Why a Scooter Returns Lesser Mileage than Geared Bikes?

Thread Starter #1
Can somebody give me an excellent technical insight as to why a scooter gives very less mileage as compared to bikes with gears and clutches?[frustration]

To understand this does not requireed higher technical knowledge.mainly 2 things.

1. Difference between the tires of scooter and bike
2. Automatic geared vehicles will have always less mileage than the geared vehicles.

Scooters have two stroke engines (mostly) while bikes have 4 stroke engines. If you compare honda eterno & bajaj legend (4 stroke engine) with bike you will hardly see any difference in mileage. And also two stroke engines produces more CO (carbon monoxide-Fuel burning is much higher) while in 4 stroke engines drunk lesser fuel with lesser pollution!!!

Two stroke engines- Engine (Pistons) completed one cyle in two stages (piston up & down).
Four stroke engines- Engine (Pistons) completed one cyle in 4 stages (piston up & down).

Regards,
Adi

Scooters have two stroke engines (mostly) while bikes have 4 stroke engines. If you compare honda eterno & bajaj legend (4 stroke engine) with bike you will hardly see any difference in mileage. And also two stroke engines produces more CO (carbon monoxide-Fuel burning is much higher) while in 4 stroke engines drunk lesser fuel with lesser pollution!!!

Two stroke engines- Engine (Pistons) completed one cyle in two stages (piston up & down).
Four stroke engines- Engine (Pistons) completed one cyle in 4 stages (piston up & down).

Regards,
Adi
i don't think, 2 stroke engines are allowed now.
all scooters are 4 stroke now.
the main problem is automatic gear box.

i don't think, 2 stroke engines are allowed now.
all scooters are 4 stroke now.
the main problem is automatic gear box.
Last production of two stroke engines is 1996, after that every thing under norms.

Automatic gears box are only comes in scooties (scooty-activa etc) not in scooters like bajaj legend & honda eterno (manual transmission). Yes automatic transmission gives lesser mileage in all cases (two , four & six wheelers).

Regards,
Aditaya

Scooters use a CVT transmission, not even a proper automatic too(anything with cogs) and hence this effects a large part of fuel economy also they hve smaller wheels.
Now as a result, the net RPM of their engine is always higher than a motorbike for the same speed(Example: Pulsar 150 does 60 at around 4.5k rpm but Access does at about 6k rpm) and hence FE is always lesser.

Dear trrazzz,
your doubt is a genuine one. but pls dont compare the "automatic" gear box of a scooter with the synchro box of a bike. the later is a positive drive without any slip. no wonder it give a good fuel average. on the other hand, the "automatic" in the scooters is actually no gear box in technical sense. it is actually but a centrifugal clutch. higher the rpm it catches more, and at low speeds, it slips more. the result is wasted power. remember the geared scooters of yore returning 55-60 with a two stroke engine?

All things being equal, you can blame the inefficiency of the automatic transmission (CVT), though manufacturers keep saying it is only about 10% difference, actually the loss is more like 30% - compare the motorbike with manual gear (honda CB Twister 100cc bike with same weight as Dio) with Dio(autogear with 100cc and same engine) and see the difference [Obviously, under similar driving conditions].

See SIAM mileage chart for DIO vs Twister. 56.6/85.7 = 33% difference
Same for Suzuki Access (Automatic) vs Zeus 60.4 / 78.9 = 24% diff

Obviously you cant trust SIAM's actual numbers, but it does show that automatic is very inefficient and that the manufacturers have done nothing to improve the efficiency of the CVT!

Though computer controlled (robotized manual) transmissions give as good or better mileage than manual transmissions, this will not come to India.

But recently AD which is aired on many channels where Akshay Kumar on behalf of Honda claims that from now on all Honda automatic scooters wil give FE figures of 60. Did they change Automatic transmission mehcanism with the better one ?

Just curious to understand, The same scooter giving 40 odd FE figures suddenly company claim it will give 60. [surprise]

But recently AD which is aired on many channels where Akshay Kumar on behalf of Honda claims that from now on all Honda automatic scooters wil give FE figures of 60. Did they change Automatic transmission mehcanism with the better one ?

Just curious to understand, The same scooter giving 40 odd FE figures suddenly company claim it will give 60. [surprise]
That is just some marketing gimmick claiming 55 kmpl using lighter body panels and streamlined design. No difference in engine/gearbox though. I own a Dio 2013.

^^ Sarav
What is the actual mileage you getting in your Dio now? Curious because i own an old model(2010) Dio. Not tested milage, but i think mine not giving more than 40km/ltr. If new one give around 60, then i thought of changing mine, though it has run only 15K Km/ltr.

Last edited:
^^ Sarav
What is the actual mileage you getting in your Dio now? Curious because i own an old model(2010) Dio. Not tested milage, but i think mine not giving more than 40km/ltr. If new one give around 60, then i thought of changing mine, though it has run only 15K Km/ltr.
Hi Releesh,
Sorry, i don't have answer to your query since the dio has run just 300 kms in more than 2 months. All i know is that it has been recently refilled to the brim. Expect similar running patterns for next few years since the normal running is nearly 4 kms per week or 10 kms per week only :stupid:

You can imagine of getting your bike in the 3rd gear(example) all the time from start to end.I bet you will get the FE of a scooter.Thats the reason.The scooter's engine get heavy strain during movements that the main reason

Its not only an Automatic scooter, also an automatic Car gives lesser FE than a geared one. Its very simple, as geared vehicle's efficiency is increased when we use it in appropriate gears w r t speed. So its FE is way better than an automatic car/scooter. Only advantage of automatic vehicles is their pick up.[clap]

Top Bottom