Maruti Suzuki Alto Maintenance

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends

I own a 2011 Alto which has clocked 20,000 till date. Previously its engine oil was changed at 10,000 kms. There are some doubts regarding its maintanance.

1. Is it correct procedure to change Engine oil every 10,000 kms?
2. Air filter has cleaned during last service. Now do we need to replace Air filter or cleaning is enough. When should we replace Air filter?
3. During 10,000 kms service, Gear oil was not topped up/changed. When do we need to change gear oil usually? Also can i top up with existing oil or it should be drained?

Recently i noticed that Gear change has become tough. How much will it cost for gear oil for Alto approx?

Your suggestions will help me a lot. Thank you[:)]

Re: Maruti Alto Maintanance.

For majority of cars the correct method is to change engine oils every 10000 kms. Some new gen diesel cars which have synthetic oil recommends change every 15000 km.

Air filter needs to cleaned every 10000 kms if you car operated under dusty conditions. No need to change so early , if you are not looking for upgrade.

Gear oil top up is required, again no need to change it.

For gear change issue ask the mechanic to check the clutch plate.

@Shrikanth:

1)All good mechanics here always say, change the oil at 5000kms or one year.I know all car manuals will say 10000kms.

2)Clean the airfilter regularly and change it when you change the oil.But you may have to change it sooner if you live in dusty environments.

3)Check the gear oil, if it looks white in color or has become too thick.By gear change do you mean the stick shift has become hard.Then changing the gear oil will help with this.If the pedal is hard then its the clutch.Gear oil is around 200-250 /lt

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
@anshuman

Thanks a lot[:)] But i am not using synthetic oil. Will check about gear issue.

@jarpickle

Thank you so much[:)] Actually i am not aware of gear oil change till now. Since my car has clocked more than 20k and simultaneously gear shift became hard. Yeah i meant only the harshness in gear stick. Do you have an idea, that how much amount (Lts) of gear oil is required for an Alto?

Thanks again[:)]

@sachin

As of now, Fog lamps are not available in my Car. Also alignment has not been done for past 2 years as i did not found any side pulling of front wheels.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
@anshuman

Thanks a lot[:)] But i am not using synthetic oil. Will check about gear issue.

@jarpickle

Thank you so much[:)] Actually i am not aware of gear oil change till now. Since my car has clocked more than 20k and simultaneously gear shift became hard. Yeah i meant only the harshness in gear stick. Do you have an idea, that how much amount (Lts) of gear oil is required for an Alto?

Thanks again[:)]

@sachin

As of now, Fog lamps are not available in my Car. Also alignment has not been done for past 2 years as i did not found any side pulling of front wheels.

Thanks a lot.
The transmission oil in my 800 is 2lts.Should be almost the same.Refer to your owners manual for the correct details.

You should get the wheel alignment and balancing done with tyre rotation every 10000kms.This helps in even wear and longer life of the tyres.

Hey guys, I own a pre-worshipped Maruti alto (2007 october) which was bought by me last year in september 2012. At the time of purchasing the car the odo read 18121 kms. Now it reads 27000kms. I just want to know what all needs to be done exactly at this time. At 18121 kms, the following were changed :-

1. OIL FILTER MPFI
2. BELT,WATER PUMP (F8D) (ALTO)
3.COOLANT GOLDEN CRUISUR
4.CASTROL MGO 5W30.

Now the odo reads 27000 kms. What is the service that needs to be done here?. I am also facing some problem with my car here :-

1. Steering has become a tad heavier
2. There is some 'Karrrrrrr' noise coming from the engine bay. But as soon as i press the clutch pedal the noise goes away. Again when i depress the pedal, it comes back again. I think it has been running on the same gear oil for the past 6 years.
3. There is some squeaking noise coming from the front suspension when i drive through bad roads.
4. When turning right, some 'kat-kat' sound is heard (Already discussed but issue is there).
5. Clutch is funny, i.e. not fully smooth and is quite rough to press.
6.AC freezes up after some time (Also discussed and thermostat change is needed).
7. Some noise comes when i rev the vehicle when shifting gear (sound is like some plastic cover is in the fan but it is really not ).

So please tell me what all needs to be done and the solutions. Thanks.

Speed_freak:Check the owners manual for the things that need to be replaced at that time interval.

You need to change

1.OIL FILTER MPFI
2.CASTROL MGO 5W30.
3.COOLANT GOLDEN CRUISUR
4.Air Filter
5.Fuel filter
6.Gear oil

As for the clutch, inspect it.You may need to change the clutch and the clutch cable if it is excessively worn out and there is slippage.

