Unusual Noise in Maruti Alto Steering

Thread Starter #1
My alto is a used 2007 model (oct) which was bought by me last september. When my alto is driven for a specified period of time or km, There is the noise which crops up from the front. It kind of sounds like 'kada kada kada kada'. Then after sometime, It disappears. I took it to my mechanic thrice. He could not figure it out [frustration]. Then fourth time i happened to pass by his shop when the sound occured. He test drove the car and said the Steering rack has gone it has to be changed. Quoting around 3500 for that but my car is under warranty. But still i need to know what is really wrong.
Note :- This sound has been coming from the first day i bought the car [anger]. Please help guys [confused]

The steering rack has gone kaput in all probabilities.

If the sound is happening on a turn, please check your L/R lower arms also.

Please post your ODO reading.
If the rack is gone then you will hear the sound always and you may feel it on the steering too, so in this case i do not think so.
The 'rack' play can be adjusted if,
the steering is free and you are not feeling a steering tight at present.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Please post your ODO reading.
If the rack is gone then you will hear the sound always and you may feel it on the steering too, so in this case i do not think so.
The 'rack' play can be adjusted if,
the steering is free and you are not feeling a steering tight at present.
18121kms when i bought it. The sound has been coming from the day i bought it. Yes you're right. But it only comes after a period of time. Play has been adjusted and the noise was less i think. And the steering was tight actually. But i changed my tyres and steering is very light now. I should adjust the play then. But is it rack or something else?

As you have said that the sound is heard when turning L/R, then why don't you check front wheel drive shaft. That may help you to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Get a second opinion.Steering problems do not always require a steering rack change. my friend also had the steering rack changed on his alto recently. he showed the car at two different ASS. it cost 5100(4500+600 labor).

you should try contacting*maruti*on their CRM number 18001800*180 or email them at*contact@maruti.co.in*and they should get in touch with you at the earliest. It’s worked for me in the past

Sir this is Dr.M.Srinivas i am having same problem in my Wagon r .I spent at least 15000 for new tyres,servicing etc. Ball joint are clear.
But no use same sound excited. Atlast They suggest me to replace Steering rack 3500+labour .I suggest you sir to replace the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
18121kms when i bought it. The sound has been coming from the day i bought it. Yes you're right. But it only comes after a period of time. Play has been adjusted and the noise was less i think. And the steering was tight actually. But i changed my tyres and steering is very light now. I should adjust the play then. But is it rack or something else?
It's not necessary to replace rack . It's will be done by replace a rack bush nd doing steering overall..

Top Bottom