Reliability of Honda Engines

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends I am a proud owner of preworshipped NHC VTEC 2006 model for past two years and the odo closing in on 75k.I have heard and read volumes on Hondas bullet proof reliability and indestructability.I would love to hear your thoughts about Honda engines longevity and life.I intend to really preserve my piece of machinery for quite some time.I would love to have your first hand inputs and experiences regarding LIFE OF HONDA ENGINES.I expect to read reams f information from you.

Hi cotterpin,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

We too have a 2006 Honda City Idsi. It has completed 45k kms (i know its too less), and still strong. Never ever have i heard a rattling, forget the engine trouble.

Now coming to your query, i feel if you are determined to retain the car for some more time, then go ahead without any second thoughts. My dads colleague who purchased the car along with us has completed 90k kms without any major fuss.
The minor issues which occured were a result of accidents.

So go ahead, and enjoy the butter smooth i-Vtec[thumbsup].

Thread Starter #3
@Akash:Thanks for Honda quick response.Yes I wanna retain it for quite some time.Jus one correction its VTEC and not intelligent VTEC.Thx once gain...

Hi Cotterpin,
I have been owning an ANHC (IVTEC engine) for the last 4 months and have driven it for more than 5K kms without any problems whatsoever . Though this is hardly any number to conclude on the reliability of the car, the Honda reliability is legendary for sure. I know a couple of friends (an office colleague and one of my neighbour) who have been driving their NHC (VTEC) for more than 75K kms with hardly any problem. Hence go ahead and take care of your car and she will serve you for a long long time to come [:)]

I know of an 2000 OHC that was sold few months back with 1.8 lac on the ODO with no engine work done ever, clutch changed twice, suspension serviced twice, tyres changed 4 times. I guess it's remarkable.

freakdude.

Hi Cotterpin

The whole forum knows how Big a fan i am of the HONDAs back in India

No manufacturer comes close to their commitment and reliabilty - Period (And this comes from a person who was working with Tata Motors earlier)

VTEC technology is very advanced and IMO came to India ahead of its time when Indian manufacturers were struggling to even make decent niggle free and good looking Products [frustration]

Trust me HONDA is a truly global auto brand & rest assured that you are driving a piece of excellent Automotive Engineering (No cheap downgrades in Engines for the India specs) [clap]

Reliability and performance is something you should not worry about when driving a Honda and that too a Vtec. Vtec engine are one of the best ever made and are the ones behind Hondas success. Dont worry you will easily do a lac Km.

Thread Starter #10
Thanx guys for all u r responses,still expecting many more experiences of Honda freaks and their engine stories.

While it is a fact that Honda is known for manufacturing reliable petrol engines, technology has evolved a lot and many other manufacturers like Suzuki, Hyundai etc make equally reliable petrol engines. I drove a Hyundai Santro Xing for 6 years / 45000 km earlier and never had any engine related issue. The Hyundai technicians I spoke to told me that the car can go up to 1.5 lac km without any engine issue.

Bottom line is all modern day cars have reliable petrol engines. It would not be fair for me to comment on diesel engines as I have never owned/driven a diesel car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
ya I do agree the erstwhile auto companies are also making reliable petrol Motors.But I some how always feel that Honda is class apart.I happen to read on the net that there was one guy from the US who clocked 0ne million miles in his accord with no engine issues.Now guys thats stupendous.I am very much interested to know whats the maximum clocked kms for Honda in this forum.

Top Bottom