For the steering, you need to get the steering rack and pinion serviced or changed.Which ever works out cheaper.Get the CV joints properly lubricated with grease.

Change any worn out boots in the steering rack and pinion and also the axles.The Axle boot kits come with their own grease.Get all the CV joints lubricated with grease.Get all the universal joints lubricated with grease.

For the suspension, you need to change the sturts, lower arms,ball joints and the bushes for the balance rod in the front.In the rear, the dampers and springs.The bushes in the trailing arms.

For the Gear box problem when shifting, check the bushes on the gear lever shafts.Change the bushes and the dust seals.

If you have any oil leaks around the engine, get them rectified ASAP.Mostly the seals tend to wear out.

Check the various sensors in the engine bay.Make sure everything is working like it should.

I am not sure of the AC.

Get all the bolts on the engine and inlet and exhaust manifold torqued to the correct specification.

Check the engine and gear box mounting and cross members.

The valve clearance of the engine adjusted.Get the camshaft belt,the waterpump belt and the AC and Alternator belt tightened.The camshaft belt condition needs to be checked as well.

Check the condition of the water pump as well.If it is badly rusted, then change it.

Check all the rubber hoses and pipes and replace any that are dried and worn out.Before changing the coolant you can get the coolant hoses changed.

Check the PCV valve.

Check the spark plugs,the distributor and then get the timing checked.Change the distributor cap if needed.Check the points(not sure if this is applicable to you)

Get the fuel injectors cleaned and get them spray tested.Replace all O-rings,seals,caps and filters in the Injectors.Get the resistance checked and them spray tests.

Change the rubber hoops that are used to hang the exhaust pipe.

Check the wheel bearings, get the alignment, balancing and rotation of the wheels done.

Check all the electrical wiring and replace any blown fuses.

Try to buy all MGP parts, for a dealer in your area check :www.mgp.co.in

This is all that I could think of.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So i go to MASS and ask how much it will cost to service my vehicle. He quoted a whooping 21000 rupees to service the vehicle which included the regular service and all the problems which i listed. I have attached the quote bill here.Well some parts are wear and tear like silencer and ac thermostat. So excluding all that also the bill comes to around 15000 rupees. Also since i had the car purchased from Mahindra FirstChoice and the car is under warranty, I took it to the first choice workshop itself. They gave me a quote of 9500 rupees for the 30000 kms service. I think i am being ripped off here and also the 20k service was not done properly (You can find my service history two posts above). Guys i am based in chennai. Please help me out what to do.

Attachments

Last edited:
Why have you not asked for the parts and labor bifurcation.Ask them to list the parts that are needed and the prices for the parts and also the labor charges to change those parts.That way we can get a better idea.

The M.A.S.S gets the parts from the MGP dealer at a discounted rate.But MGP and M.A.S.S will charge the customer full MRP.

M.A.S.S will also re add a tax when they give you the price as if they are reselling the part to you+they will increase the part price in the bifurcated bill.If you can get the part list for the jobs, you can purchase all of them from the MGP store and provide it to them if they are willing or get all the jobs done with the first choice workshop using MGP parts.Ask the first choice workshop for a parts and labor bifurcation too.

Check your owners manual for the kind of service you need to do at 30000kms.

Last edited:
I am not pretty happy with the way firstChoice responded. It looked like he just wanted to fleece money from me and nothing else. Did not even give me a proper quote when i asked for it. Just kept on saying 9500. Mass is much better here. Only 5000! I am just fed up of trying to find good workshops. Fleece, fleece and fleece is their only motto i guess. [anger]:mad:

And by the way, Why does a car which is around 6 years old and has only clocked 28000 kms needs this much amount of money to be serviced. Can someone please clarify on this.

Some things wear out with age rather than mileage.

When buying a used car one has to always think the car has run more than the ODO is showing.

Please check your user manual and see what things need to be replaced at 30000kms.

Apart from M.A.S.S there are other garages as well like TVS and Bosch and other local garages.Why don't you approach them.Get a parts list needed for the job and get the prices from the MGP store, that way you won't get fleeced on the parts cost.For the labor part you can agree to the total labor cost once the car is inspected thoroughly and before you hand over the car for the repairs.Be firm that it should not go over the agreed amount.

@Speed_freak It seems you have lot of problem in your car. I know a mechanic who is in madipakkam. I would suggest you to show him the vehicle, he will tell what needs to be changed.

Top Bottom