My Indigo TDi is in for an overhaul. The job will be done today and tomorrow.
The jobs will be done at two levels, engine and turbo. Engine work :
1. Piston rings change.
2. Head Gasket replacement.
3. Oil circulation will be checked and leaks, faulty valves will be changed.
Apart from the above 3, what other things should be checked? Excess oil consumption, blueish black smoke, loss of power were the typical bad rings symptoms I was experiencing. Another weird experience was very very low fuel economy in city and good economy (17-18) on the highways. Turbo work :
I am getting the job done from a mechanic, who is reputed and trusted for the job and is a Tata-Mahindra diesel expert. According to him only rings change and head job is required, and the engine will easily do another 50-60 thousand kilometers.
Turbo will be opened. 2 days back while cleaning the air filter, the connector pipe had some oil. Mechanic then said that the turbo is damaged. He suggested the following : Cost break up :
1. Take it out and get it repaired from Bosch, Aurangabad at a cost of Rs 2800/-. Bosch will repair it, only if it is repairable.
2. Change it straight away at a cost in the range of Rs 6500/- to 9000/-
3. Yesterday he said, if the oil in air filter and turbo connector may be due to blow-by, he will inspect, and if not required, no need to repair or change the turbo.
It will be good to state that the 2 minute idle before shutting off the engine and after turning on the engine rule was strictly followed all the 6 years, and the air filter was also cleaned / replaced as per manual recommended durations.
Mechanic quoted engine job
at Rs 11000/-. On my inquiry of parts price,
Piston rings - 1500/- (Tata Original)
Head gasket - 1000/- (Tata Original)
Engine Oil and filter - 1100/- (Valvoline 15 w40, Purolator filter)
So, the rest should be labor. Turbo work
Turbo repair - 2800/-
New turbo - 6500/- to 9000/- My queries :
1. Whether the above mentioned oil (grade) was not good for the turbo?
2. Is there a 20 w50 grade oil available with any brand?
3. Which turbo to buy in case a new one is required? The original was a Garret piece.