Gear Oil - Right Choice?

Thread Starter #1
I've an Indigo (TDI) which has 1.4 Lac Kilometers on the oDo. Yesterday, I changed the gear oil, brake fluid and Power steering fluid.

The manual mentions of changing the gear oil after 20,000 kilometers. However, since I had not changed it in over 2 years, I thought it would be better to change. Manual states HPCL EP 80 and Castrol Extreme Pressure 80 as recommended gear oil.
I bought and put Shell Spirax S2 G 90. Today I had difficulty in engaging 2nd gear from 1st. I did not have any gear slotting issues before this oil change.

What could be the reason? Did I make a mistake in choosing gear oil?

Thread Starter #2
Update :
Today I turned on the ignition and the 'Check engine' light did not turn on, neither did the glow plugs did not turn on which they should for 5-6 seconds.
Then I fired up the engine and !! it sounded like a tractor!!! Then I drove it and within 10 minutes the temperature needle reached the red zone and there was a burning smell.
Gear oil, Power steering fluid, brake fluid were changed and engine oil was topped up. Coolant was also full. What could be the problem? Prior to these oil changes, all was fine.

Blown out head gasket, now I think this was a coincidence that it was blown at the same time when you replenished all the liquids of your car.A trip to the service center will definately tell you something.

Update :
Today I turned on the ignition and the 'Check engine' light did not turn on, neither did the glow plugs did not turn on which they should for 5-6 seconds.
Then I fired up the engine and !! it sounded like a tractor!!! Then I drove it and within 10 minutes the temperature needle reached the red zone and there was a burning smell.
Gear oil, Power steering fluid, brake fluid were changed and engine oil was topped up. Coolant was also full. What could be the problem? Prior to these oil changes, all was fine.
Swapnil im assuming there is something gone amiss at the service itself, usually if the workshop guy has not tightened the engine oil nut, forgot to tighten something like that

Goto him and assertively ask him wats all this problem after just 24 hours of service, he will first hand understand that he only has done something amiss

Do not accept liabilty with reasons like - Why did you drive inspite of getting sounds and high engine temperatures

Last edited:
The gear slotting problem is due to the thicker oil.Going with 90 grade instead of 80 grade.

If everything is correct then the "CHECK ENGINE"light will not glow.If you have not changed any oil in the last 2 years.Why did you only top up the engine oil.It is highly recommended that you flush the engine and change the oil to fresh oil.

Do the same with your radiator, flush it and add new coolant.

If you are having problems with changing gear, I suggest you change to the recommended Grade 80 oil.

If the head gasket is gone, the coolant with have engine oil in it and the engine oil will have become milky in color.If that is not the case, then flush the engine and get a compression test done before you fill the new oil.

Thread Starter #7
Swapnil im assuming there is something gone amiss at the service itself, usually if the workshop guy has not tightened the engine oil nut, forgot to tighten something like that

Goto him and assertively ask him wats all this problem after just 24 hours of service, he will first hand understand that he only has done something amiss

Do not accept liabilty with reasons like - Why did you drive inspite of getting sounds and high engine temperatures
An update :
I called the mechanic at home. Cranked the engine and it sounded like a Sumo. Was emitting too much of black smoke. Still we drove it to the workshop. Half way through, and the engine became hot, gauge crossed the red mark, coolant was spilled out and smoke was coming from the bay. On inspection 2 things became clear :

1. Due to some fault in electrical, the coolant was being spilled out and temperature was rising.
2. Turbo has failed and hence was emitting black smoke profusely.

As such my car is due for an engine overhaul. Piston rings change and head work + turbo rebuild is being quoted at 14,000, which I am going ahead with.

The gear slotting problem is due to the thicker oil.Going with 90 grade instead of 80 grade.

If everything is correct then the "CHECK ENGINE"light will not glow.If you have not changed any oil in the last 2 years.Why did you only top up the engine oil.It is highly recommended that you flush the engine and change the oil to fresh oil.

Do the same with your radiator, flush it and add new coolant.

If you are having problems with changing gear, I suggest you change to the recommended Grade 80 oil.

If the head gasket is gone, the coolant with have engine oil in it and the engine oil will have become milky in color.If that is not the case, then flush the engine and get a compression test done before you fill the new oil.
On turning the ignition on, if the 'Check engine' light does not glow and if the glow plug do not glow, then something is wrong.
I change engine oil after every 6000 kilometers. It was the gear oil and power steering oil that I had not changed in 2 years.

Mods, please merge my 2 back to back posts, as I am not yet fully conversant with the Multiquote function.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the cost for the new turbo?If that is not as much get it changed.It will work longer than the refurbed one.

I'd say if you can afford to buy a new one use a new one and use the old one as a back up that you can get refurbed at any time.Do find the price from a tata spares dealer, never take the word of a mech on prices.They always quote higher.Check with the parts store.

Thread Starter #11
I'd say if you can afford to buy a new one use a new one and use the old one as a back up that you can get refurbed at any time.Do find the price from a tata spares dealer, never take the word of a mech on prices.They always quote higher.Check with the parts store.
Yes. Today I am visiting the TASS on this. I am keen on keeping the car as I do not see a good resale value.
Question : Will TASS people allow me to be present in the workshop for a whole day, so that I can ensure that all work is done before my eyes?

Sorry for the late reply.Waiting there shouldn't be a problem.They do ask over enthusiastic members to wait in the owners lounge though.

Was the work completed?

Sudeep they seem out of order because two threads were merged here.They are not off topic.All the problems were posted by the thread starter.Instead the name of the thread should be changed to:

Gear Oil Selection and Turbo Problem in Indigo.

Top Bottom