First Gear Slotting!! Issue or Design?

Thread Starter #1
I have been experiencing this situation many times.
When I am at speed of more than say 30KMPH (not sure if this is the minimum) and I try to slot the car in first gear direclty it takes efforts and when car is on higher speed and try to slot into first gear, it does not.

So the question here:

1. Is there any issue with my gear box?
  2. It is meant to be that where system does not allow to slot gear when car speed is above some specified limit?

My purpose for slotting first gear at higher speed is none, but I am curious to know the reason for 1st gear not getting slotted properly and completely both.

AMG

Suspended
Re: First gear slotting!!! Issue or Design?

Its a design element. Its that way to prevent the engine from over-revving.

Similarly, when you try to go from 5th into Reverse, it wont happen.

Thread Starter #3

Its a design element. Its that way to prevent the engine from over-revving.

Similarly, when you try to go from 5th into Reverse, it wont happen.
Ohhh. I thought so. My assumption was right, but just wanted to confirm the same. Thanks a lot AMG. [:D]

Did you try the braking done by shifting from higher to lower? It might damage the gear box..dont do it :D

Thread Starter #5

Did you try the braking done by shifting from higher to lower? It might damage the gear box..dont do it :D
No nothing like that, Actually By mistake instead of slotting 3rd gear I tried slotting 1st gear and realized this. So just wanted to confirm . [:D]

from 30KMPH if you try to shift to 1st gear, it will definitely break the gear box. You should go to 1st gear if the vehicle is less than 5 KMPH,even 10KMPH can also damage your car.
For back gear, car manufacturer also mentioned in the manual that, if you are going forward and you need to reverse the car, then put the gear to neutral and then wait for 3 sec before slotting the reverse gear.

First gear in a vehicle is meant only to push the vehicle forward from a stationary position.....Forceful shifting in 1st when vehicle is in motion may damage your gearbox.It is advisable to shift only to 2nd gear when vehicle is in motion at speeds below 30 km/h

Guys, Dharmesh clearly said that it happened as an accident while shifting his gears and nothing was done intentionally, and while doing so he raised a question to understand his query about the hard shift.
I guess you got it dharmesh right about the slot, its done by all manufacturers to prevent damaging the gearbox, 1st is to move the car from stationery and try not to repeat that on higher speeds even by accident as its dangerous for your gearbox if doin so.

It is safe to shift your gear to third from forth,( if you get time )while braking.It wont do any damage to the gear box, you would have noticed the rally drivers do.but shifting gear to first at 30kmph may cause damage.

Top Bottom