Trickle Charger / Solar Battery Charger Functioning

Thread Starter #1
i have doubts about how a solar battery charger/trickle charger works. they advise to connect to cigarette lighter socket and leave it on dashboard
front. so solar charger works giving minimal charge to battery in vehicles not used for long time hence protecting battery. But normally we dont get power in a power /cigarrete lighter socket unless ignition is started so how can the reverse ie battery charging occur without ignition key at on position in an unused car.pls see image attached for device

Attachments

A solar car charger converts light energy into a DC current. It obtains energy from the sun, although it can also be used in low light or cloudy weather conditions. Portable solar chargers are used for trickle charging, which means that a low level current is fed continuously to the battery so that it maintains its charge. Some models though, can be used to completely recharge a car battery but will cost a bit more. Simply place it near a window or on top of your car’s dashboard to absorb sunlight during the day. Some solar car battery chargers connect directly to the battery, while others feed power to the battery via the cigarette lighter/mobile power socket.

Hope this will help you. I am also looking for a good trickle chager. Let me know if anyone has the update about the product.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Gentlemen,
Ive done Solar conversions at Home at office. I don't think you need them unless you have an EV or Hybrid. I keep my vehicles parked for about a month without touching and battery has never run down randomly. If your battery runs down, it has either a Ghost load or damaged battery.

Also, Plugging chargers into cigar sockets WONT work.

Hi Ruman,

I just went through the above mentioned picture and found it costs more than Rs.3000/- (Can use that money for a new battery)
Its a 12v 1.5w solar panel. Definitely not enough to provide enough ampere to the battery.

I second to bhvm.
Once I kept my car for 2months without using, the battery was in its 3rd year and didn't even disconnected the battery terminals when leaving it unused. There was no issue.
My battery lasted 5.5 years and never failed to crank. I changed to new, since I started getting the feel of weakness while cranking and found two of the cells are too weak. So decided to change it inorder to avoid getting stranded.

OT: @Bhvm, is it possible for you to start a new thread on solar conversion for home/office?(I know time is a constrain. Anyways when you have time kindly try to make one which will be really helpful and motivating for the people who think to go green[:)].)
Recently I enquired about V-gaurd Solar conversion.The package includes.
1500VA Solar inverter
250W x 4 Solar panels
150AH x 4 Tubular Batteries
Rs.1,69,000/-

I know, using solar energy is not cheaper than KSEB bills(Kerala) but still instead of this combo package, if I go for purchasing the required things separately then it can be a lot more cheaper.

You could wire up another cigarette lighter socket exclusively for this with a non switched source it will keep your battery in better shape provided there's adequate sunlight.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi Ruman,

I just went through the above mentioned picture and found it costs more than Rs.3000/- (Can use that money for a new battery)
Its a 12v 1.5w solar panel. Definitely not enough to provide enough ampere to the battery.

I second to bhvm.
Once I kept my car for 2months without using, the battery was in its 3rd year and didn't even disconnected the battery terminals when leaving it unused. There was no issue.
My battery lasted 5.5 years and never failed to crank. I changed to new, since I started getting the feel of weakness while cranking and found two of the cells are too weak. So decided to change it inorder to avoid getting stranded.

OT: @Bhvm, is it possible for you to start a new thread on solar conversion for home/office?(I know time is a constrain. Anyways when you have time kindly try to make one which will be really helpful and motivating for the people who think to go green[:)].)
Recently I enquired about V-gaurd Solar conversion.The package includes.
1500VA Solar inverter
250W x 4 Solar panels
150AH x 4 Tubular Batteries
Rs.1,69,000/-

I know, using solar energy is not cheaper than KSEB bills(Kerala) but still instead of this combo package, if I go for purchasing the required things separately then it can be a lot more cheaper.
1)Price of 3K is totally loot. Solar prices are 70~80 Rs per watt. Smaller panels can be expensive at 100 Rs per watt. However 3000 is just nonsense.

2) Maintaining a Generic car battery (50~80AH) will reqire 0.5 to 1 Amp of current @ 13 to 14v
1.5 Watt panel will generate just 0.01A of current. Such low current will be lost in just wires and controller. Useless junk.

3) Thread created on demand-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...cussion-solar-diy-home-office.html#post416052

4) Solar conversion is not that costly. Lets discuss in the new thread about it.

You could wire up another cigarette lighter socket exclusively for this with a non switched source it will keep your battery in better shape provided there's adequate sunlight.
The concept itself is dumb. First it calls your car to be parked in harsh Sun and your paint, plastic will take much more beating than any battery you save due to solar.

Actually 1.5w is a bit more than 100ma or .1amp which should be sufficient to cover the current drawn when the engine is not running, the price is probably what the seller thinks his product can be sold at. A lot of car owners have to park their cars in the sun.

Top Bottom