Electrical and Carb Problems on My Car

Thread Starter #1
my maruti 800 is behaving wierdly these days and here are the problems
earlier when my battery drained , i did bump started the car and since there was no battrery light comming on i drived it for around 10 km . i've noticed that the horn was making low sound . i thought horn was bad and neglected . but while returning to my house too he horn and indicators were dim . so thought of getting it checked at car electrical shop.so went there and heres the conversation

ME: the horn and other electricals are dim , please check them ( i had to request as it was closing time)
MECH: put the key in ignition and said the battery light is not comming , hence alternator is not charging the batterty
ME: but i've done 10km run and my car didnt stall in between and there was no battery light when engine is on
MECH: (checked and confirmed the same) connected the voltmeter and said that the voltage was around 10volts and recommended to change alternator
he also checked battery with a device which has a floating indicator and said one of the battery's cell is broken (in his words weak)
so i got the alternator changed and but even now some times the battery gets drained[frustration]. Got frustated and took it to mechanic ( another one) . what he did was , started the car by pushing it and then checked the reading with voltmeter these were readings at idle speed 13.44volts and after 10 min switching off engine , checked again 13 volts and again checked this time revving the engine 14 volts.
inspite of this today at cold start (after 2-3) attempts the battery drained,again bump start.
the other issue is when choke is fully closed (choke lever pulled to extreme) as shown in picture my car refuses to start even after attaining operating temperature i wonder why[confused]
and when i pulled the accelerator cable to check accelerator pump i noticed white fumes making their way out from carb and in second picture is that
secondary butterfly i might sound stupid :stupid:but please help

Attachments

regarding battery i think it is grounding .have done any electrical installation recently? like ICE etc?
and buddy i need to be frank about your carb is in pathetic condition get it checked and if you are taking your car to MASS tell them clearly to carb throughly because at some MASS the clean with carb spray only result no proper cleaning

Check if some wires are in contact with body which results in short circuit, do you have a central locking.. if yes try disconnecting it it also causes the battery to drain.

Also check the Head lamp relay/ wiring (after market).

As Mr.E suggested remove the carb and get it cleaned thoroughly..

Thread Starter #4
regarding battery i think it is grounding .have done any electrical installation recently? like ICE etc?
and buddy i need to be frank about your carb is in pathetic condition get it checked and if you are taking your car to MASS tell them clearly to carb throughly because at some MASS the clean with carb spray only result no proper cleaning
no not ice installed recently infact installed 10 yrs before.Regarding carb clean , i told MASS to clean it in previous service
Check if some wires are in contact with body which results in short circuit, do you have a central locking.. if yes try disconnecting it it also causes the battery to drain.

Also check the Head lamp relay/ wiring (after market).
no Varun560061 i dont have central locking and the headlights are stock and untouched till date except to replace fused bulb.
and one more problem , engine stalls when choke is used why ??

Last edited:
Well I cannot comment on the choke system, but connecting an ammeter to the battery will possibly tell if there is a leak. After connecting the ammeter (the mechanics have this) remove the key from ignition and note if any current is being drawn from the battery, if you have some background electricals (digital clock/alarm system) running you will see a minor current draw, but if its a major leak somewhere, the current drawn will be more. This is all in consideration about your explaination that the battery is dead if kept overnight.

For the battery problem, take it out and get it charged fully at a battery shop.If it is too weak to charge exchange it for a new battery.

Making the alternator charge a damaged/weak battery will reduce its effective life.

By the looks of it, your carb needs to be serviced.Use a carb cleaning spray directly on the carb or use cyclo max 44 or similar products that can be added to the fuel.

If your secondary butterfly is jammed, try removing the brass butterflies and replacing them with new ones.If you find only the secondary plate that is good too.There are two companies that make the secondary for the the carb,one is PACCO(Indian) and UCAL(Licensed by Mikuni).

Spray some WD40 on all the carb linkages and also on the throttle cables.

Also change your air filter.

