Fueling when Engine is On

Thread Starter #1
Hi, My Brother has a ford fiesta classic diesel and many times saw him fueling when the engine is running. whats the consequences of actions like that to car?

Cheers

I had read on many petrol pumps and other places that it can cause explosion or fire, since that petrol may be ignited. Not sure if that is the case in new-gen cars too.

Thread Starter #3
I think the chance of getting fire is almost none,isn't it?

The bikers are the most dangerous in this case in my view as even if they stop the engine when fueling,the engine could be red hot and it has more chance of petrol spills on the engine than a car or scooter.

Most probably nothing will happen.But, why you want to waste petrol by running the engine? if any problem in starting the engine because of poor battery then you can do fuelling while engine is running.Whether the engine is running or not, you should always be vary careful to avoid sparks and fumes inside petrol bunk,contact with petrol will cause huge fire and devastation,be careful.

Last edited:
Me tooo fuel my car with engine and AC on all times.
But ford service engineer told the same but he didnt specify the reason.

I think as long as the tank is not overfilled its ok. I too don't switch off the engine while filling. It is when the vapour builds up outside things go wrong. Avoid overfilling and spillage.

no reasons to specify as such, even I have the habit of not switching off the engine while refueling. Well if it's a risk factor, mobile phones should not used in fuel stations, but i have seen numerous petrol bunk employees speaking over mobile phones even while fueling.
Which is more dangerous? Using mobile phones or keeping the engine on while refueling.

no reasons to specify as such, even I have the habit of not switching off the engine while refueling. Well if it's a risk factor, mobile phones should not used in fuel stations, but i have seen numerous petrol bunk employees speaking over mobile phones even while fueling.
Which is more dangerous? Using mobile phones or keeping the engine on while refueling.
Ideally anything capable of producing a teeny weeny stray spark should not be around fossil fuels

Just when we are talking about dangers involved while filling petrol with engines on, Yes I shut of the engine while filling petrol. This is the practice I follow from my 800 Days.

Another thing happened once when I was filling petrol for my bike in a petrol filling station near my house.

I was filling petrol, and a auto came next to me. I was filling tank full and it was consuming some time and the auto wala was waiting. He has couple of passengers [They looks like uneducated]. One of the passenger was smoking and he was holding a BIDI [Kind of cigarette used here] which is also on. I was shocked and started screaming at that guy [both auto driver and passenger] as soon as I started, all public and petrol station guys also started shouting and the funniest part was the passenger started rubbing the lighted end at the floors of auto [Actually when you do like this, sparkles fly over] then I literally hit that guy and make him throw the BIDI at floor and using my foot I rubbed and switched it off.

Actually that day was scary day for me. The fuel station is located near a densed population and on a busy road.

Thread Starter #13
That was a scary incident.

But even if you have turned of your bike engine,what happens if a drop of petrol spills over it? especially when it is too hot? It catches fire?

That was a scary incident.

But even if you have turned of your bike engine,what happens if a drop of petrol spills over it? especially when it is too hot? It catches fire?
No i dont think any engine is hot enough to ignite a fire.
The reason I think why switching engine off is recommended is because by mistake if you hit the accelerator and the car moves while filling fuel,it will obviously cause a lot of damage to the Pump.

Second and the main reason is the static electricity. The static electricity difference between the cars body and the petrol vendors body can cause a static spark,when the engine is running especially.My city gives me a lot of those shocks when the engine is on.

Or the exhaust sometimes is very hot,enough to start a fire. Small drops are obviously many times dropped on the floor which can touch the exhaust. When you switch of the engine,with in minutes the cars exhausts temperature decreases.

Last edited:
i make it a point to step out of my car and supervise the petrol attendant. This also ensure i turn the engine off.

also helps since

1. my eye site not being so good, did he reset the meter to zero and i can see how much fuel did he add. less chance of any hanky panky.
2. i make the other attendant wash the front windscreen and other windows to my satisfaction.

Top Bottom