Vento Diesel - Emission Test Problem

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Vento Highline Diesel and my car turned 1 year this November. Insurance renewal and servicing done and it's now time to do emission test.

I visited a Emission test centre in the morning today in Bangalore. After doing tests for about 15 minutes.

Test Cycle 1 to Test Cycle 10 and each with Min RPM & Max RPM. He completed all of these and while printing the results, the system throws some error and it doesn't go through. He tried to repeat the test twice but nothing happened.

Then he told me that the Min RPM should be atleast 1000, but for all VW cars the min RPM is around 750 only. So he is not able to do the emission test.

I was surprised to hear this. I asked him again do you mean ALL VW cars and he said "Yes sir, ALL VW cars".

I am sure there are many fellow TAI members who have Vento (Diesel). Is this true?

Then how do we go about getting emission certificate? Are there any emission test centre in Bangalore where we can get it done for VW cars?

-Mari

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
at superbad. even a test center near my home said the same for my i10.

at mari - get the pollution check done from the vw service center.

Thread Starter #4
Thank you for @Superbad & @allhyundaicars

This is as per the emission test norms rules set by the authorities. The emission test centre guy told me that the min RPM should be 1000 and they should accelerate for a max RPM 5000.

But these days diesel cars can accelerate even at less than 1000 RPM and that's exactly the case with Vento. The min RPM is only 750 and the car will start moving at this RPM. But our norms are saying differently.

I visited another Emission test centre in the evening and looks like most VW cars visit this specific for getting PUC done.

After about ten minutes of struggle was lucky to get the emission test done.

Couple of questions: With Euro IV certified why do we need the PUC?
Also we never accelerate more than 3000 RPM ideally. Even at 140KM/hr my RPM will still be not more than 3000. Then why to check for max RPM of 5000?

The guy accelerated for more than 30 times (for max RPM) in the morning. And about 15 times in the evening. So for getting the PUC done, actually the emission test centre is helping in polluting the environment.

Last edited:
Thank you for @Superbad & @allhyundaicars

This is as per the emission test norms rules set by the authorities. The emission test centre guy told me that the min RPM should be 1000 and they should accelerate for a max RPM 5000.

But these days diesel cars can accelerate even at less than 1000 RPM and that's exactly the case with Vento. The min RPM is only 750 and the car will start moving at this RPM. But our norms are saying differently.

I visited another Emission test centre in the evening and looks like most VW cars visit this specific for getting PUC done.

After about ten minutes of struggle was lucky to get the emission test done.

Couple of questions: With Euro IV certified why do we need the PUC?
Also we never accelerate more than 3000 RPM ideally. Even at 140KM/hr my RPM will still be not more than 3000. Then why to check for max RPM of 5000?

The guy accelerated for more than 30 times (for max RPM) in the morning. And about 15 times in the evening. So for getting the PUC done, actually the emission test centre is helping in polluting the environment.
Hi Parthi, there is something wrong with the emsission centre guy or he doesn't knows the procedure to do the same.

While carrying out the test they will keep a magnetic sensor which guages the RPM.

Then a sensor(Stick like) is inserted into the engine oil, which measures the temperature of engine oil.

Then they rev the vehicle for not more than 10 seconds(@3000 RPM) every time, and they take 5 readings.
The reading is in the form of Purge values.

Hope they had opened the bonnet and did all these things.

Where do you stay, i can suggest you a emission centre who knows this well.

Btw even my Scorpio's RPM has been set to 800 RPM.

The torque is amazing at the 1st gear.

From a mall's steep UP the car can come up without any acceleration.

Btw how much did you pay for emission and the validity is for 6 months right?

Here is a list of emission test centers in Bangalore: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ol-certificate-shop-your-city.html#post122642

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Then a sensor(Stick like) is inserted into the engine oil, which measures the temperature of engine oil.
@Mukeshus: Now they have changed the mechanism. They don't insert the sensor into the engine oil.

Instead they connect two points - one to the battery and one at another point in the bonnet. And there is a meter to read the oil temp. He sits inside the car with this meter/reader and accelerates the vehicle for taking different readings (rpm, oil temp etc) for PUC.

The device clearly showed the error message that "Min RPM <1000 failed". I tried to get PUC in two emission centres and in both places it's the same error.

Looks like the second emission centre guys are more experienced and they were able to get the readings.

Idle rpm of Punto diesal and many cars are 800rpm.
God know what kind of specification is he reffering to,
That's what I was wondering - How can the testing mechanism be out dated or not considering how vehicles are operated now?

Either his machine is not caliberated or the person operating is not competent enough.you should get it done at a different PUC booth.

i have done 2 emission tests for my vento, no problems experienced. another thing i had noticed is that the engine doesn't go beyond 3000 rpm when the car is stationary and the gas pedal is floored. is it the same in all ventos. when i had pointed it to the ass guy he said that its normal.

i have done 2 emission tests for my vento, no problems experienced. another thing i had noticed is that the engine doesn't go beyond 3000 rpm when the car is stationary and the gas pedal is floored. is it the same in all ventos. when i had pointed it to the ass guy he said that its normal.
3000rpm sounds too low for a modern car.Can you try flooring the pedal on the go in 1st or second gear?

Punto goes upto 5200rpm .

I faced the same problem for my Etios Diesel this weekend. The emission test was unsuccessful. Etios also peaks at a lower rpm(around 2000) and it struggles to go above 3300. Somewhere I noticed that the equipment was asking for 5000 rpm and brought it to the notice of the guy.

I think it is some configuration issue of the testing equipment for diesel cars. I am thinking of taking it to the Toyota Service centre for getting this done.

There was a vento in front of me which had also left without getting a certificate - that's when I remembered about this thread[:)].

Thread Starter #14
I think it is some configuration issue of the testing equipment for diesel cars. I am thinking of taking it to the Toyota Service centre for getting this done.
Can you get the PUC done from Toyota Service centre? You can visit the HP bump near Phoenix mall in Mahadevapura. I got my PUC done here.

I think the 3000 RPM limit is for neutral only, once on the move Vento can climb as high as 5000 RPM.
They do the PUC when the car is idle. Per the new rules, they have to check the PUC readings for two RPM (min at 1000 and max at 5000) which was very difficult to achieve as the car was idle [:)]

Last edited:
Can you get the PUC done from Toyota Service centre? You can visit the HP bump near Phoenix mall in Mahadevapura. I got my PUC done here.
I was hoping that the Toyota Service centre can give it. Some of the toyota dealers are listed in the govt. approved testers.

Thanks for the reference on the HP bunk. I will try there first before going to Toyota Service centre.

Top Bottom