Thread Starter #7
Well I cannot comment on the choke system, but connecting an ammeter to the battery will possibly tell if there is a leak. After connecting the ammeter (the mechanics have this) remove the key from ignition and note if any current is being drawn from the battery, if you have some background electricals (digital clock/alarm system) running you will see a minor current draw, but if its a major leak somewhere, the current drawn will be more. This is all in consideration about your explaination that the battery is dead if kept overnight.
well dont know the process but, i think he has checked like that by connecting it accross the battery terminals and it read about 13 volts.
and here's the battery report given by MASS during last service they connect a device which measures voltage , battery condition and engine cranking time.
the SA said that it is capable to detect any voltage leakage or ground issues.
does this device really detect short circuit because just after 300kms , i had to change the alternator . here by im attaching the report in pic

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
Making the alternator charge a damaged/weak battery will reduce its effective life.

does it damage the alternator or battery[thinking]. yes asked the MASS to do carb cleaning , i dont know what they did? air filter , fuel filter , spark plugs are new. engine stalls if choke is fully engaged. also please tell me if the part in second picture is of secondary butterfly. also it was not opening when choke was fully engaged

The secondary is at at the bottom portion, what you see is the primary butterfly.

The alternator will get damaged if it is made to charge a weak battery.

Just buy a carb cleaning spray and spray it on the carb while holding the throttle cable so that the engine keep running.Do this for 5 minutes, then turn off the car and spray the carb while using the throttle cable to open the primary butterfly a bit.Leave that car off for atleast 15 minutes.Then drive it for atleast 15-20 mins.

You can use a fuel system cleaner(make sure it is carb friendly) in addition to this.Add the contents as per the directions on the bottle.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
recently i went to a mechanic to whom i asked to check the alternator it is charging he disconnected it from the battery while engine is running and told that it is charging , unexpectedly i pressed the horn , it seemed to distort (sound cracks)[cry] . And when the alternator was connected to battery it sounded fine . Today i borrowed my friends battery(new one same amaron) which he purchased yesterday and to my surprise the horn cracked again , and that too randomly (2 times)[frustration] . It occurs only when car is running on alternator , surprised when it happened with battery connected . Can any one tell me why this happened?

If he disconnected the alternator from the battery, how can he check if it is charging?He just checked whether the battery was charged or not.If the horn was cracking with the alternator present then the alternator has not charged the battery and the battery has become weak.

How new battery was the battery and what car was it connected to?After a couple of cranks the battery does loose power that is why it becomes weak and needs the alternator to charge it.If the alternator was not present and you checked the horn on a weakened battery it will crack.

Thread Starter #12
If he disconnected the alternator from the battery, how can he check if it is charging?
he disconnected the wires going to the battery and says if the engine runs even if battery is disconnected , then alternator is fine (charging properly) it seems. i know it is raw method followed by local mechanics.

If the horn was cracking with the alternator present then the alternator has not charged the battery and the battery has become weak.
no sir, the wire comming from alternator was not connected at that time. While battery was being replaced unexpectedly i pressed horn.

How new battery was the battery and what car was it connected to?After a couple of cranks the battery does loose power that is why it becomes weak and needs the alternator to charge it.If the alternator was not present and you checked the horn on a weakened battery it will crack.
didnt get the first question. i just wanted to make sure if battery in my car is bad so that i can replace it under warranty . So ,i borrowed my friends new
battery( ofcourse m800 same as mine) who purchased day before yesterday and took my car to mechanic for checking.
he checked the battery with engine off it read 12 V , then asked to turn on the engine , first it read around 12.56 V then after few seconds it jumped to 13.66 V . So , on seeing different readings i asked him , how he could tell confidently that alternator is good . He , then disconnected the +tive & -tive connection of battery and said " if engine has not switched off when disconnected from battery ,then alternator is fine"
Now , then horn cracking issue occured twice once with battery disconnected and again while returning back to home[confused]

when the battery is new it should have 12.7V with engine recently turned off and with 24 hours after turning off the engine it should have at least 12.5V if below I suggest you replace it. If you battery has 12V with engine recently turned off (~30mins) it's almost dead

Top Bottom