What’s the Function of Small Cup Like Thing in Front of Headlamp Bulbs?

Thread Starter #1
Moderators, please put this in the relevant thread. I do not know where my question comes in.

Will the forum members please tell me:

1. What is this small silvery cup like thing that is fixed in front of the headlight bulb?

2. What is its function?

3. Would we get more light by removing it?

4. Should remove it at all?

Thanks.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Function of This Small, Cup-like Thing in front of the Headlight Bulb

Disperspective,

Thanks for that piece of American wisdom. But my technical curiosity is not satisfied. What does that thing do? Ritz headlamp does not have it but figo does. Please share information

American cars require American wit to comprehend and put up with. FORD stands for fixed or repaired daily lol

That "cup" is a very important part of the headlamps. It blocks the waste white light which would go has a hot beam if the cup is not there. The cup reflects the light from the bulbs back to the reflectors which give us a spreaded beam of light rather than a single hot beam (if there is no cup).

freakdude.

Moderators, please put this in the relevant thread. I do not know where my question comes in.

Will the forum members please tell me:

1. What is this small silvery cup like thing that is fixed in front of the headlight bulb?

2. What is its function?

3. Would we get more light by removing it?

4. Should remove it at all?

Thanks.
As mentioned by Freakdude, It is a mini reflector to capture the radiated light from front part of the lamp and throwing it to long throw reflectors at rear incidentally improving light output and efficiency.
If observed it closely you will notice it moving (motorized) while you adjust the low beam throw.

Some of the high end Halogens come with a reflector on the lamp tip which helps to boost temperature of filament giving brighter whiter light.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The cups are there to reflect the light coming out of the bulb's tip which causes glare and blind the on coming drivers. But today most of the bulb's itself have a coating on the tip of the bulb to prevent this from happening which makes this cup built in the headlight housing redundant.

Thread Starter #8
Please correct me if I am wrong. The cups are there to reflect the light coming out of the bulb's tip which causes glare and blind the on coming drivers. But today most of the bulb's itself have a coating on the tip of the bulb to prevent this from happening which makes this cup built in the headlight housing redundant.
That is right. Halogen bulbs have blackened tips. Besides these "cups" in front of the bulbs do not have reflective concave insides and, therefore, are not definitely designed to reflect back the front-of-the-bulb light back to the main reflector and add to the strength of the main beam. Block the stray light? may be. But then Ritz and other Maruti cars do not have these bulb-front cups. How do they manage stray light then?

Has any one in the forum twiddled with this thing and observed any differnece?

thanks to all members for their input.

Already i am suffereing from the poor Headlights of my Esteem 06. Which has this cup and adjustable motor too. whether removing this cup will help me to get better light.My car has stock 55/60W bulbs still in use. if i change the bulb to 100/90 W, if the excessive heat will melt the this cup in front of the bulb?

Last edited:
replacing your stock bulbs with 90/100 will be a good option, you will only have to fix a cutout so that the current is correctly maintained.

replacing your stock bulbs with 90/100 will be a good option, you will only have to fix a cutout so that the current is correctly maintained.
It's called a relay buddy!!! Also, if going that way, make sure you get good quality ceramic holders too.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #14
Dear Members,

Please do not lead this thread into a discussion of the pros and cons of upgrading into 90/120 bulbs. I am sure automotivindia has a relevant section/thread for it.

This thread concerns the construction of the headlamp internals and the possible function of that cup/shield in front of the bulb. I am sure much R&D has gone into it. But the real question is, does it really serve any practical purpose. Has any member tried removing it and found any difference?

For one thing, it definitely is not a small reflector bouncing back light from the front part of the bulb on to the main reflector. What then is its real purpose?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Begarkitta

as somebody exnplained correctly its function is to capture the Light scatter in such a way

BTW why do you want to tamper and remove anything stock?

As somebody said, why FIX anything when it is not Broken??

I like your curiosity part, but please refrain from fixing anything if it is not causing you any trouble[roll]

Top Bottom