Maruti SX4 Clutch / Spark Plug Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Before I take it to the service center and might get fooled, would like to know what the exact problem is here.

1> Ignition delay. About 1 sec delay than usual (fresh engine). Is it normal? Or what should I check here. (27k driven).

2> A slight lag during the clutch release from a stand still position. More with A/C on.

3> Very slight extra vibration on idling. Feels on your seat, arm rest etc.

4> Lower response with A/C on. Used to be better.

After last service, it was fine for about a week and then got back to the same scenario. Awaiting suggestions.

Thanks.

Enjoy~!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: SX4 Clutch/Spark plug issue

i think one or more spark plug has gone kaput. 30k is normal for spark plugs to die. change all the 4 spark plugs. wait for others to reply.

I too feel replacing spark plugs would solve the issue. From my SX4 driving experience I feel its clutch will last much longer than 30K kms.

Thread Starter #4

Good point, that reminds me one more thing. Last time I took it to them, the cleaned the carbon formation on all the four spark plugs and like I already mentioned, the engine was smooth for a 2-3 days span and then back to the same.

Does spark plug have to do anything with the engine vibration and initial torque or is it just to do with the delay in ignition. Also, if anyone can help me with a rough cost of spark plugs as I never changed it so not much idea.

Thanks for your response.

Enjoy~!

Thread Starter #6

Thanks Varun. I spoke to Bimal Maruti just now, they said the same thing (80-120). Although he's saying that my spark plugs were changed during last service as free refurbishing. Don't know how come this pops up again.

Can anyone put some light on this concept of spark plug wires. Are they built within or they are the ones connecting the spark plugs to the electrical system. Would changing them cause any gain?

Thanks again.

Enjoy~!

Sometime ignitors are faulty and give problem. I faced this slight problem earlier on my wagon R. They said the ignitor unit is palying faulty. They didnt have in stock. So they replaced one from an Esteem. Once stock came, they replaced with new one. Vibration was gone. Since they already have changed the spark plugs, this might be the reason.

As nozzelring pointed out you should get the ignition coil checked out.

Also were the spark plugs gapped correctly.You should find the spark plug gap mentioned in the user manual.

Please post the findings here so anyone else having the same problem can refer to this thread.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks jarpickle and nozzlering. Noted down to point out ignition coil and spark plugs. Hope they (Maruti Service) provide me with proper feedback.

Also, thanks ss80 for meeting up and taking a drive personally to throw some suggestions. Would you mind sharing the concerns that you pointed out with the drive.

Thanks.

Enjoy~!

Ohh btw, I recalled seeing an SX4 with rattling problems at a local garage.It was actually due a cable that had come loose from a bunch(I believe they were bunched using cable ties) and that caused the rattle when the ignition key was turned on.

If that's is your issue, check it out.They location of that bunch was near the firewall towards the passenger side of the car.

Hi,

Before I take it to the service center and might get fooled, would like to know what the exact problem is here.

1> Ignition delay. About 1 sec delay than usual (fresh engine). Is it normal? Or what should I check here. (27k driven).

2> A slight lag during the clutch release from a stand still position. More with A/C on.

I had your point 1 sort of observation before Fuel pump of my car was failed. I think you need to check fuel pump. My fuel pump was replaced after 10K on Odo.

The point 2 observation I never had but I feel this is also due to fuel pump.

Please check the link below.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...fuel-pump-problem-sx4-diesel-celebration.html

Last edited:
Hi,
It was nice meeting you. Since I have driven a few SX4's recently this is what I could immediately feel when I drove your car.
1. The pickup is lower than that of a normal SX4 (acceleration), I could not touch even 100kmph(or 120) with ease despite near empty roads. upto 80 the pickup is somewhat good after that it does struggle (slow acceleration).
2. There is a kind of small lag before the car plunges forward at times in 2nd gear.
3. Ignition delay - yes (takes a little longer to start than a normal car)

Positives
1. Excellent interiors, high quality fabric OEM seat covers
2. Those scratches are not so easy to spot (atleast at night)
3. No mods - simple, clean, original factory condition
4. AC is a chiller, tyres are in good condition (although they are JK)
5. ZERO rattles, once window glasses are up it is a silent zone

The last car I drove was some 15days back for a stretch of around 6kms (it was a VXi - vvt engine) the pick up was way better. Not sure why.

Thread Starter #14
jarpickle : It's a ZXi variant. Petrol.

ss80 : Thanks. The torque part is a concern for me. It's also been long since I checked the tyre pressure. Would get that done too ASAP.

ManIsBack : Does it imply for petrol as well. As your thread suggests, it went off completely. Mine is the case where the duration of ignition is very much constant (but late than a fresh engine). It won't vary like sometimes late, sometimes no ignition etc.

Enjoy~!

Check you spark plugs and get the injectors and throttle body cleaned.There are Bosch and TVS service centres that provide injector cleaning services.

Change your airfilter if you haven't already.Check the color of the engine oil and gear oil.If the engine oil is dark in color and smells burnt change it.If the gear oil is white and thick change that too.Change the fuel filter if you haven't already.

Check all the rubber boots on the steering rack and axles, if they are frayed and torn change them ASAP.

Last edited:

Top Bottom