What is Micro Hybrid Technology?

What do you think about MicroHybrid technology?

• Don't know what is MicroHybrid technology.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MicroHybrid technology is quite revolutionary.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • MicroHybrid technology is evolving currently.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • MicroHybrid technology is just a passing thing.

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Can anyone please explain the Micro Hybrid technology used by Mahindra in its vehicles?
Is the ARAI mileage quoted for Quanto, applicable only for the version with Micro Hybrid?

Re: Micro Hybrid Technology

Micro hybrid tech is your engine automatically turns off when at red light etc and saves fuel.As for the quanto I think it applies to all models.

Last edited:

Can anyone please explain the Micro Hybrid technology used by Mahindra in its vehicles?
Is the ARAI mileage quoted for Quanto, applicable only for the version with Micro Hybrid?
Micro hybrid tech is your engine automatically turns off when at red light etc and saves fuel.As for the quanto I think it applies to all models.
ya, @Theferrarifan has explained it rightly. However, i can never understand how they are calling it hybrid [confused] . Hybrid has got to be combination of TWO or more entities to fulfill a purpose. Example being : Petrol Engine + Electric motor. I myself would never call that hybrid. It feels more like a marketing gimmick from Mahindra to me. BTW, I personally feel that cars using petrol + LPG fuel should be called hybrid, even autos running on Kerosene+Diesel(if i'm saying it right) should be called Hybrid :stupid:

yeah hybrid is two different fuel powered motors in none car. This tech is called start stop auto or something. Because of the name many people compare it to the civic hybrid [lol]

Mahindra's MicroHybrid Technology

People who own Micro Hybrids, feedback or pointers please, Dealers, manufacturers claim at least 4-5% yearly savings in fuel due to MicroHybrid technology, especially if there is a significant amount of city driving involved. Is this true?

Expert comments, opinions, suggestions please.

Last edited:
Re: MicroHybrid technology

Yes what you said is true, Micro Hybrids famously known as start-stop systems is probably the simplest kind of gas-electric technology. The ECU will shut down the engine when the car comes to a halt and as soon as the driver disengage the clutch or accelerates the battery powers the starter motor and brings the engine back to its ON stage. From an investment stand point for automakers this technology is more feasible than the other forms of technology like Full Hybrids/Plug-in Hybrids/Mild hybrids.

In India i believe it was Mahindra who brought this technology through the Scorpio brand as you could see a 'Micro Hybrid' badge at its rear end and this feature was controlled using a switch so the driver has the liberty to use it as and when required. In Europe nowadays its a norm that all cars should have this feature.

Two advantages for start/stop systems - it will bring down pollution levels in traffic situations and will improve the FE moderately. On the other hand if the vehicle is having more of city run then the starter motor can turn faulty as this is primarily responsible for bringing the vehicle to ON condition.

Re: MicroHybrid technology

In Europe nowadays its a norm that all cars should have this feature.

Two advantages for start/stop systems - it will bring down pollution levels in traffic situations and will improve the FE moderately. On the other hand if the vehicle is having more of city run then the starter motor can turn faulty as this is primarily responsible for bringing the vehicle to ON condition.
Interesting to know that its the norm in EU nowadays. Also good point about possibility of the starter going bad sooner due to frequent ON/OFF.

There was once a perception or probably a misconception especially in the earlier days of the Bajaj scooter etc that turning OFF the vehicle & starting it back again probably consumes/wastes even more fuel than leaving it idling for that 30-60 seconds at a traffic light. Maybe true for older vehicles.

I am definitely of the opinion that any automation like microhybrid will be good & better than depending on humans to themselves conserve the fuel who will always forget.

Also for those who did not know, microhybrid feature can be turned OFF with a flick of a button in most cars which have this feature.

Last edited:
Re: Mahindra's MicroHybrid Technology

May be the blower can keep the cool air throw for 2-3 minutes, though A/c switch off in the middle of hot,dusty polluted city traffic may another disadvantage(?)

Re: Mahindra's MicroHybrid Technology

May be the blower can keep the cool air throw for 2-3 minutes, though A/c switch off in the middle of hot,dusty polluted city traffic may another disadvantage(?)
Yeah I don't think cooling will be affected in less than 5 mins. Microhybrid does shut the engine off completely as far as I know.

^^Micro hybrid does shut the engine off completely and A/c also will not work as far as I know. I don't think cooling will last for 5 minutes unless it is night/cold outside. In our city, morning 10-5 unless it is raining, cooling will not last more than 2 minutes.

Top Bottom