Reduction in Alto's Mileage

Thread Starter #1
I have noticed a reduction in my alto (2010) fuel efficiency figures from about 18 to as low as 13/14 kmpl. I have recently shifted so I have a daily drive of 25 kms to work (80 perc of it being highway). my car has been serviced properly throughout and has only 24000 on the odo. my friend says I drive too fast always touching 120+ on the way to office, he says that my fuel economy has suffered due to drivining fast. Can driving fast cause fuel economy to reduce even if the speed is constantly being maintained?

I am driving my car in economy mode. 40-60 kilometer is my speed. I got 12.5 kmpl last time with ac, bit disappointed but I thought its due to my Tyre. badly need a change and update the mileage. or any other issues?

@ rakeshkn,
Check your spark plugs and air filter and do check all your four wheels are smoothly rolling.
while driving make sure you give a gentle acceleration and to take off your leg from the clutch pedal.

@bullrun87
If you reach 120kmph on highways with a moderate/gentle acceleration on the fifth gear
and stabilize that speed with the same acceleration then i don't think you will loose much mileage.
But if you need the recommended mileage its better you drive slow.

Thread Starter #7
thanks guys, Its just that when I find an empty highway its hard to keep your foot off the pedal :) . I will try to drive more slowly now to see if the FE is affected.
@rakeskn- Something is wrong . If you are driving at constant speeds of 40-60 in 4/5th gear you should be getting much higher than 12/13.
Did the FE drop recently ?
how old is your vehicle ?
how old are your tires?

Last edited:
yes my mileage dropped recently. How much i could expect with ac?. my car has been 5 years old and lyres nearly completed 41k

@ rakeshkn,
and
@bullrun87

1. Please maintain optimum tyre pressure (as recommended in the manual)
2. Please maintain speed of 40-60 in the city and 70-80 in the highways
3. Check the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs are clean

Presuming both are Alto 800 CC engines the mileage you should get is around 16+ in city and 18+ in highway.

Cheers,
Anshuman

is it ? I though 14kmpl is the mileage with ac. Once I got 24 kmpl without ac on the highway run to Thrissur to Trivandrum [drive]

I sold off my alto when it started this behavior, my case was even worse. I used to get avg of 8-9kmpl in city, it mostly ran in city.
I lived with it for a year and tried all possible solutions, even went for an engine ovehaul even though car had only touched 60k kms.
Then I bought a nano for city abuse, and it too gives a max 15 kmpl.

Dont go fo engine overhaul etc. just do basic servicing such as air filter cleaning spark plugs, fuel filter etc and drive sedately. Though i never learnt that way. :mad:

he says that my fuel economy has suffered due to drivining fast. Can driving fast cause fuel economy to reduce even if the speed is constantly being maintained?
Please read this:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/two-wheels/5740-one-only-dilip-bam-2.html

Top Bottom