Rebirth Of My Maruti 800 Type 2

Thread Starter #1
I have a M800 which was used by my brother, now i am taken it to restore it as it was parked in the dust for past 5 years [frustration]. The car is in a garage ( NOT MASS) and would require your suggestion and help.[:D]

Thread Starter #4
Re: Rebirth for my M800 Type 2

HI

I just found the list of damages in my car:-
1. Engine getting over heated
2. Breaks not working ( drove the car till garage using hand break)
3. Wheel bearing's ( F & B ) need to be changed
4. Front shock absorber
5. Cross arm , ball joint etc
6. Radiator servicing
7. Gear rod play is too much
8. Clutch & aclaratory cable to be changed
9. throttle body to be changed
10. Engine and GB flush and oil change
11. engine belt to be changed
This list is just the beginning [surprise] lot more to come....

Hi Ashish,
Welcome to TAI. Its good to know that you want to restore your M800. I have also restored my 93 model M800. Feel free to ask anything related to the restoration.

As the car was standing in the past 5 years, I would like to add few points to your checklist
1. Remove the carpet and check for any rust in the floor
2. Also check for any leaks/rust in the brake line below the carpet
3. Remove the fuel tank from the car and check for any rust. Also check the fuel lines.
4. Check the engine mounts

All the best for your restoration.

Brake boosters is a very necessary upgrade on M800s. I was suggested for this upgrade by M800 gurus but have not done this yet [frustration]. The brakes really feel scary after the car reaches 80 kmph +

Last edited:
Hi Ashish,
Welcome to TAI, this is a forum where you get plenty of support from friendly seniors. My restoration was greatly supported by TAI members. I recommend you to post pictures (inside, outside, engine bay, specific rust issues etc. This way we can help you by suggesting easy fixes/solutions.

Few suggestions from my side:
1. M800 is easy to restore than any other car
2. Not everything needs to be restored, many parts such as radiator, blower (fan), seats etc can be repaired, thus saving a lot of money.
3. Function over form, focus more on the engine, suspension, brakes initially then take care of seat covers etc.
4. Feel free to ask anything about your car here.
5. I will PM you my number, lets meet up & I am curious to see your car.

Solutions to your existing problems:
1. Engine overheating - Flush radiator, fill new coolant (coolant + water). When I say flush, it is not just draining, remove the radiator & have it pressure washed at any service station.

2. Change Radiator hose kit - costs only - Rs.160/- so no coolant leaks in the near future.

3. There are only 3belts in Maruti 800, replace all of them
> Dynamo belt - approx Rs.90/- (bosch make)
> AC Compressor belt - approx Rs.60/- (Bosch make)
> Timing Belt - (not visible from outside, it is inside the black casing) - MGP - Rs.700/-, local Rs.200/- max

4. Brakes - if there is any sign or damage/rust on the brake booster (if equipped) or if there is no brake booster, then buy new Brake booster kit
> KBX Brake Booster (with master cylinder, pipes etc) - Rs.3400/- approx
> New Brake Oil - Castrol/any brand - DOT4 - Rs.250/- max
> KBX/Bosch/Delphi - Disc Brake Pads - Rs.250/- (+/- Rs.15/-)
> Inspect all break lines, if found any leak/weak sections of the pipe get it replaced

5. Gear Rod Play - Replace gear rod bush kit (plastic parts below lever), if the round ball part of the lever is worn out, then replace the lever itself. Varun recently replaced it check with him for the price.

6. Accelerator, Speedometer & Clutch cable - DO NOT BUY REMSONS BRAND! MGP parts will cost you around 300max for all 3 together.

7. Throttle body - I have no idea about this, I am a carb guy, mpfi gurus can help you here.

CAUTION: DO NOT TAMPER any wiring, in carb cars it is easy to fix wiring issues, but in MPFi there are too many wires, so please be carefull.

Other things to change,
1. Wiper blades
2. Cleaning wiper water tank & coolant reservoir tank
3. Fuel filter & air filter
4. Oil opt for simple mineral oil - 3ltrs approx cost - Rs.800/- 15W20 Castrol/Shell
Use this oil for may be 500 kilometers & drain it off. Again fill it freshly with new engine oil. While flushing use flushing agent.
5. Gear oil replace straight away - No second thoughts here.

For pictures & prices of most of the M800 parts, check my thread - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac.html

You have not mentioned if your car is a type 2 or a type2 five speed.

Just a correction.The oil that SS80 is referring to is 15w40.For flushing purposes use the cheapest oil possible.You can also use diesel oil because it contains cleaning agents.Servo is a good oil.I have used it for a long time.

As far as rust goes, check the underside of the car.Check the firewall and cowl panel(where the wiper washer nozzles are) around the front and rear windshields.Behind the rear indicators.

To fit the booster you may need to modify your intake manifold.This is a tricky thing to do, I would suggest you contact Varun or Mr Rao.

For the clutch play you need to change the bushings as SS80 said.

If you change the clutch, try to find an ASCO or DAIKIN clutch(applicable to only type 2 not five speed not sure if you get these for the 5 speed).They are amazing, but a bit expensive.

Just get the throttle body and injectors cleaned.I believe there is a tvs or bosch place in Bangalore where they service the injectors.

For the overheating problem check the radiator and radiator fan wiring.Sitting for a long time might have caused electrical problems in some of the cooling system wiring.Flushing and checking the wiring will help with this.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Hi Ashish,
Welcome to TAI. Its good to know that you want to restore your M800. I have also restored my 93 model M800. Feel free to ask anything related to the restoration.

