Magnets On the Oil Filter.

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I am on mobil 1 on my Honda city ZX VTEC.Normally I change my engine oil by 7.5k kms.I am in the habit of changing only the oil filter some where in the mid way mark(3.5k kms) and then topping up with the engine oil.One of the automobile engineers told me of attaching strong magnets or rather very strong magnets to the oil filter and he says it does wonders to the engine oil by attracting all the fine metal particles back in the filter itself and the engine oil remains very fresh and impurity free.It substantially increases the engine oil life.Has some body come across such a thing.Request you to share your valuable ideas.

I guess metal shillings get mixed with the engine oil only during the initial days of any car's run. After that the piston smooths out the cylinders for it's exact shape, size and movement. I might me wrong though.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #3
Thx for u reply.But any ways metal against the metal and typically during morning starts will produce some fine bur.I am gonna try this magnets out lets c.

Thread Starter #7
Hey Guys,
I managed to procure some really strong pieces of magnets.Planning to make a nice wrap around the oil filter.Probably this exercse will be done this week end.will keep u all posted.

Simple logic, if your cars engine is making metal shavings with every oil change, you might need to look at getting a thicker grade oil to avoid shavings.
If its leaving shavings behind, usually means the oil you have in there is too thin to be able to protect/lubricate all the parts.

Thread Starter #11
@recycle:My car is not leaving any metal shavings.This is only something to experiment for me and chalk down difference in performance if any.Moreover I thought its the cheapest thing to do hence went for it.

@cotterpin:Any new updates, where and how are you going to attach the magnets on the oil filter.Will the be on the outside or on the inside?

Please keep us posted.

@recycle-art:Using thicker oil if there is friction is not a solution.The engine has oil seals if you keep adding thicker oil the oil seals will leak due to the added pressure.It can also cause the head gasket to fail too.The thicker oil will only work is the engine operates at peak temp from the get go.If the engine takes time to warm up the thicker oil will be detrimental on cold starts as it wont flow properly either.

Thread Starter #13
Hi All,
Yes I have attached the rectangular pieces of magnets,precisely five pieces on the outer surface of the oil filter.I have driven the car for about 300kms there after.

These are my sincere observations.Some people may also call it sheer psychology:
I find the car a bit smooth and the pick up is also increased.The feeling to be precise is the same as you get whenever you change the oil.

Top Bottom