Hyundai i20 - Servicing Required?

Thread Starter #1
My i20 Magna Petrol (delivery on 28/9/2011) has clocked just 8405 kms. about 18 months old. I have purchased extended warranty on the car.

i have blindly gone through the first 3 services, at times paying for all consumables my dealer (Modi Hyundai) advised me.

Now they called me for the 4th paid service. They tell me that minimum cost for the paid service is rs3500 and the only replacement is the engine oil and oil filter! rest all will be checked/inspected and then will be given an estimate for changing etc. That, of course, would be extra!

my car is fine absolutely, and i can say that after a Pune trip of about 400 kms yesterday. I get the car "serviced and washed" at the HP Petrol Pump every 3-4 months. No idea what they do, but comes back clean and nice.

my doubts are
(a) whether a service is required at all?
(b) if yes, is the cost accurate and justified
(c) will there be warranty issues if i service it in the 24th month

Please advise. Thanks in advance

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
my adviser told me that you can delay the service of the car by 2 months if your car has covered less kilometers.

3500 rupees is a lot for engine oil and oil filter.

oil and oil filter will cost you = 1000 rupees ( approx)
periodic maintenance will cost you = 1500 rupees [approx]
so say 2500 rupees including tax.

they will charge you 3500 rupees , including
air filter - 250 rupees
brake pad cleaning - 150 rupees ,
throttle body cleaning - 150 rupees.
injectors cleaning - 350 rupees.

and yeah if you miss your service your car warranty will get void. no need for all the mentioned things above.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
thks allhyundaicars

u have cleared out more doubts than the service station did [:D][clap]

my point exactly - 3500 was eye-popping!
engine oil and filter was anyways acceptable........ and don't mind paying the 3500 if they do what you have listed out

but do they actually do it??? or just hand over the car to me after a wash [confused] and say its done charging me 3500!

Last edited:
I think the warranty period of your car is for 2 years/60000kms.
If you are not running KM's then you need to change the oil and filter every 6 months ie, two services a year that's it.
If you do oil change every 6 months then you have all the claim to avail any warranty.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you'r welcome. I have a lot of experience with hyundai (as my name suggests [:D]

That's the only reason i prefer getting my cars serviced from outside. Everything happens in front of your eyes , it gives more satisfaction.

Just ask your adviser 2 things.
1. Can you get your car serviced after 2 months of due date. Tell him my friends adviser suggested the same

2. Whenever you get your car serviced , ask the adviser to call you whenever they are doing some work on your car. I do the same. You will have to sit in the center but like i said before it will yield more satisfaction.

I only get my car serviced from the center when i think it is necessary since they check each and everything (it is good but at times they fool the customer into changing parts so be cautious. )

Thread Starter #6
I think the warranty period of your car is for 2 years/60000kms...
...... avail any warranty.
i had purchased extended warranty and my i20 is warrantied for 3 years... not worried abt kms as it would never reach that limit. taking your advice - changing oil and filter

you'r welcome. I have a lot of experience with hyundai (as my name suggests [:D]

That's the only reason i prefer ...............
........... parts so be cautious. )
i loved the positivity in your replies![:D]
last 3 services left me wondering what they actually did with my car[roll] as it was ready faster than i expected it to take, especially since there were tens of cars and huge waiting list for appointments!

I will make an appointment and watch over their activities if they agree.... which brings me to the question -

Q. Must it be a Hyundai Authorised Service Station? i spoke with Excel Auto and am comfortable to deal with. They claim to be Hyundai Authorised Service Centre and much lesser at 2600 including all of the above + i get to see what they do[cheers]

Last edited:
You just need to conform about the HASS and not necessary it should be at the company showroom service centres only for your services.
With lesser running you can go for every six months service intervals as suggested by alex.

i had purchased extended warranty and my i20 is warrantied for 3 years... not worried abt kms as it would never reach that limit. taking your advice - changing oil and filter

i loved the positivity in your replies![:D]
last 3 services left me wondering what they actually did with my car[roll] as it was ready faster than i expected it to take, especially since there were tens of cars and huge waiting list for appointments!

I will make an appointment and watch over their activities if they agree.... which brings me to the question -

Q. Must it be a Hyundai Authorised Service Station? i spoke with Excel Auto and am comfortable to deal with. They claim to be Hyundai Authorised Service Centre and much lesser at 2600 including all of the above + i get to see what they do[cheers]
Make sure that you change the oil and the filter at an authorized service station itself to avail your warranty,
you can skip the alignment and balancing from the dealer to decrease the service cost.

Last edited:
+1 to alexddas, if you want to avail your warranty than you have to do the servicing of your car from authorized Hyundai ASS or your warranty will be void. like during my 10k service few days ago i did my wheel balancing & alignment from outside as this was not necessary to do from service center. regarding kilometers & days the service manager said to me that they can adjust 15 days and maximum to 500kms if it exceeds the required criteria for service due.

Thread Starter #10
thanks Alex
i googled excel auto at HP Petrol Pump at Vile Parle (West) and it says Authorised - have an appointment tom at 9:30. will double-check before committing.

Thread Starter #12
Servicing done! [cheers]

What a pleasant experience it was. Excel Auto, is a HASS and a great one. Right from taking down my requests to handover, it was a breeze. Felt at home, and i'm sure so did my car. No cons, no pushy sales (read:advisor) man, no catch. Just simple as you like it.

and all for just 2500!

5 STARS to Excel and the Team![clap]

thanks TAI members for your advice.

Thread Starter #14
This is all what they did

(a) brake pad cleaning - scrubbed it over sand paper
(b) fuses cleaned
(c) throttle body cleaned with some spray-can. removed the carbon
(d) battery water checked, all lights checked
(e) engine oil and oil filter changed
(f) brake oil replenished
(g) air filter, engine and ac - both cleaned
(h) some eye-scan or something where all electrical parts are checked
(i) there was some noise in my clutch-pedal - sprayed wd40 and applied grease
(j) complete wash (diesel, shampoo) and air-pressure cleaning and vacuum
(h) interior plastic and tyre polishing
(i) greasing of doors hinges, and cleaning of water outlets in doors
(j) test drive

atleast these are the items i saw! apart from this maybe more when i was on my cigarette break[;)]

Worth every Penny!

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
that's nice but all those services are undertaken in hass as well.
After reaching home i too will search for a similas sc.

Hass don't apply grease on door hinges when i asked them to do so.

Did they use a sealed engine oil can or pour the oil from a big drum ?

And upload the bill pic as well.

Top Bottom