Is Turbocharger Repairable?

Thread Starter #1
Would like to know if a fiat multijet diesel engine turbocharger is repairable.Have seen turbo repair centre board at some places techies pls advise

Would like to know if a fiat multijet diesel engine turbocharger is repairable.Have seen turbo repair centre board at some places techies pls advise
What is the damage to your turbo ? It might be repairable but cost of repair may exceed than buying a new one, depending on the damages. Better if you can find a replacement turbo from scrap markets and fit into your car.

BTW do you have a fiat or tata car ?

As anshuman said, repair costs might exceed the cost of turbocharger itself. If maintained properly turbos would never give problem. However, ill maintenance would lead to heavy damage, mostly irreparable, as they are rotating at very high speeds. A minor imbalance or loss of lubrication would be fatal for the turbo.

It wont exceed the repair cost, but it will be in the same region as buying a new one.

I would suggest, if you can buy a new one and get the old one repaired for a rainy day.

The repairing of the turbochargers is very much possible. The job can be executed at after market shops or certain service centres and it all depends on the extent of damage. Mostly you would find the cabbies at these turbo repair centres.

I think it would be wise to replace turbo . how much dose it costs ..? Ertiga's turbo costs some 30k rs.

Cost would depend on type of turbo charger - whether VGT or FGT. Last time when I checked, Punto's & Linea's VGT turbo costs @ 30k & FGT @18k

I believe a lot of Indian cars use the same diesel engine (FIAT MJD 1.3) so turbo prices too would be the same right?

What is the difference between VGT & FGT? How do we know if a car's turbo has some issues/problems. Are there any clear signs of turbo damage?

What is the difference between VGT & FGT?
Power delivery would be more linear in a VGT fitted diesel mill. Hence turbo lag would be reduced. Unlike FGTs, there wont be sudden surge of power when the turbo kicks in.

Advantages of VGT - reduced lag time & better efficiency

Are there any clear signs of turbo damage?
Main indication is car would refuse to achieve high speeds or take more than usual time to reach high speeds / car will start feeling extremely sluggish even while driving in turbo zone.

Last edited:
^^ Its again cost factor. Hence most of the hatches come with FGT turbo barring few (like Punto 90hp is VGT, same should be i20 & D90 as well). Sedans like Linea, Verna, SX4 all are equipped with VGTs

^^ Its again cost factor. Hence most of the hatches come with FGT turbo barring few (like Punto 90hp is VGT, same should be i20 & D90 as well). Sedans like Linea, Verna, SX4 all are equipped with VGTs
Manza and VistaD90 comes with VGT too. Also add Ertiga to the list.

Most cause of turbo damage is the oil not reaching the impeller bearings.Also bad intercooler plumbing can cause some problems too.

So everyone with a turbo engine, change your oil and coolant at regular intervals.Use oil viscosity that has been provided in your manual or something that is much better.Cost cutting when it comes to crucial parts can lead to big bills later on.

Check the oil line to the turbo to make sure its not clogged.

Check nothing is blocking the intercooler,keep an eye on all the plumbing pipes make sure all are fastened correctly and there are no frayed or cracked hoses.

Keep an eye on the pressure gauge and make sure the car is not running hot.

Top Bottom