Maruti 800 Restoration Project

Thread Starter #1
Hello all [:D] i m new member to this site .Recently i have purchases a M800 in very bad conditions but car was in running condition ,i was impressed by its mileage and price of spares it has so i realized that it can be kept for long time so i started restoration project i this restoration project i will do everything on my own and i expect technical help from all members thanks.

car requires denting painting desperately I am attaching recent pics of car

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi,
Welcome to TAI. Congrats for the purchase of the car. Do post more details like the price, KMs covered tyre condition etc. Also post few more pics like the interiors, engine bay, underbody. The car really needs a good dent/paint job. Also check the underbody for any rusting.
Feel free to ask anything regarding the car and restoration.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for reply

i got it from my friend in 19000/- body is rusted and tyre condition is not very good
it has 35000 on odo may be one lac + 35000
engine is very good no blue white black smoke
rusting is also another problem becouse it was unattended for 2 years

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
I have started removing dents with car body filler and finishing with NC putty and also repair some damaged parts due to rust
i have removed seats,trims,mats, head/teal lights
The main problem is how to paint after removing dents[confused]
kindly guide me

Hi ramankanythia,

Another 800 lover..welcome to the forum. As 350Z mentioned, have a look at the link above and surely it will enhance the enthusiasm in you on the restoration. All the best and please keep us posted on the updates.

Girish

Thread Starter #7
Thanks you all for reply

I basically started this project after looking at the post you mentioned
but that guy((Bought My First Car - Maruti 800 AC) seems to be professional . i may be wrong or over estimated him
i have now started the work but dont know how to achieve perfection like him.
I need following information from all my friend on TAI
what is cost of maruti part (i will mention there after)
what are the steps which needs to be taken for paining etc
sending updated pics for more update of M800

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Raman, Your car's floor is in good condition, there is very less rust and there are no holes in the floor. (As there is no AC) The area behind the rear bumper is also in okk condition. So you don't need any patchwork. Do remove the front bumper and check that the cross-member and the engine mounting points have no rust. Also check for the bumper mounting brackets. Remove the fenders and check inside for any rust.
One thing I would like to say, PLEASE DON'T HURRY I have learnt this from my restoration experience. Check this thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/7693-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-93-model.html. I would like to say that make a proper schedule and then work.
Sorry to say, but you have done a mistake by filling the dents and scratches without removing the previous paint. In this way the putty and primer will not stick to the body and may fall of if there is any minor scratch. THIS TYPE OF WORK IS DONE IF THE COMPLETE CAR IS NOT GOING TO BE REPAINTED. Will you repaint the car completely.

I'll soon post a step by step work schedule that I have followed during restorations at my friend's garage. BTW which year model is your car ?? Which parts price do you want to know ??

Thread Starter #9
Thanks Shantanu
This model is 94 non ac
I was late associating TAI now i have done all this work i was thinking for whole body paint but plz suggest now what to do
any solution if i can grind whole body of car for repaint or i can spray

Thread Starter #10
Thanks Shantanu
This model is 94 non ac
i need all trims for windows as old one is damaged,fuel pipe is also rusted (where petrol is feed into from fuel station)
I was late associating TAI now i have done all this work(removed paint from dent and filled with body solder after that i used NC putty)[frustration]
i was thinking for whole body paint but plz suggest now what to do
any solution if i can grind whole body of car for repaint or i can spray primer followed by paint[confused]
i have removed both bumpers sending pic

Attachments

Humm..Car Body Still In Good Condition Buddy..u need to follow this Steps From My side i consider that steps with my knowledge of my sold out M800`98 Model..Look Check the SS80 Project its Awesome

1.Remove rust and repair any dents you do not want to be visible when the painting is complete.
2.Remove any chrome or plastic trim which can be taken off easily and replace later. Much of the body panel moldings used on cars can be snapped off and snapped back on easily, but if a gentle attempt to remove it is not successful, do not try to force it off. Some stores sell tools that aid in the process of removing trim.
3.Sand the paint either to the bare metal, the original primer, or at least sufficiently for the new paint to adhere to. How much you choose to sand is up to you, but the best results will require removing the paint down to bare metal, repriming the surface with an automotive primer, and then applying your finish paint.
4.Clean all surfaces thoroughly, using mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to make sure no oils (including body oils from fingers and hands) are on the car.
5.Use masking tape and paper to cover all surfaces not to be painted, including glass, window trim, door handles, mirrors, and grills. Make sure that there are no holes in the masking tape and paper that will allow overspray to get through.
6.Then Go For The paint (Alwyas Consider the Professionals)
7.when the Car is painted ,then go for the engine Check.check cables wires oil seals etc.
8.if ur seat is well then go for the leather seat cover for decent nice look..
9. for all parts collect from MS ASS MGA only

10.check all wirings stuff ,interior
11.install sound dampening material..also consider The "Yoga mats idea from over TAI user "
12.after all that rust proofing and some polishing and bath at 3M car care
13..is the unlucky but this one from my side :Dpost more and more pic ..we can help u better[:D]

i Totaly agree with Shantanu.lko..DOnt Be Hurry Just Go to step by step Work check the other M800 restore project.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply

i got it from my friend in 19000/- body is rusted and tyre condition is not very good
it has 35000 on odo may be one lac + 35000
engine is very good no blue white black smoke
rusting is also another problem becouse it was unattended for 2 years
Hey IT`s rusty on car chassis near the suspension.please remove and check.too rusty or not ! u need the check whole body first i think some of part u need to tinkering,remove the side tail single when ever u start sanding..its for better shape.

HI Raman,
If you paint the car without sanding the car completely and with these putty patches, the paint will be uneven. As you are not expert in painting, so you will be unable to paint the patched surface. If you paint the car in this condition, the putty patch and body color surface will be different in color shade. Putty area will become dark after drying.
In my opinion, you should re-sand the body to bare metal and then fill the putty again to the whole car. BTW how much have you spent in putty and other material ??

Stop the putty work and forget about painting for few days and check the following area for rust and remove the rust completely from the floor, dicky area, wheel wells, near the bumpers. Remove the fenders and check the fender and inside area for rust. Also remove the pads(that hold speakers) in the dicky area and check for rust. And see that there are no holes in that area
Your car should be rust free if you want to keep it for long time with you. Check all body metal and if you find anything corroded you will have to replace that metal by tinkering and attaching new metal.
A hard wire brush, flat head screwdriver, old tooth brush and emery paper of 80 and 120 grit will be required to remove the rust completely. Remove all the rust from your car by scrapping the rust using wire brush. Then sand the surface lightly using 80 grit paper. After sanding is done, remove the rust particles and sand the surface with 120 grit paper to smoothen the surface. At last use acid (available in general store) to mix with water and clean the surface. Mix 30% acid to 70% water and wash off the surface and dry it properly.

After you complete the cleaning process anti rust coating is to be done.

This area is badly rusted. So, you need to remove all the rust properly. Remove the petrol tank also and check for rust in the tank body. Also check under the car for the fuel pipe. If you find some cracks or rust, just replace all the pipes. Its an easy job. I would recommend you to sand the car properly to bare metal (remove all the paint and the putty)

Use micro grit sanding paper and start sanding the car properly. keep a bucket of water and wet the paper and surface before sanding. But before this sanding and painting, remove all rust from the car and apply primer.

Top Bottom