Engine Oil Level Dropping Down in Fiesta Classic

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

i am using a 2011 Ford Fiesta classic TDCi. During my last service, i noticed that the engine oil level is dropping down to some 30-40% on every 10000 kms. I was told by the service advisor that its quite normal dropping the engine oil level for diesel engines. Is that true? If so, what should be the ratio of level dropping down on every 5000kms.

Hi,

i am using a 2011 Ford Fiesta classic TDCi. During my last service, i noticed that the engine oil level is dropping down to some 30-40% on every 10000 kms. I was told by the service advisor that its quite normal dropping the engine oil level for diesel engines. Is that true? If so, what should be the ratio of level dropping down on every 5000kms.
I believe you mean 1000 kilometers.
What is the mileage of the car? Do you notice any drop in performance as in fuel economy, power, acceleration?
If the oil level is dropping by 30 to 40% in a mere 1,000 kilometers, you ought to get the engine's oil circulation system thoroughly checked. Either the turbo is at fault or piston rings have gone kaput. Have you checked the exhaust for smoke?
Do you notice any oil leakages where the car is parked?

Thread Starter #3
I believe you mean 1000 kilometers.
What is the mileage of the car? Do you notice any drop in performance as in fuel economy, power, acceleration?
If the oil level is dropping by 30 to 40% in a mere 1,000 kilometers, you ought to get the engine's oil circulation system thoroughly checked. Either the turbo is at fault or piston rings have gone kaput. Have you checked the exhaust for smoke?
Do you notice any oil leakages where the car is parked?
Hi, i dont find any oil leakage in the engine compartment. There is no smoke from the exhaust on normal driving except footing/turbo. I am getting an average of 15-16kms on city drive and around 19-20 on highways. But i have noticed a 20-30% of engine oil level dropping down on clocking 8700kms after my service second service.

Sandeep, I doubt how you are checking the oil level make sure that car has to be parked on flat platform and the oil level had to be checked before stating the engine advisable at morning before the first starting with the help of the engine oil dip stick for a minimum of two times continue sly cleaning the oil on the dip stick with a cloth and dipping.

Check the hood from inside too for any spray of oil on it.If so,remove the dip stick and find out if the oil sprays through the slit of the dip stick on high Rpm while accelerating.

There are many reports of problems on the ford engine after 75000kms ,hope your cars kms are below 75000kms.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hi Alex, I check the oil level during the morning hours, before i crank the engine, on a flat platform. But my question is; why the oil level drops down to 25-30% on every 10K kms. I was told by the service adisor that its very normal for a diesel engine to consume oil level of this extend. My car has clocked only 24K kms.

Hi Alex, I check the oil level during the morning hours, before i crank the engine, on a flat platform. But my question is; why the oil level drops down to 25-30% on every 10K kms. I was told by the service adisor that its very normal for a diesel engine to consume oil level of this extend. My car has clocked only 24K kms.
It is not normal.The engine have some probs.
Did you check the hood from inside?is there any oil spray?

Last edited:
Sorry by the doubt, but diesel engine doesn't consume oil normally? at least on petrol engines is acceptable a consumption of 100-200 ml between engine oil changes (10k km), and in the dipstick of oil level that can even be about 50-60% of its length. Of course if it hasn't blue smoke by the exhaust.. =S

If we use a Fully synthetic oil on a good condition engine and if we check after the recommended km's the consumption of oil is very near to zero.
On a semi synthetic oil on good condition engine it is below 5%.
And on ordinary oil which the local workshop's use it will be 10%.
This is due to vaporization on high temperature.

Source: From a reliable friend who runs a workshop for 23 years.

If it is 30%,and if you are not finding a leak then the engine is the culprit.

It will show no signs normally other than fumes on high Rpm or on a sudden throttle.

Top Bottom