Folks, I discovered something today.....that Honda City has a Diagnostics mode for the instrument cluster. I knew about the diagnostics mode for the audio system but this was something new. I happened to see a Honda service exec do this and learned from him. Here are the steps:-
1. Insert the key (Don't turn it ON yet).
2. Press and hold the trip meter reset key. (Do not release till step 6).
3. Turn the park light on.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
5. Turn the park light off, on, then off.
6. Release the trip meter reset key and press three times. (To be done within 3 secs)
7. Gauges do a full salute and all dash lights (except turn signals) do a "self-test."
8. After this, gauges reset and all lights remain ON.
9. Push the trip meter reset key to test again.
10. To end test, switch off the ignition.
The audio system diagnostics are done like this:-
1. Press 'Up' (also marked with return sign) , 'Down' (Marked with Play) and the green audio system Power Button simultaneously. The display changes to DIAG. You are now in Diagnostics mode.
From DIAG mode, press Next (ie Right of Vol knob) and the display changes to VSP 0. The number following VSP indicates the speed in km/h in digits.
From DIAG mode, if you press the previous key (ie left of volume knob), all indicators including all the captions on the display light up.
From DIAG, if you press MENU, display shows "SW OFF". Now, when you press each key on the audio system, the display shows the key that is pressed.
To turn off DIAG mode, use power button to turn OFF the audio system and then turn ot
back on the normal way. Remember, music wont play when the system is in DIAG mode.
So, that's a self test to see of all audio system functionality is OK.
I tried searching the forum to see if this was posted earlier but couldn't find it (though I do remember reading about the audio system diagnostics somewhere earlier, but can't trace it).
MODS: If this is a duplication, please feel free to merge/ delete this thread.