Why Reverse Gear is Not Synchronized in Swift?

Thread Starter #1
Why reverse gear is not scronised in maruti swift?
is it for money saving or any other specific reason??

Whenever i cold start my car and engage reverse gear there is rattling sound from my gear box what is the culprit behind it?

Whenever i cold start my car and engage reverse gear there is rattling sound from my gear box what is the culprit behind it?
Does your car moves in reverse and you get rattling sound?
Or car does not moves when reverse gear is engaged and you get rattling sound?

If the case is the later one then you are surely not engaging gear properly. Have happened to me few times in Punto as well. [;)]

may be i didnt understand the question :stupid: , but the reverse doesnt need synchronisation anyways as you would slot in the reverse gear when you are stationary as opposed to your forward gears.

The problem could be your clutch/transmission engagement somewhere, it could be many things including a broken tooth, alignment issues etc

Try shifting to reverse gear after slotting to first gear and without disengaging the clutch, i.e press clutch, shift to first and then keeping the clutch pressed shift to reverse

Why reverse gear is not scronised in maruti swift?
is it for money saving or any other specific reason??

Try engaging the gear first and start the engine with clutch,i have this problem even with my new ertiga sometimes.

Its certainly an issue but not just in swift, i have experienced this in Innova and safari too and too be honest its 90% due to faulty engaging of the reverse gear a deep clutch and a soft reverse push works all the time and it took some real fair experience to understand this [;)]

By the way when you are reluctant to change this habit and still face this issue the gear box gets beefed up for more problems which could inturn become a real reverse gear synchronization issue later

By the way when you are reluctant to change this habit and still face this issue the gear box gets beefed up for more problems which could inturn become a real reverse gear synchronization issue later
The reverse is "extra" here in this case then why should "synchronization issue " come here ?
A small car is not a forklift or crane where you shift reverse on the go..lol

The reverse is "extra" here in this case then why should "synchronization issue " come here ?
A small car is not a forklift or crane where you shift reverse on the go..lol
Hi Jay, when he means "synchronization issue " it actually means why he can't engage the reverse straight away and what i understand from your reply it means (where you shift reverse on the go)

yes i got your point, but what if i start the car which is parked overnight facing a very close wall

The next day morning when i take the car out i engage the reverse directly and it doesn't engage that is what he means here "synchronization issue " and not on the go [lol]

But whatever be the case when ever i start the car i engage the first and move a milli and then engage reverse as a strange belief so i never faced this problem

Improper slotting happens in my Wagor R too. It works like engaging any other gear first and then bringing to reverse, like fifth and then shifting to reverse.

But it should happen in old vehicles mostly, so we cannot generalize it in my opinion.

What I understand is while slotting to R gear
the thread starter hears the sound of gears grinding say "krrrrrrrrrrrrr" (due to lack of synchronization)
Or whining noise while moving reverse. (due to straight cut gear theeth unlike helical in forward gears)

What I understand is while slotting to R gear
the thread starter hears the sound of gears grinding say "krrrrrrrrrrrrr" (due to lack of synchronization)
Or whining noise while moving reverse. (due to straight cut gear theeth unlike helical in forward gears)
Yes the krrrr sound is mostly like it. As soon as I engage reverse the gear knob stays there and as the clutch is released this noise comes and gear stick vibrates (this happens with wagon R)

Hey Jayadev how do you know technical stuff on cars, do you read books on them?

Last edited:

Top Bottom