Honda City Diagnostics

Thread Starter #1
Folks, I discovered something today.....that Honda City has a Diagnostics mode for the instrument cluster. I knew about the diagnostics mode for the audio system but this was something new. I happened to see a Honda service exec do this and learned from him. Here are the steps:-

1. Insert the key (Don't turn it ON yet).
2. Press and hold the trip meter reset key. (Do not release till step 6).
3. Turn the park light on.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
5. Turn the park light off, on, then off.
6. Release the trip meter reset key and press three times. (To be done within 3 secs)
7. Gauges do a full salute and all dash lights (except turn signals) do a "self-test."
8. After this, gauges reset and all lights remain ON.
9. Push the trip meter reset key to test again.
10. To end test, switch off the ignition.

The audio system diagnostics are done like this:-
1. Press 'Up' (also marked with return sign) , 'Down' (Marked with Play) and the green audio system Power Button simultaneously. The display changes to DIAG. You are now in Diagnostics mode.
From DIAG mode, press Next (ie Right of Vol knob) and the display changes to VSP 0. The number following VSP indicates the speed in km/h in digits.
From DIAG mode, if you press the previous key (ie left of volume knob), all indicators including all the captions on the display light up.
From DIAG, if you press MENU, display shows "SW OFF". Now, when you press each key on the audio system, the display shows the key that is pressed.
To turn off DIAG mode, use power button to turn OFF the audio system and then turn ot back on the normal way. Remember, music wont play when the system is in DIAG mode.

So, that's a self test to see of all audio system functionality is OK.
I tried searching the forum to see if this was posted earlier but couldn't find it (though I do remember reading about the audio system diagnostics somewhere earlier, but can't trace it).
MODS: If this is a duplication, please feel free to merge/ delete this thread.

Thread Starter #3
These mechanisms are called I-BIT or Initiated Built In Tests. They help you test your systems (Gauges, light indications etc.) for serviceability. For example, I saw some light indications on the instrument cluster which does not illuminate in normal operations (not even in the pre-start period). Now, if this indication is faulty, you will never come to know its serviceability status. But using these diagnostics once in a while, I'll know "AAALL IS WELL!!" [;)]. Needless to say, they are a lot more useful to service engineers during fault rectification.

That is also the idea which is employed in some gauges where the needles run through the entire display range when powered ON (My Pulsar 180 tacho does that). That is called S-BIT (Self Built In Tests) or POST (Power On Self Test). The same is what your computer BIOS does, cycling through your RAM when your turn it ON.

However, I am not sure what one would do with speed display tapped from your ECU on your audio system, though??[confused]

Thread Starter #5
thanks for the info, will try on my brio :)
I believe this works on Civic (though I haven't seen it personally). Civic owners can confirm that. Do update if this works on the Brio.
Can someone also try it out on a Jazz and Accord and update, please?

Thread Starter #7
Right, that's an input! I have tried it on the present version of City (ANHC) and it works. Not sure about the previous versions. Its also possible that the provision exists but the sequence of actions to trigger it may be different. Perhaps you can try having a word with the service guys at Honda on your next visit and check if such provision exists in City Vtec (NHC) also.

[:)]Rightly said. Maybe it does exist, but with different combinations. Will surely ask the service guys, the next car checkup and post the combination/ method for this model of the City

Top Bottom