HID Kits and Battery Drain - HELP!

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys, I recently installed two HID kits(pairs i.e 4 HIDs) in my car. Today I switched them on and off continuously while the engine was off (Actually I's observing the light throw, intensity,etc). After repeating the process two three times, I tried to crank the engine but to my disappointment IT DIDN'T! [confused]Plus all the electrical gadgets failed[frustration]
Is it like the car's battery is down due to the HIDs?[confused]
Please Help!

Last edited:
Re: HID kits and battery drain- HELP!

Yes,I got these fancy JBL subs in my car(city) and within 10 mins of music the battery died. Also if you were listening to music in your car before testing them,then you might have drained it. You have to be very careful now.

Thread Starter #3

Although I wasn't listening to music but I guess I overused the hids. Will be very careful from now on buddy.

But I thought that these HIDs are more energy efficient as compared to halogen ones, that's what the Philips salesman told me.

zengetz

Suspended

Today I switched them on and off continuously while the engine was off
You answered your own question. What do you expect ? Next time keep your engine on when you run your electricals.
BTW - Nice looking set of lights :)

What is the make of those projectors ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Yes that's true. I too was of the same opinion just few hours before. Researched a bit about it. You know actually this is true. Hids are energy efficient no doubt but the thing is that the energy they require at the time of starting is very large. after they start, they use a constant but lesser energy. correct me if i'm wrong.

Thread Starter #7

Zengetz, thanks man. Don't exactly remember. I guess it was xenon.

You're right, when HID are starting they consume aprox 6amps per ballast (older HID may consume even 10amps) and with 4 ballast installed turned on at once they represent ~300 watts, after the light is stabilized they consume only 3.2amps constant per ballast.

BUT a normal size battery (~55Ah) on good condition must be capable of support that amount of energy draw for about 1 hours at least (and with 4 HIDs on without restarting at least 2 hours) so I suggest you to check your battery state for avoiding suprises ;)

@Arsi7: HIDs EAT up battery. HIDs are recommended only of more than 80% of your driving is during a CONSIDERABLE time of the day.

Get your battery recharged and dont try this stunt again.

Thread Starter #10
thanks all, finally jump started the car and charged the battery. Rest, the car's fine now! Thanks guys for help![:)]

Just a note the problem will reoccur if you dont drive the car too much, you are taking out more energy than storing them in the batteries - also remember cranking an engine takes good battery power too(starting current funda!) - just make sure you drive a good distance(to get your battery to its optimal zone) and use the lights only when the engine is on!

Nice lights btw!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Just a note the problem will reoccur if you dont drive the car too much, you are taking out more energy than storing them in the batteries - also remember cranking an engine takes good battery power too(starting current funda!) - just make sure you drive a good distance(to get your battery to its optimal zone) and use the lights only when the engine is on!

Nice lights btw!

thanks Iron Rock. From now on, will use the lights only when the engine is on. One question please. Does this mean these lights take up more power than bass tubes and amps? (since i've one installed in my Santro and i used to listen to music for a long time even when the engine was off but never had battery problems[confused])

thanks Iron Rock. From now on, will use the lights only when the engine is on. One question please. Does this mean these lights take up more power than bass tubes and amps? (since i've one installed in my Santro and i used to listen to music for a long time even when the engine was off but never had battery problems[confused])
You bet they do.

Thread Starter #15
sukanta, Will consider that point too. Have to service my car after few days. Will tell the ford guys about this for sure.

Top Bottom