on very early morning before sunrise with 3 persons including me :-) and average of 25+ Kmpl on highways for other trips.
I usually maintain a constant RPM overhighways and will not cross 80Kmph. Usually maintain 75Kmph(around 1.5 to 1.6 RPM).
All services were made on Time. First one on 5000kms, second one on 10K and Third one 20K and now 30K.

List of Problem Faced So Far:
1. Left Pull was there during my Delivery, which was rectified on same day before delivery.
2. AC Control Unit was not working hence outside Air comes into the Cabin, Replaced on Warranty and now working fine.
3. Many small and niggling Issues like AC water leaking in RHS seat still this issue persists.

My Current Issue:
I have successfully completed the 30,000Kms service with Engine Oil changed and Air Filter Changed over warranty.
But, After this 30K service I'm getting a Noise from the Rear side somewhere from Tyre area when I accelerate and even when am on Neutral....(Faster Hmm..Hmm..Hmmm..Kind of..from the rear side...kind of Tyre scratching Sound). I took my vehicle to back to Service center next day after 30K service.

I was told that, as they have changed(Crossed) the front tires to Back and rear ones to Front, this sound is coming. Also they said, my front Tyres were wear off heavily inside which is creating this noise. I usually check for Left Pull on every highway trips, I have not realized that. But still somehow the Tyres got wear heavily inside..Dont know how.

I need help on this. Pls. pass on your solutions and feedback to resolve this rear Noise. Also advise me on Wheel Alignment and balancing...heard from friends that I have to do this evry 3000Kms which will make the tyres healthy and constant wear.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm a new to Auto-Motive-India, Joined Today from Chennai and this is my first Thread.

My Vehicle Summary:
I have Tata Manza Quadrajet ABS Jet Silver bought on Late 2011. Now I have crossed 30,000 Kms.
Mileage in City with 50% AC 18.5 kmpl and on Highway I usually got an awesome mileage of 28.5 with 50% AC with my trips started on very early morning before sunrise with 3 persons including me :-) and average of 25+ Kmpl on highways for other trips.
I usually maintain a constant RPM overhighways and will not cross 80Kmph. Usually maintain 75Kmph(around 1.5 to 1.6 RPM).
All services were made on Time. First one on 5000kms, second one on 10K and Third one 20K and now 30K.

List of Problem Faced So Far:
1. Left Pull was there during my Delivery, which was rectified on same day before delivery.
2. AC Control Unit was not working hence outside Air comes into the Cabin, Replaced on Warranty and now working fine.
3. Many small and niggling Issues like AC water leaking in RHS seat still this issue persists.

My Current Issue:
I have successfully completed the 30,000Kms service with Engine Oil changed and Air Filter Changed over warranty.
But, After this 30K service I'm getting a Noise from the Rear side somewhere from Tyre area when I accelerate and even when am on Neutral....(Faster Hmm..Hmm..Hmmm..Kind of..from the rear side...kind of Tyre scratching Sound). I took my vehicle to back to Service center next day after 30K service.

I was told that, as they have changed(Crossed) the front tires to Back and rear ones to Front, this sound is coming. Also they said, my front Tyres were wear off heavily inside which is creating this noise. I usually check for Left Pull on every highway trips, I have not realized that. But still somehow the Tyres got wear heavily inside..Dont know how.

I need help on this. Pls. pass on your solutions and feedback to resolve this rear Noise. Also advise me on Wheel Alignment and balancing...heard from friends that I have to do this evry 3000Kms which will make the tyres healthy and constant wear.

Thanks.
Pls mention what brand tyre ur using.Tata usually gives oem goodyear tyres prone for noise

Thread Starter #3
Thanks kenlitting for your Reply.

Mine is Apollo Also I have not heard any such a sound till my 30K (4th) service.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the wheel bearings or the rear drum brakes.During the service they must have washed the car.The drum brakes make noise when they are washed.It is normal.

The sound will disappear soon.If it does not get the rear drums and the wheel bearings checked.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks jarpickle.

After this 30K service I have already drove the car for more than 1500Kms which includes one Highway Trip too. Still the sound persists..
Seems like something scratching either from Rear Tyre or around that rear Tyre area.
During this service they did wheel alignment + balancing + crossed the tyres from front to rear and vice-versa.

It should not remain for that long.Was there any puncture that was done on the rear tires.If the tires are tubeless and the puncture was recently done then the protruding rubber sealer could cause the noise.

If that was the case then it will be gone soon.Are the tires excessively worn out?If they are tubless try changing from air to nitrogen and fill it according to the tire pressure specified by the car maker.

If all of that does not you may need to consider changing the wheel bearings.

Hi vrsmip,

Welcome to TAI and Manza club.

Please read through the following threads for details on Manza.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nza-club-class-exclusive-launch-coverage.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/member-s-lounge/7239-photos-tata-manza-its-owners.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ws/470-tata-manza-road-test-drive-review.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...0318-tata-manza-known-problems-solutions.html

Regarding the noise near rear tyre- did they by chance remove and refit the exhaust pipe ? If yes,check if that was fitted properly. Also hope you have checked that the noise is not from wheelcaps/mudflaps.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #8
It should not remain for that long.Was there any puncture that was done on the rear tires.If the tires are tubeless and the puncture was recently done then the protruding rubber sealer could cause the noise.

If that was the case then it will be gone soon.Are the tires excessively worn out?If they are tubless try changing from air to nitrogen and fill it according to the tire pressure specified by the car maker.

If all of that does not you may need to consider changing the wheel bearings.

Yes, they are Tubeless Tires. No Punchers in those wheels.
I will check for Wheel Bearing, also try changing to Nitrogen.
Thank you.

Thread Starter #9
I have gone for another Highway trip this weekend too..
Odo ticked to 31K..Still that Sound Persists...But consistent good mileage of 28.3Kmpl for the onward Journey...Full Tank to Full Tank Method...
The Service advisor is telling me that the sound is due to weariness of the front tires which currently placed in the back(rear)....

Also, Planning to go for Alloy Wheels probably in 40K?

Need advise on the below:
(1) I Hope I just need to change the 2 Rear tries which are wear the most as compared to the front one.
(2) I heard that Adding Alloy wheels will add mileage? How significant is that?
(3) Which Type/Tyre recommendation for Tata Manza.
(4) Heard that I need to check for Wheel Alignment + Balancing Every 3000Kms..Also It is a must if that 3000Kms has a Highway trip

Thanks.

Thanks.

The Service advisor is telling me that the sound is due to weariness of the front tires which currently placed in the back(rear)....

Need advise on the below:
(1) I Hope I just need to change the 2 Rear tries which are wear the most as compared to the front one.
To check wheather the reason cited by SA is true , go to a tyre shop or TASS and swap the front and rear tyres , and take trial of 5 km , if sound disappears or appears on front .Then swap them again as they were before and think of replacing with new ones only at the end of their usable life.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

... Still the sound persists..
Seems like something scratching either from Rear Tyre or around that rear Tyre area.
During this service they did wheel alignment + balancing + crossed the tyres from front to rear and vice-versa.
Most likely the noise is of the tyres rubbing the inside walls. Turn your steering completely to the left or right and check for some marks on the sides of the wall after you hear the noise. It should be there. If this is the case than the wheel alignment and balancing was either not done or not done correctly.

Top Bottom