High Fuel Consumption in Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
My Maruti 800 (MPFI) which was bought few weeks back, done 46,000 km.
Last week I replaced petrol filter, air filter, spark plugs and added "WURTH" injector cleaner to the fuel tank.

After running more than 100km's I noticed the fuel consumption is as low as 12.5 km per liter, without A/C. I thought it would be 20 km per liter.

Why the fuel consumption is so high?

Also please tell me how often I should replaced the lower arm and the tie rod ends?

The fuel consumption mostly depend on the driving style.
If you are driving in heavy traffic condition, this mileage is average.
Need to check the petrol quality etc.
But if this mileage you are getting in the highway, it is a matter of concern.

Lower arm and tie rod I think you should not change very often. They will show the sign of aging when it is required to change. Sign could be your steering will be very hard, there will be "tak tak tak" sound when taking any turn.

Thread Starter #3
The car I used earlier was a Maruti 800, Carb, 1996 model. The fuel consumption was nearly 15km/liter (city) and 20 km/liter on highway both without A/C. I drive at an average speed.

Is it necessary to do a MPFI tuning connected to a computer?

Please check your clutch, if it is time for the clutch to be replaced then your mileage will drop for sure and make sure your left leg to be placed on the platform and not on the clutch padal while driving.
And check if your wheels are free and none are jammed,get them cleaned anyways.

The milege depends on how the engine was used so far.If the previous owner has not taken care, the figures tend to be poor.

I would suggest, if you have not already.Change the fluids and flush the engine.Change all the filters and replace the spark plugs.

If you know anyplace that cleans the injectors.Remove then injectors and get them serviced.Check your fuel pump too.I think when you start the the car for the first time, you have to start it without using the accelerator isnt it.Make sure you do just that.It is not like the carb 800 where you need to use the accelerator before cranking.

In case of a worn clutch the car won't pull in higher gears.If that is the issue then change the clutch place, pressure plate and release bearing too.

Use a throttle body cleaner and spray the throttle body too.

The wurth injector cleaner is good, but if you want thorough cleaning you need to service the injectors.

Thread Starter #9
Please check your clutch, if it is time for the clutch to be replaced then your mileage will drop for sure and make sure your left leg to be placed on the platform and not on the clutch padal while driving.
And check if your wheels are free and none are jammed,get them cleaned anyways.
Clutch plate seems worned out. I adjusted the clutch to a comfortable level, but now there is a large play.
I'm planning to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate & the bearing soon. Is it necesssary to replace all these parts?

Thread Starter #11
The milege depends on how the engine was used so far.If the previous owner has not taken care, the figures tend to be poor.

I would suggest, if you have not already.Change the fluids and flush the engine.Change all the filters and replace the spark plugs.

If you know anyplace that cleans the injectors.Remove then injectors and get them serviced.Check your fuel pump too.I think when you start the the car for the first time, you have to start it without using the accelerator isnt it.Make sure you do just that.It is not like the carb 800 where you need to use the accelerator before cranking.

In case of a worn clutch the car won't pull in higher gears.If that is the issue then change the clutch place, pressure plate and release bearing too.

Use a throttle body cleaner and spray the throttle body too.

The wurth injector cleaner is good, but if you want thorough cleaning you need to service the injectors.
The previous owner has changed only the engine oil + oil filter during each service. I replaced gear oil, petrol filter, air filter and spark plugs.

I do not accelerate the engine when starting the engine. I just crank the engine for 2-3 sec. Hope petrol pump is fine.

I tried to check the timing but at idle, the reading varies. Very difficult to read the scale. I could see a mark, a line, with the number "2" above it. What does it mean? But I managed to set to 7 deg. in my Maruti carb.

The RPM seems higher than 900 at idle without A/C.

Clutch plate worned out. A lady was the previous owner.

I have no experience in Flushing an engine. Does it cost much?

Yes it is necessary to replace, the clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing together else it wont help you get the full benefits of your new clutch as all these components work together.Also check your fly wheel and make sure the teeth on the flywheel arent work out.If they are change that as well.

Thread Starter #14
Yes it is necessary to replace, the clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing together else it wont help you get the full benefits of your new clutch as all these components work together.Also check your fly wheel and make sure the teeth on the flywheel arent work out.If they are change that as well.
I shall check the flywheel. Thanks Jarpickle.

Top Bottom