As the car was standing in the past 5 years, I would like to add few points to your checklist
1. Remove the carpet and check for any rust in the floor
2. Also check for any leaks/rust in the brake line below the carpet
3. Remove the fuel tank from the car and check for any rust. Also check the fuel lines.
4. Check the engine mounts

All the best for your restoration.

Brake boosters is a very necessary upgrade on M800s. I was suggested for this upgrade by M800 gurus but have not done this yet [frustration]. The brakes really feel scary after the car reaches 80 kmph +
HI Shantanu,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will surly check the brake lines and the other things

Thread Starter #10
Hi Ashish,
Welcome to TAI, this is a forum where you get plenty of support from friendly seniors. My restoration was greatly supported by TAI members. I recommend you to post pictures (inside, outside, engine bay, specific rust issues etc. This way we can help you by suggesting easy fixes/solutions.

Few suggestions from my side:
1. M800 is easy to restore than any other car
2. Not everything needs to be restored, many parts such as radiator, blower (fan), seats etc can be repaired, thus saving a lot of money.
3. Function over form, focus more on the engine, suspension, brakes initially then take care of seat covers etc.
4. Feel free to ask anything about your car here.
5. I will PM you my number, lets meet up & I am curious to see your car.

Solutions to your existing problems:
1. Engine overheating - Flush radiator, fill new coolant (coolant + water). When I say flush, it is not just draining, remove the radiator & have it pressure washed at any service station.

2. Change Radiator hose kit - costs only - Rs.160/- so no coolant leaks in the near future.

3. There are only 3belts in Maruti 800, replace all of them
> Dynamo belt - approx Rs.90/- (bosch make)
> AC Compressor belt - approx Rs.60/- (Bosch make)
> Timing Belt - (not visible from outside, it is inside the black casing) - MGP - Rs.700/-, local Rs.200/- max

4. Brakes - if there is any sign or damage/rust on the brake booster (if equipped) or if there is no brake booster, then buy new Brake booster kit
> KBX Brake Booster (with master cylinder, pipes etc) - Rs.3400/- approx
> New Brake Oil - Castrol/any brand - DOT4 - Rs.250/- max
> KBX/Bosch/Delphi - Disc Brake Pads - Rs.250/- (+/- Rs.15/-)
> Inspect all break lines, if found any leak/weak sections of the pipe get it replaced

5. Gear Rod Play - Replace gear rod bush kit (plastic parts below lever), if the round ball part of the lever is worn out, then replace the lever itself. Varun recently replaced it check with him for the price.

6. Accelerator, Speedometer & Clutch cable - DO NOT BUY REMSONS BRAND! MGP parts will cost you around 300max for all 3 together.

7. Throttle body - I have no idea about this, I am a carb guy, mpfi gurus can help you here.

CAUTION: DO NOT TAMPER any wiring, in carb cars it is easy to fix wiring issues, but in MPFi there are too many wires, so please be carefull.

Other things to change,
1. Wiper blades
2. Cleaning wiper water tank & coolant reservoir tank
3. Fuel filter & air filter
4. Oil opt for simple mineral oil - 3ltrs approx cost - Rs.800/- 15W20 Castrol/Shell
Use this oil for may be 500 kilometers & drain it off. Again fill it freshly with new engine oil. While flushing use flushing agent.
5. Gear oil replace straight away - No second thoughts here.

For pictures & prices of most of the M800 parts, check my thread - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac.html
HI SS80,

I went through your thread completely [:D]. I install brake booster for sure and will get the others things done. I have taken few photos yesterday in the garage, will upload ASAP

Thread Starter #12
You have not mentioned if your car is a type 2 or a type2 five speed.

Just a correction.The oil that SS80 is referring to is 15w40.For flushing purposes use the cheapest oil possible.You can also use diesel oil because it contains cleaning agents.Servo is a good oil.I have used it for a long time.

As far as rust goes, check the underside of the car.Check the firewall and cowl panel(where the wiper washer nozzles are) around the front and rear windshields.Behind the rear indicators.

To fit the booster you may need to modify your intake manifold.This is a tricky thing to do, I would suggest you contact Varun or Mr Rao.

For the clutch play you need to change the bushings as SS80 said.

If you change the clutch, try to find an ASCO or DAIKIN clutch(applicable to only type 2 not five speed not sure if you get these for the 5 speed).They are amazing, but a bit expensive.

Just get the throttle body and injectors cleaned.I believe there is a tvs or bosch place in Bangalore where they service the injectors.

For the overheating problem check the radiator and radiator fan wiring.Sitting for a long time might have caused electrical problems in some of the cooling system wiring.Flushing and checking the wiring will help with this.
My M800 is type 2 4 speed, is there a chance to covert it to 5 speed.

You could try to get a used five speed gearbox.The mounting will have to be modified.Not sure if the gearing will match though.

It doesn't match with the carb engine though.Everyone who tried it went back to the 4speed.

I would suggest you to skip the 5speed idea as it is not so easy to do & secondly even if we buy a used 5speed gearbox, it might be a defective one. In such a case you will spend on its repairs maintenance etc. I dont see any major rust issues inside the cabin, are you getting it repainted? if yes get it pressure washed before doing so. All the best. Waiting for engine bay pics

I agree with SS80.Modifications are certainly not for the faint hearted.If you have a good mechanic nothing will be difficult.Most things are time consuming and burn a hole in your pocket.

So just plan all the things and get them done one by one.

Top Bottom