Charge Your Car Batteries At Home

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

Up with a new DIY.charging the batteries would be easier now.that to at your home.The problem with battery recharge shops is that their time is not flexible as its advised to charge batteries for 8 hours.

For the below setup you will need:
1.An UPS(home or pc UPS)
2.A battery
3.Thick wires(preferable)
4.meter gauge(optional)

Note:for best results flush the water in the battery and add new distilled water which can be found at the petrol bunk or automobile shops

1.first open up the UPS.
2.screws could be found at the bottom.
3.After opening remove the battery terminal.If you like you can leave the battery or else you can remove it.
4.connect the terminals with the dead battery thru a cable.
5.**keep the caps of the water shells open while charging**
6.power on the UPS and DONT PRESS THE POWER SWITCH OF THE UPS.pressing the power switch will direct the AC current to the power ports and the battery will stop charging please keep it in standby position.

Charging for 8 hrs is preferred even though,my almost dead battery was charged at 6 hrs.

Have been tested only with 5L-B battery.I think you can use all automobile batteries.I don't have any idea about cars
Rep if you like the post [;)]

Re: DIY Charging batteries at home.

Nice DIY. Though I would not recommend this to all. The operation involves handling electricity and acid. And without proper knowledge, handling them would be dangerous.

Thread Starter #3
Re: DIY Charging batteries at home.

I agree with you but its pretty simple and you can even charge your batteries at night.like put the charge on at 10pm and remove it at 6 am put it on your bike go to work thats all this time period can't be done with battery shops [anger]

Last edited by a moderator:
It could work with a home inverter. Don't think the a ups would be able to charger a car battery that fast.

Still a risky as the battery emits a lot of poisonous gases when it gets charged.

It sounds somewhat logical but it should not be recommended. Yes said by people,it involve acid ,lead and some other chemical, we should not play around without having proper knowledge.

Thread Starter #6
yeah maybe true but since 5 years of battery charging I haven't seen any protection or measure taken by the person who does the work..

I use a 12v 5amp transformer for charging my 12v 38amp car battery. I also charge 12v7.2ah (UPS batteries) used for lighting purpose.
The transformer is extracted from an old 21" B/W TV. It produces 14~15 volts without any load. And the meter reads 13-14 volts while charging.
Photo1559.jpg
Photo1560.jpg
A 35v 2200uf capacitor is attached to it.
Photo1562.jpg
It is fitted in a SMPS box

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi friends,

Up with a new DIY.charging the batteries would be easier now.that to at your home.The problem with battery recharge shops is that their time is not flexible as its advised to charge batteries for 8 hours.

For the below setup you will need:
1.An UPS(home or pc UPS)
2.A battery
3.Thick wires(preferable)
4.meter gauge(optional)

Note:for best results flush the water in the battery and add new distilled water which can be found at the petrol bunk or automobile shops

1.first open up the UPS.
2.screws could be found at the bottom.
3.After opening remove the battery terminal.If you like you can leave the battery or else you can remove it.
4.connect the terminals with the dead battery thru a cable.
5.**keep the caps of the water shells open while charging**
6.power on the UPS and DONT PRESS THE POWER SWITCH OF THE UPS.pressing the power switch will direct the AC current to the power ports and the battery will stop charging please keep it in standby position.

Charging for 8 hrs is preferred even though,my almost dead battery was charged at 6 hrs.

Have been tested only with 5L-B battery.I think you can use all automobile batteries.I don't have any idea about cars
Rep if you like the post [;)]
I would like to open my little secret that I have installed an ups in my safari and a home inverter in my trax uv. these things provide mains voltage and we can easily use laptops, phone charger, camera charger etc.
if the car battery ever runs down, we can supply mains to the inverter and thus charge the car Battery. I remember years back when there was long power cuts dad used power from car inverter to light up some bulbs inside house!!!

someone from the design department stole my idea and we get readymade small inverter in 2000 rupees.

yes, these things are for experts and NOT laymans,
thumbs up to your post.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
I use a 12v 5amp transformer for charging my 12v 38amp car battery. I also charge 12v7.2ah (UPS batteries) used for lighting purpose.
The transformer is extracted from an old 21" B/W TV. It produces 14~15 volts without any load. And the meter reads 13-14 volts while charging.
View attachment 91472
View attachment 91473
A 35v 2200uf capacitor is attached to it.
View attachment 91474
It is fitted in a SMPS box
You have really worked hard bro.I think you would have spent some huge amount of time getting your project ready.[clap]

it would be nice if you post some step by step procedure of it

Thread Starter #10
I would like to open my little secret that I have installed an ups in my safari and a home inverter in my trax uv. these things provide mains voltage and we can easily use laptops, phone charger, camera charger etc.
if the car battery ever runs down, we can supply mains to the inverter and thus charge the car Battery. I remember years back when there was long power cuts dad used power from car inverter to light up some bulbs inside house!!!

someone from the design department stole my idea and we get readymade small inverter in 2000 rupees.

yes, these things are for experts and NOT laymans,
thumbs up to your post.
Really an impressive idea.I always thought of getting an AC converter for my car.This one is real great idea dude.Thanks a ton

You have really worked hard bro.I think you would have spent some huge amount of time getting your project ready.[clap]

it would be nice if you post some step by step procedure of it
Thanks for liking the charger. But really speaking there was no hard work at all [;)].
When I learnt about TV/electronics at a shop I wanted to make a big transformer to power the CAR stereos that we repaired. We used a small 1 amp transformer just to check them, it couldn't play them loud. One day(my Guruji) the shop owner bought an old TV. As I dismantled it I saw this transformer, tested it with a meter and the voltage was 22v. [shock] I Re winded the secondary till I got 15v. Connected a capacitor and charger ready. Earlier I used it without any box, later assembled it in a SMPS box

bhvm

Honoured Member
Really an impressive idea.I always thought of getting an AC converter for my car.This one is real great idea dude.Thanks a ton
Drop In anytime if you need to discuss about the matter.
Market Inverters are only One way (They can't charge the battery) and really low capacity (80~120W).

A PC UPS on the other hand, is 2 way (Can Charge Car battery and Also run AC Voltage Load), Its far more powerful 500~600W.

On my Trax UV, i have run a 760W Drill gun for a hole or two on it!!![evil]

Here are a few Pics of Custom UPS that I had used in My Safari (Under Navigator Seat)
Charges my Safari Battery (Fully down, No Crank ) in a Night's time, so MR Hari, It is confirmed that the UPS Idea works
Please click the links-

ALIM4586.JPG

ALIM4587.JPG

ALIM4588.JPG

ALIM4572.JPG

ALIM4565.JPG

ALIM4569.JPG
Thanks for liking the charger. But really speaking there was no hard work at all [;)].
Re-winding the transformer and all! man you sure deserve a pat on the back. You can also use the transformer from UPS and it won't need any rewinding.Even If the UPS is damaged, Transformers are usually fine- These are tough Guys! Check using a Multi Meter.

Last edited:

Top Bottom