AC Gas R12 Replacement Is Now Easy

Thread Starter #1
Few months back i had a problem with my Car A.C, mine was a 98 model Zen.A.C gas need to be filled.

Consulted MASS for AC service at Srikakulam,A.P They said that the gas used in my car is R12 and its been banned, and thus they will not able to top up the gas. They said if i want they can get a conversion kit fitted with them, costs 8k along with new R134a gas filling.
they recommended me to go for new R134a.I consulted some local A.C mechanic and got servicing along with R12 gas filling for Rs.1000.[:)]

After that I did some research and came to know that Dupont had come up with a drop-in replacement gas for R12 called Isceon MO49 Plus (R-437A) and it was available.
DuPont? ISCEON® MO49Plus (R-437A) Refrigerant

The good news is that nothing needs to be changed, not even the mineral oil in the compressor and MO49+ is going to be available in the future since it has no environmental issues like ozone layer damage etc. All these AC guys are intentionally not disclosing this info and recommending to change the entire kit for using R134a and making tons of money. Ask your AC guy or at service station people and see how they act like they are unaware about it. Every car A/C shop just said that R12 is not available anymore, so the only option is to convert to use 134a, either by servicing the compressor, changing the pipes, condensor & evaporator, or by going for a change of everything barring the evaporator. They did not speak of Dupont’s MO49+ though being in the car A/c industry, they should have been aware of it. I guess they stand to rake in much more money by replacement/conversion than by suggesting an alternative gas![frustration]

MO49 Plus is available from Dupont distributors at retail cost of Rs 350 per can of 340 gms.

Regards,

Re: A.C gas R12 replacement is easy now.

Thanks kyalla for the information. It seems MO49Plus has come in recently. But I do not understand why we need a conversion kit for the existing to be compatible with R134a use.
In marine field, we too have changed over to R134a, almost completely. But never heard of any conversion kit, except for lubricant change.

Thread Starter #4
One can not directly change from R12 to R134a,the new gas is far more susceptible to moisture and corrosion. so, new R134a suitable oil must be filled in the compressor, complete flushing of condensor and evoporator with nitrogen to be done,Drier need to be changed and then R134a can be filled.The total cost will be atleat 5000.
Alternately R12 is still available in the market at aprice of around Rs.750.
If one is serious about depletion of ozone layer/using banned product u can use Dupont's Isceon MO49 Plus (R-437A)

Mine is a 1994/Maruti 800. I too was advised to convert the ac kit. last weekend i met an ac mechanic who checked my car and asked to change a new resonance switch- for better air throw, fill up cooling oil and finally R134a gas topup all @ cost of 1250.

Re: Hello Everyone at TAI (^_^)

i want to recharge ac refrigerant for my car, the refrigerant is R-12 i was thinking of replacing it with dupont's MO49 plus. Does anyone know where i can get it preferably in bangalore
thanks in advance ^_^

HI ALL

My friend has a Zen running on R12, he wants to change the gas to Dupont MO49, please let me know var can this be done in Bangalore, if you have any contacts please share

hello friends

i have esteem car with AC non working last year i went to AC guys they told me that they will check leakage of the system and i need to pay 1000 for that.
the connected gauges and pressurized the system with refrigerator compressor afterwords they found that there is no leakage in system.
when they filled gas is asked them that is it freon or r134 as on AC components of my car it was written as R134 i told them that why you not fill r134 he told then that it is costlier than freon i need to pay 1500 for that so i agreed.
my car AC worked fine(not very good) for 4 months now this time compressor clutch is engaging but no cooling.

plz ans some of my quarries :
can a system made for r134 work on freon
can i mix r134 and freon?
my AC system has leakage but very small (it took one year to gas to escape) how to fix it?
can i popup gas now to make system working

Few months back i had a problem with my Car A.C, mine was a 98 model Zen.A.C gas need to be filled.

Consulted MASS for AC service at Srikakulam,A.P They said that the gas used in my car is R12 and its been banned, and thus they will not able to top up the gas. They said if i want they can get a conversion kit fitted with them, costs 8k along with new R134a gas filling.
they recommended me to go for new R134a.I consulted some local A.C mechanic and got servicing along with R12 gas filling for Rs.1000.[:)]

After that I did some research and came to know that Dupont had come up with a drop-in replacement gas for R12 called Isceon MO49 Plus (R-437A) and it was available.
DuPont? ISCEON® MO49Plus (R-437A) Refrigerant

The good news is that nothing needs to be changed, not even the mineral oil in the compressor and MO49+ is going to be available in the future since it has no environmental issues like ozone layer damage etc. All these AC guys are intentionally not disclosing this info and recommending to change the entire kit for using R134a and making tons of money. Ask your AC guy or at service station people and see how they act like they are unaware about it. Every car A/C shop just said that R12 is not available anymore, so the only option is to convert to use 134a, either by servicing the compressor, changing the pipes, condensor & evaporator, or by going for a change of everything barring the evaporator. They did not speak of Dupont’s MO49+ though being in the car A/c industry, they should have been aware of it. I guess they stand to rake in much more money by replacement/conversion than by suggesting an alternative gas![frustration]

MO49 Plus is available from Dupont distributors at retail cost of Rs 350 per can of 340 gms.

Regards,
Hi Kyalla, can you brief us more about filling the MO49+ gas? Do we have to flush the system with nitrogen or just replace the gas instead of R12? How about the cooling effect since the change?

Hi Ashish Gowda, Inuyasha,

Did you find any MO49+ gas filling station in Bangalore. Please let know. I have a Maruti Zen (2000 model) which had R12 and needs top up/refilling.

Regards,
Archana

Hello Archana,

I had contacted "Aditya Car AC service centre" on Rajkumar Road for MO49+ (R437a), they said they have it in stock. I haven't put it in my vehicle yet.
I hope it helps ^_^

Hi Inuyasha,

Thank you so much for information! It was very useful. Aditya gas service station has a branch in J P Nagar as well. I filled in the gas 2 weeks back and AC is running good so far. Mr Vinod (owner of this branch) told me that the gas is down to just some 20%. Took me 1400 INR for a complete topup.

Only catch is - I hope he really filled gas upto 100%. I asked him repeatedly for how could I check that but dint get any welcome response on this. He told that I will have to topup every 6 months or so which will cost me 650 INR.

Always Keep Smiling,
Archana :)

Top Bottom