What is Anti-Roll Bar?

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends,
I was going through this specification section of DUSTER and came across this term in suspension "ANTI ROOL BAR"

Are these provided in all cars or only suvs.
could any one explain its main purpose and how do they word.

can these be fitted as aftermarket.

Re: Anti rool bar

This comes fitted with almost all cars, I guess your Eeco has it too.

This helps in controlling the body roll when taking turns at high speeds.
It helps in maintaining balance when taking turns instead of tilting the car on one side.
Will try to take a pic in my car and post it.

Last edited:

I was going through this specification section of DUSTER and came across this term in suspension "ANTI ROOL BAR"
I guess that the exact term should be anti roll bar. In my car I was told that it was the metal rod which joins the two front suspensions.
I welcome to be corrected.

The main purpose of Anti Roll Bar (Stabilizer Bar, Anti Sway Bar) is to distribute the weight of the car while taking turn.

If you are taking the sharp turn then it is normal tendency that if you are inside the car, your body gets pulled over to the outside of the turn. Same happens with all the parts of the car. Due to this there may be situation that the tyres which are on inside turn gets lifted and the car rolls.

To avoid this situation all the cars have anti roll bar as a suspension member, which will help to evenly distribute the weight of the car while taking turn.

I think anti roll bar is the blue rod in pic below. Pic is taken from Varun560061's thread.

Source : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...4-my-modified-maruti-800-a-44.html#post237369

This is not the anti roll bar. These are located in suspension assembly and not in the engine bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attached some photos of anti-roll bar. Premier Padmini had front and rear anti-roll bars ! and it was so stable on the road. Maruti 800 has it in the front side only.[frustration]
Varun, will you please fabricate one for M.800 at the rear end?

Attachments

Last edited:
As the name suggests (Anti Roll bar) it prevents the vehicle roll by connecting the LH & RH suspension.
It is available in most of the cars (ranging from Alto to Merc) Front suspension
In SUVs & cars with multilink rear suspension, you can even find ARB in rear too.

Sway bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guys, the anti-sway/anti-roll/balance rod comes with the suspension which can be viewed from under, the body of the car.

Drawbacks
Because an anti-roll bar connects wheels on the opposite sides of the vehicle together, the bar will transmit the force of one-wheel bumps to the opposite wheel. On rough or broken pavement, anti-roll bars can produce jarring, side-to-side body motions (a "waddling" sensation), which increase in severity with the diameter and stiffness of the sway bars. Excessive roll stiffness, typically achieved by configuring an anti-roll bar too aggressively, will cause the inside wheels to lift off the ground during very hard cornering. This can be used to advantage: many front wheel drive production cars will lift a rear wheel when cornering hard, in order to overload the other wheel on the axle, limiting understeer.

Source:wikipedia

Attachments

Last edited:
Anti roll bar

Hi guys,
As many stated correctly anti roll bar is very common in our cars. However, some enthusiasts install additional support which is fitted inside the trunk. Two high strength rods are attached to the chassis in a cross structure.
Also the one in blue pic, is called front strut bar. It connects the two struts and provides better corner ability.
If you install both of these -it improves the handling a lot. I had them in my previous car.

But this setup will improve the driveablity mainly for big cars ; sedan or suvs. For hatchbacks I am not sure what improvements these are going to bring in.

The anti roll bar is the metal rod which joins the left and right side of the front suspension.
Just bend down in front of your car and you can easily spot it.
The one in the above pic (Varun's car) is strut brace.
I think both strut brace and anti roll bar do the same work.

I think both strut brace and anti roll bar do the same work.
Not exactly. Strut brace improves the handling by adding more stiffness to the strut mounts (body)
ARBs does a different job by controlling the suspension articulation (pulling up the inner wheels) during cornering.

Not exactly. Strut brace improves the handling by adding more stiffness to the strut mounts (body)
ARBs does a different job by controlling the suspension articulation (pulling up the inner wheels) during cornering.
To the point answer by Mr.Boss. Like a Boss[roll]

An Anti-roll bar is a torsion bar, a steel bar with very high elasticity which minimizes suspension articulation. This is necessary as during high speed cornering, the body will move horizontally towards the outside of the corner due to centrifugal forces. This forces the inner wheels to lift up sometimes. The anti roll bar prevents this by limiting the articulation of the outer wheel by pivoting it to the inner wheel. It wont let the inner wheel pull up and also wont let the outer wheel dip too much, thus the feeling of the vehicle rolling over is minimized. All cars have this, more so SUV's ans Tall Boys.

A strut brace, on the other hand, minimizes flex on the struts. As a car corners at a high speed, the wheel moves inside and towards each other, pulling the struts away from each other. The strut brace minimizes it and provide greater road holding and better contact patch.[clap]

During OTR with jeeps etc, drivers detach the Anti Roll bars for better Articulation.

Last edited:
Just confirming, This is present on all the new model cars. So why is there a still an issue of cornering for SUV's like Scorp or Sumo? Also was this not present at all in Omini?

Top Bottom