Fiat Linea Front Suspension Noise Solution

Thread Starter #1
My 2009 Linea MJD Emotion covered 54k km. From 40k km I could hear some abnormal noise from the Front LH Suspension when ever I drive over road patches or small potholes. Magnitude started increasing day-by-day.

During 45k service we suspected Link Rod being the culprit and changed both LH & RH link rods. Noise reduced a bit.
In 50k km noise started again. I suspected the elastic pads, bit could not open the suspension for past 2 months as I was mostly out of station or bundled with heavy work.

Last weekend taken the car to my regular mechanic and removed the LH strut assembly.
On removing we found that the strut to body mounting hole dia is bit larger than required.

Explored the whole garage and found some plastic washers (mechanic said it is used in some car gear lever mounting or gear shift cable)
Inserted the washer in hole and its perfect. Grease packed the elastic pads, fitted back the assembly and went for a short TD in bad roads, to my surprise noise disappeared.[:D]

Total cost: 1200 INR (Including wheel alignment, water wash, interior cleaning, all fluid top-up, front LH brake cleaning, labor)

DSCN5293.jpg

DSCN5294.jpg

DSCN5295.jpg

Re: Linea Front Suspension Noise & Solution

Wow! All the above jobs for just 1,200!! Its a steal [clap]Good to know that issue has been sorted out! Thanks for sharing the details

OMG who would have thought Fiat doesn't have money to put Rs.10 plastic washers on a 9L rupee car. Height of negligence.

Thread Starter #4
OMG who would have thought Fiat doesn't have money to put Rs.10 plastic washers on a 9L rupee car. Height of negligence.
I doubt some other reason. May be during Linea development stage they might have started with a thicket studs in Strut mount and later they switched to the current ones without changing the body hole dimension (may be[roll])

Even if they started using thinner struts, they should have done it properly i.e. adding washers or,
I guess some negligent worker might have forgot to put washers in your car.

Thread Starter #6
Bad Update:
Noise reappeared [cry]

Yet to figure out the cause. Will keep this thread updated once I find the root cause / solution.

The washers you fixed are plastic ones and they may not take much load and given away. try good quality metal washers next time.

Thread Starter #10
The washers you fixed are plastic ones and they may not take much load and given away. try good quality metal washers next time.
Intentionally used a plastic washer. I wanted to add a 'damper' rather than a 'washer'. I doubt the noise recurrence should not be because of the washer. Strut top mounts were at the end of life. Should check the condition now.

Top Bottom