Sorry that the HTML content nor the docx format is working...that leaves you all with only text less pictures. :(
TATA Manza Quadrajet 90 AURA -- Engine Oil Replacement & Engine Oil Filter replacement
Preparation: a) Borrowed one Hydraulic jack from friend. Lift the car from front & enter under the car through the driver side. Ensure by shaking that it is firm, before I get under it. It is advised to have handbrakes on while you raise the car. Do physical verification if anything is amiss or glaringly calling for a visit to specialists.
b) Figured from owner’s manual on the engine oil requirement & specifications including make/model & specification. I’ve opted for Mobil 1 0W-40, 4 Liter pack, which costs ₹ 4,400/- (as on 07th Aug’15 MRP printed is ₹ 5,400/-) at Pondicherry (After getting some discount). There are better offers in Mobil1 0W-40 Fully synthetic engine oil for cars in 4 liter
(09th Aug’15 was listing a price of just ₹3,996/-), to that extent, I bought it at 10+% more across counter. Figure 1.
We shall be using 3.5 litres of oil & it would be advised, just before action, remove 500ml of oil after measuring it using measuring jar. To Ensure that you’re having 3.5 Litres of oil in the can.
100ml is the tolerance attributed to losses, if any.
c) Had to visit TATA authorised spare part shop to buy the Engine oil filter. MRP was printed as ₹ 385/- but again after bargain, could get it at ₹ 360/-. Figure 2.
d) Five liters of Diesel to clean the engine before pouring the new engine oil (Flushing agent).
e) Card board (part of packing material) or bunch of newspapers where you can rest your back to slide under the card.
i) No 6 Allen key or # 45 Torex driver bit for opening the engine oil drain plug. With ratchet wrench
ii) 27mm wrench for opening the engine oil filter.
iii) Tray to hold the old engine oil
iv) Cloths to clean the dirt & spills. Ensure you place, few old newspapers below the oil sump. Let us take all precaution to ensure that spills are as minimal.
v) Funnel to pour the Oil into the inlet.
PHASE I -- ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT
1) Push Open the hood of the car. Open the car engine oil inlet cover & remove engine oil measure stick to ensure that no residual remain & free flow is allowed.
2) Double check if brake is in place.
3) Let the car engine be running for short time about 150 seconds with high throttle, for oil to flow out smoothly. Switch of the engine.
4) Place the jack on front side to lift the car sufficiently about 15 inches above ground. Once evenly set, ensure that you check it by shaking the car (not rocking it) to confirm its seating.
5) Place a card board or new papers, where you can just slip beneath the car. Keep necessary tools by your side.
6) Loosen the drain plug, don’t open it fully yet. You may have to use good amount of power to loosen the drain plug. Long handle tools would make things easier for you. You may add pipes to the tool to give the extension, which I did in my case.
7) Place the oil collection tray under the drain tray. With hand unscrew the drain plug slowly and let the engine plug fall in the tray with oil.
8) Wait till the oil is flushed out. Replace the drain plug & tighten it. It takes about 5-7 minutes.
9) Get out from beneath the car & pour 3.5Liters of the NEW engine oil through the inlet. Place the oil measure stick back.
PHASE II -- ENGINE OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT
10) Now, remove the rubber air duct over the engine oil filter holder.
11) Using the 27mm wrench remove the Engine filter cover, gradually using a cloth hold the filter which would be dripping with residual oil.
12) Remove the oil engine oil filter ALONG with the O ring and replace it with new. Apply some oil over the O-ring before placing it back.
13) Place it back and tighten it (Don’t use excess force, as case is of plastic)
14) Replace the aid rubber duct.
15) Remove the card board/Paper below the car. Check if there are any oil spills.
16) Remove the jack & rest the car on its wheels. Remove hand breaks & let the car be in neutral.
17) Start the car and see if all indicators are fine.
18) Have a short trip and check if there are any leaks beneath ;)
That done & you’ve the satisfaction of not being duped by service centre. Of course all the hardship gives you that extra knowledge.
Observations: Noise has reduced by few decibels & pickup has increased substantially. This on a test drive for about 10Kms.