Power Steering Fluid Leakage in Ikon

Thread Starter #1
My ikon power steering oil is leaking and today I gave it for repair at rajshree ford, Coimbatore. After inspecting the car they say the power steering unit has reached its lifetime and needs changing or overhauling at a lathe shop which they will take care of. The price for changing new cost 15000 rupees whereas doing work at lathe shop cost only 6000 rupees. This advice was given by the ford service advisor to me. So I went ahead for repairing at lathe shop.

I need advice from you guys on how to handle this . I suspect on the reason given by the advisor about the cause for oil leakage. What do you guys think will be the Cause for oil leakage? Could it be any other problem?

Thanks

Re: power steering oil leakage

My ikon power steering oil is leaking and today I gave it for repair at rajshree ford, Coimbatore. What do you guys think will be the Cause for oil leakage? Could it be any other problem?
It is the oil seal of the power steering rack which has gone kaput. But IMHO taking it into a lathe shape and repairing it is not a permanent solution. It will work well for sometime, may be even two or three years if you are lucky. But it will start leaking again.

I welcome to be corrected.

Can you please post a pic of the leak source? Is it the pump which has failed? I think members who own Palio/Ikon/Indica/Manza type of cars can throw some light here. As most new cars come with EPS.

How old is your car and how many kms has it clocked?

How did you oil leak happen ? Did you park your car with your steering turned and locked?

It would be advisable to go for new unit rather than going for machine shop work. Try to source a used one from junk market if possible.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for your advice guys. I got the car delivered today.I enquired the ford service advisor about the possible reasons for the oil leakage and he said the bigger profile tyres caused the failure. I run on 185/60 michelin xm1+ tyres. He advised me to change to lower profile(175 or 165) .

I think he is correct. ever since I changed to
bigger profile tyres I felt the steering bit hard to turn! watch this on your cars guyz[roll]

Thanks for your advice guys. I got the car delivered today.I enquired the ford service advisor about the possible reasons for the oil leakage and he said the bigger profile tyres caused the failure. I run on 185/60 michelin xm1+ tyres. He advised me to change to lower profile(175 or 165) .

I think he is correct. ever since I changed to
bigger profile tyres I felt the steering bit hard to turn! watch this on your cars guyz[roll]
How much was the bill? Did you get it changed or repaired?

Thread Starter #7
The bill is 6000 for the powet steering work at lathe shop (done by ford guyz itself).

Total bill is 12000

engine bed weak ,changed new one-1500
engine oil leakage-4000
suspension vibration-500

Last edited:

Top Bottom