Abnormal Sound At High Speeds

Thread Starter #1
hi,

I have a 2010 alto 21000 kms and have recently experienced problems of excessive/abnormal sound coming from the front of the car at speeds over 60kms/hr. the car behaves normal at low speeds. the car has recnetly been serviced at 20000 kms. I am unable to makeout exactly where it is coming from. please help

Can you please elaborate the nature of the sound? Is it a metallic humming sound of a kat-kat kind of sound. Does the sound increase as you accelerate? Is your car pulling towards any side? Also, are your rims/alloys heating more than normal when you halt?

freakdude.

Thread Starter #4
this problem only starts when i increase the speed beyond 60km/hr . The car is not pulling to any side though and I guess the steering doesnt shake even at speeds of 100 kms/hr. Tyre/ alloy temperatures seem to be fine. yes i guess its a constant mechanical humming sound that gets more than normal at higher speeds. in the first week of october I did accidentally go over a speedbreaker at high speed(due to fog) but I had the underbody thouroughly inspected at a MASS immediately and nothing abnormal was found. however wheel balancing/ alignment was not checked during this service(all oils filters were changed). Another problem I had 2 weeks ago was the failure of the right axle/transmission housing seal leading to a slight transmission oil leak. Could this all be related? The car however feels fine to drive its just that the noise level is more than I am used to from my car.

Last edited:
Looks like you have nailed the issue yourselves. Get the lower arms checked thoroughly. Also, get the wheel bearings checked too, they too produce the same kind of sound at higher speeds.

freakdude.

Sorry to bump into this thread, but even I am facing the same problem on my alto k10. I failed to notice a speed breaker when it was raining and since then facing this problem. I even gave my vehicle to ASC for a general service(no oil change) and continuously insisting him to rectify this problem but he failed to identify and his response was this problem is common after the car crosses 10K kms. I ended up paying 2k without any solution!

Did you check the hear oil level ? Also check if you are getting any sound while you turn the car to extreme right or left, if yes get the drive shafts checked.

Thread Starter #8
the gear oil was changed last month and the level is fine. I am not getting any sound at low speeds/ sharp turning. DO you guys think the abnormal sound and failure of the right axle/ transmission housing seal two weeks ago are somehow related and pointing to some misalignment issue?

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you know this problem maybe hard to find. since you have done a thorough checking of the underbody i can't say what can be the problem.

but indeed the service center guys are missing it [confused]

Mine is just 13k driven car and every check including the alignment and other misc. checks have been done(as per the ASC Manager) in the recent service. I neither get any sound when it is steered extreme right or left. Now thinking to approach a local garage to analize the issue.

Thread Starter #11
Actually the MASS guys could not find anything wrong with the car but when I got the gear oil leak repaired at a local garage two weeks ago the mechanic drove the car for a bit and informed me of a minor problem with one of front wheel bearings. we were only driving around in the city at max 40km/hr (he could hear something and I felt everything to be normal ), he said it did not need any immediate attention and that the repair would cost about 1000 and maybe take an hour. The excess noise problem started maybe a week after the seal replacement. I remembered this after reading freakdude's post about getting the wheel bearings checked. Could the wheel bearings fail after just 21000 kms. would the noise coming from a damged wheel bearing increase with speed? Maybe thats why the MASS guys missed the problem beause they did not drive the car!. I guess I should get the wheel bearings checked asap

Actually the MASS guys could not find anything wrong with the car but when I got the gear oil leak repaired at a local garage two weeks ago the mechanic drove the car for a bit and informed me of a minor problem with one of front wheel bearings. we were only driving around in the city at max 40km/hr (he could hear something and I felt everything to be normal ), he said it did not need any immediate attention and that the repair would cost about 1000 and maybe take an hour. The excess noise problem started maybe a week after the seal replacement. I remembered this after reading freakdude's post about getting the wheel bearings checked. Could the wheel bearings fail after just 21000 kms. would the noise coming from a damged wheel bearing increase with speed? Maybe thats why the MASS guys missed the problem beause they did not drive the car!. I guess I should get the wheel bearings checked asap
If the humming is minor, read very minor, then you can just do away with proper lubrication. If it helps good for you, but if not and the sound keeps increasing then do not wait and get the bearings replaced. Also, 1k for bearings is cheap, make sure your mech. is not talking about some cheap Chinese things. Wheel bearings are very critical and so replace them with genuine ones only.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #13
hi,
I had the wheel bearings thoroughly examined at A.S.S and they seem to be fine also had wheel alignment/balancing done.I have also noticed now that the loud noise seems to increase when accelerating beyond 60km/hr, if I lift off the accelerator or place the car in neutral at high speeds the sound goes away. any ideas?

hi,
I had the wheel bearings thoroughly examined at A.S.S and they seem to be fine also had wheel alignment/balancing done.I have also noticed now that the loud noise seems to increase when accelerating beyond 60km/hr, if I lift off the accelerator or place the car in neutral at high speeds the sound goes away. any ideas?
To me it still looks like the case of wheel bearings or lower arms. Get them checked at a reputed garage and not at FORD to get a second opinion.

freakdude.

Also check the drive shafts even they might have been damaged.

How are the brakes, are they working fine? Check if the brake pads have worn out ..

Top Bottom