Query About Engine RPM !

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
hello all , just had a query about engine rpm.

i have 2 cars , i10 and verna and both have rpm gauges.
before verna , i used to drive my 10 and usually shift to 5th when the car reached 50 kmph.

then i started driving verna , being 1.6 liter engine and according to the MID , now i shift to 5th when the car reaches 60.
mostly i drive in 4th gear , speeds varying between 40-60. ( this way i get the maximum fuel efficiency and no engine vibrations)

so here's the question , now sometimes when i drive my 10 i'm following the same thing i do in my verna , shift to 5th only when speed reaches 60+ or else if i drive at 50kmph in 5th gear i get that vibration which tells to downshift.

and both the cars at 50kmph in 4th gear , rpm is around 1800-1900. so how's this possible ?

one car being 1.2 and the other being 1.6 but still at same speeds and gear, the rpm is the same ?[confused]

and what should i follow ?

1. drive at 4th mostly in speeds 40-60 kmph.
2. drive at 5th as soon as car reaches 50 kmph.

i hope i'm clear on my question.

Thread Starter #5

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Have a good read of the link below, I know you'll enjoy it.

HowStuffWorks "How Gear Ratios Work"

freakdude.
thanks freakdude for the link [;)] i got to know a lot about gear ratio [thumbsup]
i know how gear stuff works now.

so what's the gear ratio in cars [confused] i'm sorry i don't know a lot about engines so that's why all these questions.

maybe you can give some more links. i'd happy to read them all.

Happy to help buddy!!

I doubt if such details would be available in the owner's manual. If you have a nice relation with the Hyundai service guys, try sourcing a service manual (or a PDF of it), it would for sure have such details. You can search the same on internet too, but there is no credibility of the information presented.

freakdude.

Last edited:

Top Bottom